I hate that! Ugh.

:( I'm sorry to hear you got taken in by the abridgment.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It's annoying as hell but fortunately I just found an available unabridged copy at my library. I'm glad I threw in the towel at disc 3 before I ruined the book for myself.
Familiar Diversions 7 years ago
I loathe abridgments. These days, I only listen to them by accident. My hatred of abridgments even affected my work procedures. I bend library cataloging rules and put whether something is abridged or unabridged in the edition statement field, so that it will display in results lists next to the book's title. I figure, if I care that much about whether something is abridged or not, probably other audiobook listeners do too. Thank goodness I'm my library's only cataloger and can change our procedures however I see fit. As long as it's all documented. :)
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I wish we had a cataloger like you at my library. I don't understand why anyone buys these things.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It's frustrating. I ruined a Tess Gerritsen book this way a few years ago and vowed never to do it again. I'm just glad I figured it out before I finished the book.
7 years ago
I'm sorry that happened to you. It looks like, from the comments here, that that happens a lot with audiobooks? I never knew that, since I'm relatively new to those.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It happens a lot if you buy the actual CD's or borrow them from the library. It's usually the first thing I check but every now and then I slip up and this happens.
Abandoned by user 7 years ago
Why, why do they do this? Abridged books are an abomination.

If people are too effing lazy to read/listen to the full-length version, then they should go watch a television show or something.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I just don't get it. I suppose back in the day it was cheaper to produce an abridged version (and possibly it still is?) but I just can't imagine that die hard readers are clamoring for them.