I don't necessarily care for Ustinov as Poirot, but that particular movie is both total eye candy and an all-star extravaganza, down to the minor roles.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I am a bit lukewarm on anything aside from the Suchet adaptations because I feel like he has brought Poirot to life in such a deep and respectful way that no one else will ever match up. Plus, I am not generally a huge fan of 1970's movies. On the other hand: Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury & Bette Davis. Goddesses all.
Obi 2 years ago
And David Niven,and Mia Farrow...
... and David Soul ... (almost unrecognizable) ...
Obi 2 years ago
...and also in the David Suchet version? Wow....
He's Andrew Pennington in the David Suchet version.
Obi 2 years ago
Oh,yes I know,but I thought you meant in the Ustinov version...my fault
You're right, actually -- my fault: He is in the Ustinov version of "Appointment with Death"!
Obi 2 years ago
I never saw that one! I've seen Evil under the Sun(with wonderful Cole Porter music) but what a great booksite this is,you always " learn "something,I know now that I have to check this one out! Thanks
Yes, definitely. It's actually more faithful to the novel than the David Suchet adaptation (for once) ...
Jennifer's Books 2 years ago
Ooooooh, JJ Feild! :D So handsome!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I have a soft spot for the Ustinov adaptations even tho Suchet just "is" Poirot.
What totally makes me chuckle is that David Suchet actually is Inspector Japp in some of the Ustinov movies. :) (Those set in Britain.)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
yup. And he's hilariously bad in the one I've seen him in. He's obviously made up for it since. ;)
I'm blaming it all on the directorial approach and the production. I mean, just look at those movies -- they were dated and at best guilty pleasure material essentially the moment they'd been released!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I know. I still love them. :)
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I've never seen any of them! Death on the Nile is going to be the first one that I watch, although I definitely also want to see Murder on the Orient Express as well. I'll likely end up buying them all over time.
I don't think there's a Ustinov version of "Orient Express"?

That said, I just saw that there *will* be a Kenneth Branagh incarnation of "Death on the Nile" ... with Branagh directing, as well as starring as Poirot. I so do NOT need that in my life!!
Oh god, not another Branagh. I saw "Orient Express" last summer (on a train journey, no less), and couldn't stand his Poirot.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
You're right - it's Albert Finney. I'm still planning on watching it.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
I hear you, although I will no doubt go see it.

His Poirot is not good, but the production values are so pretty.
The Albert Finney "Orient Express" is great. I still prefer David Suchet obviously, but of all the other Poirots, Finney is, relatively speaking, the closest to the books -- and the rest of the cast is off-the-wall fabulous. (So are the production values.)
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, God, no. No to Branagh as Poirot. Never again. *shakes head* ... *shakes fist* I'm still upset by his Orient Express mess. Finney and Suchet and Ustinov all the way!!
Do we have time to sabotage the production??? Asking for a friend.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I mean, not that I am advocating sinking the Karnak or anything...
BrokenTune 2 years ago
...but maybe one can train a romp of otters to distract the cameras?
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
A romp of otters sounds perfectly delightful.
It does!!
Obi 2 years ago
What about crocodiles?
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
Apparently a grouping of crocodiles is called a "bask," which is awesome, although significantly less adorable than a romp of otters.

A bask of crocodiles.
Or a business of ferrets, I love that term.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
A charm of finches and a mischief of mice.
... and an unkindness of ravens ...

I love these -- all of them!
Sounds good! This will be a first read for me too.