Familiar Diversions 8 years ago
I've read the first four Dexter books, and this first one is probably my favorite. The killings/mutilations get to be a bit much for me in at least a couple of the other books.

I remember thinking something similar about Dexter constantly telling readers that he's unemotional, not human, etc. I wasn't entirely sure I agreed with him, since it seemed to me like he at least felt affection for his sister.
Bark at the Ghouls 8 years ago
Very true, I think he's trying to convince himself because he believes he's a monster incapable of human emotion but it's not entirely true.
Ultramarine 8 years ago
I added this series to my "to read list" and wasn't sure about it. Now that the show is over I really feel like having a reminder. I was wondering how good it was.
Ultramarine 8 years ago
About the "no feelings" thing. even in the show it sounded like a personality disorder. Something like Schizoid Personality Disorder - these people have a hard time with intimacy and understanding emotion (there is also a personality trait [in the common population] called Alexitimia which is a difficulty in expressing emotion but also identifying the emotion within yourself - you can guess men are higher on this trait than women ;)) . If you look these things up on WIKI you can find it really explains Dexter's way of thinking. Though I should add it has nothing to do with his "dark passenger" or the need to kill..
Bark at the Ghouls 8 years ago
I really enjoyed these two books. They're very different than the show but still very interesting. I'll have to look Alexitimia up. I've never heard of that before now.
Ultramarine 8 years ago
I encountered it by mistake as well! :D I did a seminar on it in my degree. You kinda realize most of the guys you know "has it" since it's a characteristic trait just like any other trait - stubbornness, perfectionism etc. In my eyes
for Dexter it's mostly about the Schizoid Personality Disorder though..