It is possible that the man has the same name.

I believe no one can stop you from working under your real name, so legally he can write under Stephen King if that is, indeed, his name.
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
Seriously? Even the font on the name is nearly identical! That should not be allowed. I'm just glad I read the sample.
That could be an issue if the publisher used font that is protected. Even if not, if similar enough, /that/ could be considered fraud. But someone more knowledgable about where the line between 'seems sketchy' and 'actual fraud' would have to weigh in on this, I think. (And I think you and others on the board have valid concerns: the font use and similar covers seem sketchy at best.)

But I think everyone jumps to that if someone writes with the same name. I have before. Authors do have the same/similar names. (Sometimes just a middle initial separates them.) It sucks because it can get confusing, but I'm not sure anyone can do anything about that. Having a different font on the cover is a different issue. And on that board the author claims it is his real name. And I see no reason not to believe him, given how common both the name Stephen and the surname King are.
Familiar Diversions 5 years ago
That's apparently not the only work the author has on Amazon: http://stephenking.com/xf/index.php?threads/fake-stephen-king-book.10770/

Even if that's the guy's real name, I wonder whether that's some kind of trademark violation.
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
Wow, what a scam he's got going.
Just because he may be using his real name - and that's not a certainty* - it doesn't mean he isn't being skeevy.

*I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I know if it's his real name or not. Not differentiating himself more - different font, such similar covers - seems odd if he's not trying to ride off Stephen King's - the one of It fame - coattails, so that more than anything makes me think he's being a little scammy.
5 years ago
This guy has been on Amazon for at least two years. Somehow, he is getting away with it.
I still loved this post though, Bark. Errr, or should I call you Nora?
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
My news is always fresh ;) This is just so shady. They should, at the very least, force him to use an initial.

You can call me Bark until I release my first work of literary wonder.
I'm not sure Amazon can force him to do so, other than by saying, 'we refuse to sell books that aren't verified as the real Stephen King under that name.'

And that may be a lot of work, and may make them vulnerable to a lawsuit themselves, so they may not want to do so. Googling this, the reviews he's getting - not the real Stephen King - and lack of visibility are good reasons to go with a pseudonym.
Familiar Diversions 5 years ago
I think the burden is probably more on Stephen King (the famous one) and his legal representatives than on Amazon. I don't believe Amazon is legally required to keep their metadata neat and clean. I'm thankful for that, actually, or I imagine all libraries would be in trouble as well.
And I don't mean to brush this off: it's incredibly frustrating. The thing is, I'm not sure anyone can legally do anything that doesn't leave them vulnerable to a lawsuit. As for famous Stephen King, well, he's probably making so much and so busy, I'm not sure he even realizes another Stephen King has books for sale.

It's incredibly frustrating. On so many levels. But it also may be something we just have to get more savvy about as readers at this point. Amazon's stance seems to be 'it's his real name, we will not do anything about it,' given that forum discussion, so...
Hol 5 years ago
Oh my God. Does the real King know!? He'd be horrified lol!
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
I know, right?!
BrendaSD 5 years ago
it appears "someone" does as the page for that book is no longer available
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
Wow, I can't believe they actually did something about it!
If you click on the book cover at BookLikes and click on the author's name, it directs you to the "real" Stephen King's page. I just reported this to BookLikes and told them the book has been taken off of Amazon. This kind of thing really gets me mad!
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
It's so deceptive and sleazy. The writing isn't even readable and people are buying this.
Oh, has he done sleazy things in the past?
If they don't have a page, it just reroutes you to a search for that author's name - and other King's book are more popular. If anything, it's a flaw of Amazon's that allows people to believe two authors are one and the same.

I clicked on the other King's hyperlinked name, and it took me to his author page. It's a little more work, but it should differentiate the two.
See, this seems to me to be more of a problem with the way Amazon works.

If the author doesn't have a page, reroute to search and mix names. Terribly confusing.
I've seen it before, actually.
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
Report each and every book. Yesterday I was successful in having this book pulled by doing so. Go to the bottom of the book page on Amazon, click on "Would you like to report this content as inappropriate? ", "other" and then explain that this guy is an impostor.