Abandoned by user 7 years ago
This looks interesting!
a TeMPLe of WoRDS 7 years ago
I agree!! I'm going to have to check this out.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
It's been free for 2-3 days now, I'm kind of surprised it's been this long. It's scholarly, but still full of interesting stories.
a TeMPLe of WoRDS 7 years ago
I went ahead and picked it up. I've found a couple of books like that about Tudor history and British criminals from back in the 1800s - shocked that they are free. Sometimes a little tedious, but very very interesting.
There may also be an element there of coffee's reputation vs. that of chocolate - coffee was the virtuous Protestant drink. Both Lloyd's of London and the London Stock Exchange had their roots in coffee houses in the City, and it doesn't surprise me that it was coffee and not chocolate.

I know that the coffee houses had all the newspapers, and men would meet there and read them and talk politics and business; I don't know if this is the case with chocolate-houses as well.

I have a whole book on the history of chocolate; if I can remember where I put it, naturally.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Hey, you can't argue with a free book, right?

@Susanna - tell me which books you have, just curious! This has gotten me all into chocolate/coffee! I have a book on chocolate and another on coffee in the monster paper TBR stack - will have to check which ones as I forget. (There's a specific book about coffee houses on my wishlist that never seems to go on sale. I keep putting it off because I have all these other coffee/chocolate books to get to first.)

And I just found out that the men's club White's that everyone refers to was a chocolate house, which I'd not heard (or forgotten, just as likely).

I'm going to have to get around to reviewing another book of Moore's on Lord Hervey just so I can quote the section where his dad begs him to stop drinking tea because it's evil. Heh.
I think the one I have is "The Real History of Chocolate."

I have all the books.

No, seriously, I have just enough books that I can't always find them!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Someone really needs to invent a Tardis bookshelf/library. For storage and also so that it could come when called so you could nip in and check on what's in there. I seriously need that!

And I just looked - apparently I have 3 books on my desk vaguely related to this:

Uncommon Grounds by Mark Pendergrast

The World of Caffeine by Weinberg and Bealer

The Emperors of Chocolate by Joel Brenner (about Hershey and Mars)

Damn I have a LOT to read!
I swear some of them sometimes go walkabout. Or Dr. Who has borrowed them.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Both of those would explain a lot. Especially when they move to places I'm sure I didn't put them.
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
My library appears to have Emperors of Chocolate...and several others. I think I'm going to have to start a shelf just for all these I want to read!
Very interesting quotes. I saw a book on the history of Coffee at the library book sale I might go back and get. Then I have a drink of coffee with chocolate just to be scandalous !
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
All of this is REALLY motivating me to go make hot cocoa. I think I'll just stop trying to resist.
OK, I'm in for some cocoa.