Portable Magic 7 years ago
Goodness knows I've seen plenty of stuffed armadillos (because, native Texan), but I had no idea they were so freakin' expensive. Personally, I'd rather have a jackalope.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I love jackalopes! But I have the feeling they're expensive too. Actually I bet in the past 20 years all decent taxidermy has gotten more expensive, because I think it's more popular now. At least I seem to see it in more places than just flea markets and weird diners now.
My gran used to have a stuffed armadillo on top of her wardrobe. He was called Archie and I used to play with him. I still regret not taking him when my parents cleared the house after she died.
So is it a Texas thing? And if so, how on earth did Archie end up on top of a wardrobe in northern England?
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Texas is knee deep in armadillos. The unfortunate little beasties have a sad habit of jumping up straight in the air when startled - which means that if they do so in the middle of the road they will get hit head on by trucks, etc. (I say this actually having crept up on and accidentally scared an armadillo and seen it hop into the air. Like about 4 ft in the air. It was one of the most hysterical moments of my life and the most frustrating - my camera had broken 30 min before. And I was like 2 feet away from the bouncing dillo. But I had witnesses. All of us in hysterics.)

So dead armadillos + taxidermy. Plus Texas weirdness. Plus Lone Star beer which made armadillos part of their advertising, and you suddenly had all these armadillos drinking beer. I bought a framed black and white photo of one at a flea market, because it seemed very Texasy. Also it goes well with my velvet Elvis.

I think Archie must have had some kind of Incredible Journey of Collectables story about him. Which I would love to hear, because that is indeed some distance to travel.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Notice no one even had to ask, just mention armadillo in the comments, and bam I was off, all ready to chat armadillos.
Portable Magic 7 years ago
Texas weirdness. Couldn't have said it better. At one time, Texas was the only state in the US that had armadillos, so they were considered very Texan back in the day. But as their only natural predator is the Night Driving Pickup Truck, they're no longer unique to us and points south.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Yeah once you figure out what you're seeing, the phrase Texas weirdness is a useful one! You can apply it in so many ways, because it pops up all over the place. It goes well with the sentence "no one I know understands this either."
**waits patiently for photo of velvet Elvis**

Hey, I'm quite happy to chat armadillos. Fascinating little critters that I've not seen in the flesh yet. Would love to see a jumping one. I used to put Archie in a little trolley and trundle him behind me down the street. (Gawd knows what the neighbours thought).
Portable Magic 7 years ago
If only Archie could speak, I'm sure he'd have some tall tales to tell.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
Aw I'd love to post a photo of Elvis but he's in storage with all my stuff atm. I keep telling myself to get rid of him, but he is humorously cheesy. Also he was a gift, which is a great excuse for keeping him. (This is the kind of reasoning that has made my storage space larger than I planned.)

Armadillos are so incredibly cute. And they have really long claws that make the exact same clicking sound if they're scampering along the side of a highway as little dogs' nails make on a tiled floor in a house. Which is part of the reason I startled the armadillo, because I could not stop from snickering at it going clickity-clickity-clickity along the highway. Also they make lots of snuffling sounds when they root around in grass. Terribly terribly cute.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
I am suddenly having a moment of realization that Elvis has a wooden frame, painted brown, and it has never occurred to me that it really should have been painted gold years ago. ...I hope I eventually remember to do that.
Portable Magic 7 years ago
Aside from the pet armadillo my elementary school class kept in a tank, I've never seen one that wasn't already squashed on the roadside. Just the evidence of their rooting around in my flowerbeds.

And yes, The King needs a gold frame. Antique gold, with the little speckles. Is he wearing his white blingy jumpsuit with muttonchop sideburns?
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
It's a side view of him, just head and collar - but very 70s Elvis, not 50s. And for a velvet painting fairly understated, if that's possible!
I'm going to Memphis in a couple of weeks. Graceland is on the agenda.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
It was definitely a trip back in time. As in you could look at things and think "oh yeah, back in the day this was all cutting edge tech." And here and there are parts that if they had a bit less outrageous decor you could see a room or two as really typical 1970s suburban. It is completely weird to remember being a little kid when shag carpeting was A Thing lots of people had. And I have no idea why I particularly fixate on the carpeting. (Maybe because I was little then and closer to the carpets?!)

SO can not wait for you to blog about your trip! It's definitely a weird/unique/not another home I can really say is like it.
Shag carpeting. ::shudder:: I hated it then, but I wasn't the one picking the carpet, alas.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 7 years ago
The main thing I remember about shag carpeting as a kid:
1) really epic for playing with plastic toy animals and pretending they're lost in the jungle
2) really scary for the amount of...things you could find in there if the room hadn't been vacuumed recently. (I mostly remember dry cereal, so could be worse.)
Easy to lose in shag carpeting: dry cereal, much-used crayons, my grandmother's sewing needles (ow)...