Comments: 19
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
I didn't know it was that easy! I was thinking I'd have to take a photograph myself.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
I haven't either - but I still have this one and the vampire one somewhere around. When I have a procrastination moment (you know, read rather than do something you're supposed to!) I'm going to reread them and see if they're anything like I think I remember!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
THAT'S IT!!!! Wow, that was fast too! I was still working through unpacking my last box of books!
I have a Dinobots choose your own adventure book. It was pretty epic, while at the same time not insanely satisfying for me.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
1) Please link to cover so that I may live vicariously, because robots+dinos, how can I not want to see that?! (I have no idea why I love CYOA books so much, but I do! It somehow doesn't matter what the actual plots turn out to be.)

2) I'm not going to confess how long I stayed up last night because I got totally into looking for video of nail designs with transformer logos on them (WHY I could not find any amazes me, because seriously, there's oodles of fandom stuff - I mean I found a cute zombie girl nail tutorial, so I feel sure I'm just not finding them) and then watched so many random nail designs because I have always been a total sucker for glitter and shiny things. Also the Transformer color combos seem like they'd be so easy to adapt into nail art because it's so easy to find all colors now. And there's definitely polish that looks like chrome, because I've oogled it. (Also the Autobot/Decepticon logos are so nice and geometrical, I can't believe there aren't at least nail decals. Seems wrong.)

That's my review. There were a couple with Transformers, but I tend to not like CYOA, especially for reviewing. (I went nuts trying to figure out how to know if I had read all the endings, then just went fuck it and read straight through.)

I only own that one because /Dinobots/.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
This is SO true: "Choose Your Own Adventures always made me twitch; how did I know I'd read the whole book?" - because I never did feel I'd gotten ALL of the scenarios. So I'd keep going back. Which on one had was kinda crazy making, but on the other was a great way to explain (at the bookstore, as a kid) why I really just had to buy it and couldn't just read a bit of it at the store. (That argument only worked a few times, heh.)
Yup. If it wasn't Dinobots, I wouldn't have bought that one.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I'm now going to spend the rest of the day wondering if this "what are all the options" thing ever bothered another kid enough to try to figure out a way to predict all the possible outcomes. I have NO idea how you'd figure that out though. (I think I should have though, I did sit through two semesters of statistics.)
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
The CYOA I read - Jane Austen one - I used about twenty bookmarks and marked each divergent path. After I finished one, I'd go back to the previous fork and then go through the next one. It drove me mad but I did like seeing all the possibilities...and some I'd have never thought of. A total cheat...but quite fun.

Great review by the way and now I'm off to look up this book...because it's something I'm sure I wouldn't particularly care for...but I want to try!
Try it if you want. I bookmarked all the pages that had the choices, and tried to keep them all straight, but couldn't. Now I could have written down the numbers, but didn't want to put in that much effort - so just read it straight through.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I had no idea there was such a thing as a Jane Austen CYOA! Must go google and find! (First checking out Degrees of Affection's blog!)
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
Found it! I read it just before I started review so...it's not up yet. It's called Lost in Austen by Emma Champbell Webster. ISBN: 9781594482588. It carries praise from Jasper Fforde...which I think was what sold me on it. You are Elizabeth Bennett but you meet people from across Austen's books. I'd love to see what you think...and it's moving to the top of TBR list for a re-read.
Degrees of Affection 7 years ago
A site called bookoutlet.com has a couple copies of Lost in Austen for sale for good prices. Just FYI.