Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I'm just so tired of the clutter. I used to love having my own personal library but now I just want them out of here! I think it's because I'm reading more books on my Ereader. I keep buying but the ebooks aren't taking over my closet.
willaful 7 years ago
Good on ya! You can always find those kind of books again, in the off chance you ever feel like reading them.

I *am* a book hoarder, but I've let a lot go and feels so much better. I find that stopping them from coming into the house in the first place helps a lot -- decisions made!
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Yeah, I've realized that if I ever get an undying urge to read any of them I can easily find them at the library or on ebook. There's just no reason to keep hanging on. I've slowed way down on bringing them in to the house too and that's helping with the decluttering. Maybe I'll post my bins of shame one of these days to really get me motivated.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Sad but true. Some of them haven't seen the light of day in years.
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
If currently in print, I can let it go unless autographed. Sometimes I'll keep an earlier book in a series until next one published in case I want to skim back through some complicated bits or a strange ending. Since the first kindle came out, I've been reading almost exclusively on ereaders. Out of print hardcopy books, if not interested in reading anymore and no friend wants--donated. I'll try to buy an eBook version if still interested in reading an out of print; if available, donate. My house has a lot of steps so there are usually strays on treads to be carried out to the donate boxes I keep in my trunk until in library or by goodwill.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Sounds like you have a good system going. I think I'm going to try to find time to go through a bag a week. I worked next door to UBS for years and I spent nearly every lunch hour (and every paycheck) in that store. I want to relocate in a few years and refuse to drag all of this along with me.
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
I refuse to dust the things anymore. Plus, I'm out of bookshelf space so they are in plastic tubs or assorted bags and boxes (none of a which are easy to lug around—hence the strays I can easily carry). I do feel like a hoarder. Plus some are boxes/bags I got from other people moving ...

I have stopped accepting random boxes/bags of books from people although I offer to let them put it in my trunk and I would drop it at library or charity shop my next trip out. I just so appreciated it back in pre-internet days and work schedules/budgets that meant I was book limited. I try to remember how much I appreciated cheap books at goodwill and places and think of my books going to a reader who will appreciate; even if library sells the books for fundraising that is still a good cause and I do borrow ebooks from the library.

I seriously have probably moved five or more times with some of those boxes of books.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I hate dusting them too and like you I've stopped being the book dumping ground for friends and family. I assumed I would be able to swap most of them on paperbackswap but no one wants them and they just sit around taking up precious space.
Jamie's Book Blog 7 years ago
Good for you. Those books need a loving home and somebody who will give them some attention :)

I've found that some Hospices make a good place to get rid of unwanted books. There's alot of young adults and even adults who get left out around the holiday's when so many donate toys for sick children so I always try to find one and donate some books or something and to let them know it's for all the older kids :) But you don't have to wait just for holiday's. Alot of charity's, hospitals, hospices, etc will take books along with other donations.

