Comments: 7
I've seen all video material on making LOTR, I swear. Moving on to books seems like a good idea :D
Portable Magic 8 years ago
I have such mixed feelings when reading about the "hows" of making movies and writing books. It's interesting, but it's also sort of like Toto pulling back the curtain on the Wizard. Once you see the machine behind the magic, you just can't un-see it.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
I totally understand that! My family was big into theatre, so I went into grad school in radio/tv mainly because I love that sort of backstage thing. It's just that I knew all about the actor's side of things, so that never does interest me half as much as things like lighting and audio.

After rereading this though I'm starting to think that I haven't appreciated LOTR enough because of the amazing amount of work done. Just reading what materials they had to buy in bulk is staggering. I now need to watch the series again!
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
I think the amazing thing about LOTR is how much of the behind the machine stuff is done - it's so good that you don't have time to think about how they did things. Which honestly would please everyone in the book, as all of them are trying so hard to be subtle, so you don't notice for instance what's real and what's a miniature model.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
And your comment also reminds me of how damn cute Toto was. Seriously.
Portable Magic 8 years ago
I can understand how you would find all the backstage stuff fascinating. As knowledgeable as you are, it must be rare for you to not at least spot the wizard's shoes. You might even be looking around to see if you can spot them. The LOTR movies were pretty amazing, once I got over my mad about some of the changes (Tom Bombadil! Faramir! the Scouring of the Shire!) at least. I watched all the extended edition DVD extras and was even more amazed by the detail and the craft and the love that went into them. But it changed how I watched the movies afterwards. I remember how blown away I was by the Argonath. I bought completely into their realness. After watching the "making" video, I could only see them as models. Extraordinary models, and beautiful, and just as JRRT described, but... not real.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 8 years ago
Somehow none of it looks real - until it goes up on screen - and then I just can't believe that it's NOT real. Because somehow all the little things come together and - well, I can't say how much is me, because I definitely WANT to believe. Actually, I want to vacation there. Er, in Rivendell. Not in Mordor. I don't see anyone putting up a summer home in Mordor.