SilverThistle 7 years ago
Wow, what is her problem? She's got like 28 friends over there and most of them have zero to three books listed each. LMAO. Her own friends don't even READ read!

Anyway, you did one better than me. I managed a whole 1 (ONE) book last month! Go me!!
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I think she was PO'd that I didn't love the Lora Leigh book. Those types tend to be the rudest.

Hey, 1 book is better than 0 books :) This month will be better.
SilverThistle 7 years ago
Oh, and Big Brother just finished here so maybe that was why I only managed one book last month. Gotta love those fame hungry losers but it does eat into reading time. Apparently.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Yes, such a time waster but an addictive one. We had an adorable boy/boy almost showmance in the US that devolved into a backstabbing mess. Ugh, why do I watch these famewhores? Can't help myself, I guess.
SilverThistle 7 years ago
We had a boy/boy showmance too and one of them was a bit cute to start with but eventually showed himself to be a shallow, bratty, attention seeker. Actually almost all of them were pretty horrible when you got right down to it. And the winner was the most hated housemate inside and out the house. I reckon it was a fix. Right from the start she was given an easy ride and a free pass to the final. No way would enough people have voted for her to win.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Yes, we have the same situation with "Frankie Grande". I think he was on his best behavior the first few weeks but now he's showing his true colors and they're not pretty. It's awful when the most hated houseguest walks away with the money. The decent people get sent home with only a stipend. That's what I fear may happen in a few weeks here too.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It took me months to train myself to listen and sometimes I still have to do a lot of rewinding. I find it much more difficult than sitting down with an actual book.
SilverThistle 7 years ago
I've been listening to the same audio book for about 6 months now, PMSL.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Barbara ♥ Lindt Ninja ♥ Just saw your comment on GR. Thanks for the laugh. Too bad about the other Leigh books. I was holding out hope as I have a few around here but I'll probably just trade them in and save myself the headache.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Reading + summer = supposed to be lazy! It's part of enjoying the season not to rush and to enjoy what you're doing! But then I'm also one that goes on book rotations depending on my mood, where I'll be really in to some kinds of books and stay away from others. And then if I'm not in a reading mood I'll be into podcasts and video games, or movies. There's a lot to consume!

Also audio books aren't the lazy version of a book. They're a different version, almost closer to a performance. Which is why sometimes you can't get into a good audio book if the voice actor isn't right for the part - or better, a part that you'd cast with that actor, because it's a reader's choice thing. I actually think an audio book is closer to seeing a play than reading a book - but it's definitely not lazy. It just engages different parts of your brain - but many of them the same as far as taking in the plot elements. If I had more time I'd frankly love to try both audio and ebook formats, just to compare - but I'd have to like the book a lot of course.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
(Short version: pay no attention to the lazy-comment-person! I think you're doing the whole summer reads thing the right way - it's what works with your summer!)
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
There is a lot to consume. That's my big problem. Too many good shows, too many interesting podcasts, too many DVD's sitting around unwatched. I just need to manage my time better.

I noticed Amazon is offering audio versions for certain Kindle purchases for a few bucks more. I haven't tried that because I tend to read 2-3 books and have 2 audio's going at the same time.
Tackling Mt. TBR 7 years ago
I can't stand audio books personally, but I don't think it's cheating to listen to one. I wish that I could enjoy them because I would love to be able to listen and do other less interesting things at the same time, but they just don't work for me.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
Audio's don't work for many people and finding one that really captures your attention is not an easy thing to do. The first few audio's I read were borrowed from the library and their collection was slim. They were the driest mysteries, read monotonously by a British fellow. I don't think I could've picked up a worse choice for myself if I had tried. I nearly gave up the whole audio idea until I found something by Stephen King that managed to (mostly) keep my attention.
Hol 7 years ago
I agree with you completely-an audiobook always requires a lot more attention for me. You can listen to them when you otherwise wouldn't be reading, so they're definitely a good thing. Oh, by the way, I'm so glad you admitted to only reading two books during a month-sometimes it seems like everyone on Booklikes reads this HUGE number of books a month, and I feel like such a novice reader, if there is such a thing!
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
It's hard work, right? That's why I don't get it when people make comments like that. My husband is one of them and we have had some very heated discussions about it, with me always winning of course (haha).
SilverThistle 7 years ago
Don't worry Miles you're not alone. I managed 1 book last month. It's all good though, as B&B says, 1 is better than 0 :D
Tina's Reading Books 7 years ago
I like audiobooks. They are great for when I am doing housework or on a long commute where I need to drive. The thing is, though, no matter how good the book is...in audio it is only as good as the narrator. So an excellent book can be made abysmal by a bad narrator. The opposite is also true, a so-so book can be transformed into something fantastic by a good narrator.

I remember being 'meh' about Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabth Phillips' when i first read it, but years later when I listened to it on audio with Anna Fields performing it, the book became fantastic.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
All very true. That's why I kind of hate that all reviews of a novel are lumped in together on social media sites. I usually run to Audible first when checking out an audio title because I don't have to sift through a zillion reviews hoping to find an audiobook review.
Helen Rena 7 years ago
People used to read books out loud to each other. Homer actually recited his. Nobody called it cheating. :)
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
And those old time radio shows when people gathered around the radio to listen to stories because there was no television? I don't get the "lazy" and "cheating" mindset and never will.
Portable Magic 7 years ago
I think reading by audio instead of bound formats could only be considered lazy or cheating for someone who is still developing their visual reading skills, and for whom developing those skills is a goal.

I have very little time to just sit and do nothing but read, but I can consume a couple of books a week on audio while doing housework, yardwork, and commuting. Most of my reading (for pleasure vs. for knowledge) is done by audio, especially now that I'm in school and have even less free time. I get a lot more bound copy reading done when I'm between semesters.

I've always loved audiobooks, but not all books lend themselves well to that format. Any book that incorporates multimedia, of course, or stories with complex plots or a huge cast of characters, usually make poor audiobooks. For others, though, the combination of wonderful storytelling and talented performer is magic.
Bark at the Ghouls 7 years ago
I agree. When the right narrator and story meet it is like magic. When it doesn't happen it can be disastrous. I'd go crazy (crazier?) without audiobooks.