Bark at the Ghouls 6 years ago
I'm an introvert and am fine with that. I meet a bunch of friends once a month and we chat for 2 hrs about books and kids and other fun stuff and that's all the socialization I usually need (or want). Socializing just to get out or "meet new people" doesn't really appeal to me.I'd rather hang out with my family and my dogs and my books.. Strangers usually exhaust me.
6 years ago
I'm the same.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
I'm finally at the point where I'm really happy about being an introvert - mainly because I've stopped listening to all the well meaning advice about "it's good for you to get out and around people more." Which no, it's not - I need nice alone time to read and think - it makes me a happier person. So now I think I enjoy being around people more because I've had my introvert-time.
Gregor Xane 6 years ago
Year of the Goat! Year of the Goat!

And I'm like y'all. I like books, quiet. Maybe have a few old friends over for a visit. But I just talk about books and nobody I know in meatworld reads like I do, so I just wind up talking about and recommending books I know they'll never read.
6 years ago
Oh man, that sounds so familiar.
Sarah's Library 6 years ago
I don't recommend because, like you said Gregor, they're not likely to ever read the book anyway. What's even more disheartening is when they don't even recognise the authors I talk about or any of the books I've read. I don't mean random obscure books/authors, I mean like popular books that have been made into popular movies and they still don't know them - The Secret Life of Bees, The Help, et al.
Gregor Xane 6 years ago
Yes, it is sad that MOST people DON'T read fiction for pleasure (or non-fiction, for that matter).
Sarah's Library 6 years ago
Batgrl, it's like you're me from another country. Five of my girl friends and I meet for 'First Friday of the Month' dinner, every month (obviously) for two or three hours of dinner and dessert (and no alcohol, no one drinks much) and that's about it. They all have other friends that they see more frequently, but if I'm around groups of people more often I tend to get grumpy and irritated with all the attention and then a night out isn't so much fun and I end up wishing I hadn't gone out at all. I've never needed much human contact, my family is enough without adding in restaurants full of people. Most Friday nights (that aren't the first of the month) I spend reading a book with my dog or watching tv with my dog, and I'm perfectly happy with that and don't want my life to be anything different.