That is suspicious...
Weird, right?
I got several yesterday but just thought it unusual because most of them looked like legit readers. Maybe something happened to cause an influx of new people this week. Advertising somewhere or something?
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
One has Eeyore as an avator, one Mickey Mouse. I'm a little leery but at first glance they look legit. It doesn't really matter as I don't post much over there besides reviews and an occasional comment.
I had someone last week try to add me as a friend who went and added several books I'd read and rated all of them exactly the same as I did, which raised a red flag. I ended up blocking that person.
And it was such a random choice of books that it stood out that much more, i.e. recent non-fiction coupled with other obscure books from various genres.
That's very creepy.
SilverThistle 7 years ago
That is weird. I'm barely there now, what events in the last couple of days?

I made my profile private over there last month or the month before and within a few hours I had about half a dozen friend requests. It was weird as up to then I got maybe one a month, if that. I've had a few since then too. They're bang out of luck though as I don't post there any more.

Too little, too late :D
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I was "featured" on STGRB and on one of their cohorts blogs. They used my "Is Anyone Else Feeling This Way" blog rant (posted only here) and wrote some rambling posts that were so long & twisted up & boring that I stopped reading after the first two paragraphs. Slow news day for them, I guess.
SilverThistle 7 years ago
Jeeze :/
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I need to weed mine out. I've been there for years and the list is unwieldy. Most of them never interact with me and vice-versa.
Mammarella 7 years ago
Check and recheck common friends. I am very suspicious of the authors & people I don't know. However, at the same time, I made an insane amount of friends since Sept. 2013.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It's too bad that it's come to this but I'm going to have to make sure they're. readers and not socks looking for gossip.
7 years ago
Barks, you were featured over there? You must be so proud! I am labeled over there as well. Wear it like a badge, woman! :) (I didn't get a "feature" though, just my name listed.) Should I be jealous?
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I even earned my own tag, right along with Pat Benatar, on one of those sites! Try not to be jealous. You just need to try a little harder. Try deleting a few of your own five star reviews when the author goes all BBA and write a blog post about it. That'll do it.
Miranda 7 years ago
Do they have anything in common? Friends or books who may be associated with the jerks? Comments those people made that smell fishy in any way? Do they interact with eachother? A flux of friend requests or new followers isnĀ“t uncommon in such cases or unheard of. Not all may have nefarious plans, but a few certainly do.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Two of them, Mickey and Eeyore, are brand new to GR and friended me within mins of ea. other. I'll have to check those two out for sure.
I got a noticeable uptick of friend requests the few times I was mentioned on that site, so it is possible. I certainly have 'friended' a few people they mentioned as well. They are a whos-who directory of the Cool Kids. ;-)
7 years ago
LOL That's an excellent way of looking at it. :)
willaful 7 years ago
I used to be proud of my Badly Behaving GoodReader status, but damn, it seems like *anyone* can get in these days. ;-)
LOL, once Karen (GR's number 1 reviewer) was added to their list for writing a negative review about the book (and they say its not so! /snark), I realized their criteria for getting on their list was even lower than I first thought. But still, we are all in good company. And now another one of their Queen Bee Bitches was deleted from Goodreads for abusing the site, creating fake and abusive book lists, and (stupidly!) admitting on a Facebook page to creating more fake sock puppets so she could do this. LOL.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
If they would only put all of this energy into writing a book . . .
But...but...they are NOT authors! /snark. Based on the screen shots from their not-so-private private Facebook site, they ARE all authors and I doubt they have any real 'reader' support anymore.
And now there are 7.
willaful 7 years ago
Are you on their radar?
willaful 7 years ago
Are you on their radar?
Rane Aria 7 years ago
Odd. Maybe because of your new popularity that everyone wants to be your buddy- with your new fame just don't forget your old friends ;D
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Hahaha, I'll try not to let it go to my head.
Sandi 7 years ago
OK, not reblogging, but we can 'like' . . . right? ;-)
I thought STGRB was a good place, then they made my problems public and all hell broke loose. They even asked if it was OK and It hought they were going to help, BIG MISTAKE. I no longer will deal with GR, it is nothing but crazy people these days. HOWEVER re: your influx, I logged on just to find a certain book that had not transferred over here right and I had 25 new friend requests in the last week in a half WOAH! And I removed ALL relevant data about me on there, so weird!
Kriss - that is one thing about them I despise about STGRB (and there are many reasons!) They hide their own identity and will not use any of their own stories as 'proof', even sheltering their buddy Douthit from any exposure, but they have no problem sacrificing other naive authors on their alters of hate knowing full well it will backfire on said author. I don't recall your story, but I will assume they twisted it to suit their agenda, since that is their game. And regarding GR, it is a great place for any author if they can keep their reader hat on and refrain from lecturing others on 'how to review a book', which is how the STGRB got started. They are all exiled authors who were kicked off of GR for being a tool about the reviews not being nice enough.