BrokenTune 1 year ago
Hm. I find your misgivings very helpful as I didn't know whether to give Atkinson another go. Now I know.

It's not great that the book is disappointing so far.
Lillelara 1 year ago
In the context of this being a mystery, I do find Atkinsons writing style to be a bit pretentious. It might be a bit harsh for me to say so, but this is just how I feel about it.

Anyway, I´ve just come back from a walk and I really don´t feel like picking this book back up again. I might just DNF it.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I hope your next one will work better for you. What's your next book in sight?
Lillelara 1 year ago
I haven´t the faintest clue just yet. And I don´t know what I´m in the mood for. Which is the worst :(.

I will be finishing up Antony and Cleopatra in the next hour or so, though.
Mike Finn 1 year ago
I liked this series, especially "Started Early, Took My Dog" and "Big Sky". The writing style, gliding in and out of the consciousness of multiple characters, stays the same.

Jackson Brody links them together but really he's a small boat being tossed about in a sea of women and mistakenly believing he's setting his own course.

Everyone is VERY messed up these books. They're about betrayal and abuse and corruption and the harm people do to each other and themselves. Every now and then, there's some pleasing revenge and so encouraging bravery but that's about it.

The plot reminds me of pointillist paintings, you can only see the pattern from a distance and by then, the book is over - much like life I guess.

S
Lillelara 1 year ago
Oh boy, I really don´t think I´m going to enjoy this series then. Thanks for clearing this up for me, Mike :)
Portable Magic 1 year ago
Hmm I've had several of her books on my TBR but have never gotten around to reading them. This doesn't motivate me to bump any of them up,either. Since mysteries tend to be very plot-driven, a writer who prioritizes style over story probably should stay away from the genre.