Sounds like you have a good system going on :)
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
That's a good idea. There is a hospice very close to me so I'll give them a call and see if they can accept them.
Tackling Mt. TBR 7 years ago
I so wish I could do this! I definitely need to get rid of some of my books that I've lost interest in, but I have trouble letting them go.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It took me a long time before I could get to this point. I started with the old kids books and am gradually working my way towards the "bins of shame" which contain hundreds of books that I just had to have. I'm almost afraid to crack them open.
Tackling Mt. TBR 7 years ago
That is a lot like me. I have four big totes of books. One of the totes I do have earmarked for a yard sale in the spring because I KNOW I will never read them, but the others sit there and I keep thinking that *maybe* I'll need them one day.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Maybe I should just lug them into the car and drop them off without looking!
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It does feel freeing, doesn't it? I've only regretted letting go of one limited run book but other than that I never look back.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I don't have a spare room (yet) which is probably a really good thing because I would most definitely fill it up with books. I've held on to many of my tbr books for so long now that even the UBS won't take them.
willaful 7 years ago
We have a support thread at PBS that helped a lot of us with our book decluttering... I think I'll start a group.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Good idea. It sounds like we need one.
BUGGY 7 years ago
So proud of you, its always tough to let go of books and I should really follow your example. My bookshelves are bending, not to mention the stacks on the floor and the boxes in storage. I could especially relate to "I've bought so many books that I no longer have any interest in reading that it's embarrassing." well that and the "hoarder" comment LMAO
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I have this fear that my bedroom book shelf which is 6 shelves and 6' tall and stacked 3 books deep will either one day fall through the floor and land in the basement OR topple over and kill me in my sleep. That thing is so heavy and every now and then it wobbles.
Ultramarine 7 years ago
That's one of the reasons I prefer e-books. I actually own about 15 books right now (all I had I either gave a way to the public library or gave to my brother). Except for one all are in Hebrew. I guess since half of them were written in Hebrew they'll stay on my shelf until I could buy them as e-books (right now it's complected some books you can buy as an e-book but you only get "permission" to read them on a certain program they supply on a tablet, you don't get to save the real file so you could open it in a different device - like the kindle).
I don't know if it's about having too much books as having too much in general. I like moving to new apartments and most of them are small so I rather have less things to pack and unpack. I have a lot of beauty staff but I give away things I don't use, nail polish are the same, I try having less as possible while not giving it all away. So I guess for me anything virtual is better :) I can have as much as I want while not really having much at all ;)
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Wow, that's amazing. I hope to one day get the real books down to a reasonable amount but I don't think I'll ever be able to cull it down to 15. I've been trying to minimize everything in my home but books and beauty products are the hardest to let go!
Ultramarine 7 years ago
yeah.. beauty products was a "disease" for me.. I only allow myself to buy something I need to replace or if I really want something SPECIAL. I also gave away all the things I didn't use so now I have quite a lot I guess but not THAT much. I'm also not allowing myself to buy any lotions and staff like that. After a few months from this decision I still have something like 4 whole new body creams.. I don't know how I got that many in the first place and I can't even believe I got down to just those 4 :D
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
That's great progress! I haven't bought a new body in 2 years because I had so many. People love to give me them as gifts but it just to a ridiculous amount and they take forever to use up.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I sure hope they find some love somewhere because they weren't getting any at my house.
Debbie's Spurts 7 years ago
My eyesight makes me really prefer ebooks now. So I have some stacks of favorites that won't be donated until I slowly replace in ebook form (I think I need to buy more lottery tickets). Otherwise, I have been letting go of a lot just by thinking about how excited another reader might be to discover...

I also have one of those husbands always planning on building more shelves and getting angry if months or years later you do it yourself, buy or hire someone. Easier to donate than wait on his butt or have the arguments when you stop waiting. Our worst argument was when he took my books off shelves into boxes to reuse shelves for his DVDs (built in shelves in my office two floors away from the 3d tv they would play on) plus the particular books were research for a work project so belonged in the office--his reasoning was that I didn't use those particular shelves enough (because I only kept materials for ongoing projects on them, duh!) and they weren't full. He still occasionally grumbles about having to build more storage when there was perfectly good storage I wasn't using. I am terrible about clutter, being a pack rat for lots of stuff including books — but I keep my clients' stuff and my office compulsively organized and shut tightly away from cat fur. If I cannot do that in the home office those bookcases and materials would move to my satellite offices, so he couldn't use them anyway.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I love the fact that I can enlarge font size on my ereader. It really makes it easier for me, especially when I forget my glasses and I'm waiting somewhere.

My husband took over three of my shelves last summer to store his books and Magic the Gathering "stuff" and threw all of my books in a bin. I was annoyed but slightly embarrassed because I had so many books hogging up the place and he had been asking for months to give him a shelf. It's just so hard to have them out of my sight and moving them pained me. Though I must admit, that since he moved them I haven't missed them at all or even looked in the bin.