logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Alexandre-Dumas
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2020-05-07 06:39

complete and unabridged

ISBN-13:  9780141392462

_________________________

DESCRIPTION:

"Alexandre Dumas’ classic novel of wrongful imprisonment, adventure and revenge.

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantès is confined to the grim fortress of the Château d’If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and becomes determined not only to escape but to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration.

A huge popular success when it was first serialized in the 1840s, Dumas was inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment when writing his epic tale of suffering and retribution.
"

_____________________________

REVIEW:

I don't have a very good relationship with classics.  Most I find long-winded and tedious.  However, the Count of Monte Cristo was rather enjoyable, not at all boring or overly verbose.  The unabridged Robin Buss translation was excellent.  This is a tale of revenge (the convoluted kind), but includes drama, intrigue, suspense, action, romance and some wonderful (and not so wonderful) characters.  An entertaining reading experience that whizzed by when you consider the book is 1200+ pages.

________________________________

NOTE:

Which English Edition of the Count of Monte Cristo Should I Read?

review 2018-04-08 22:42
I tre moschettieri - Alexandre Dumas

Tous pour un, un pour tous.

Rimestando fantasia e verità nella coppa della menzogna temporale, non poteva che andar così.

Sono tre: Athos, Porthos e Aramis. Quando arriva il giovane e impulsivo guascone d’Artagnan, l’avventura prende vita in un evolversi rapido, rocambolesco, appassionante.

Dumas è così abile a usare la penna della leggerezza che non c’è trasalimento per le imprecisioni storiche, né raccapriccio per i sanguinosi duelli o per le feroci dipartite. Si occhieggia, invece, con sorriso compiaciuto, alle audaci “capatine”. E sfugge un risolino divertito guardando il noioso Luigi XIII controllare i fermagli di diamanti della sua sposa, e ancor più rivolgendo lo sguardo al diabolico cardinale.

Ah, gli amori, gli amori! I tradimenti, i tradimenti! Ah, gli intrighi, gli intrighi!

Li si vedeva avanzare a braccetto, occupando tutta la larghezza della strada e avvicinandosi a ogni moschettiere che incontravano, tanto che alla fine la loro fu una marcia trionfale. Il cuore di d’Artagnan sguazzava nell’ebbrezza, mentre camminava fra Athos e Porthos abbracciandoli teneramente.”

E come quei parigini che dal 14 marzo al 14 luglio 1844 attesero ogni giorno l’uscita del giornale Le siècle per leggere incantati le avventure del cadetto di Guascogna e i tre moschettieri, anch’io non ho mancato al mio appuntamento quotidiano, Monsieur Dumas. Per la seconda volta.

Siete un geniaccio, ve l’ho già detto. Però, vogliamo fare i complimenti anche al buon Auguste Maquet? Li merita, vi pare?

E ogni volta mi chiedo se l’avete pagato.

review 2018-03-18 20:25
The Man in the Iron Mask
The Man in the Iron Mask - Alexandre Dumas

Wow. This book is nothing like the movie, at least the one I watched with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jeremy Irons. The end was so tragic and the actual prisoner in the iron mask was such a small part of the story. Seems to me it was the complete opposite in the movie. Huh. Go figure.

I'm glad I finally read this.

review 2018-03-08 14:19
Manga Classics: Count of Monte Cristo!!!
Count Of Monte Cristo Manga Classics - Alexandre Dumas

First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

It took me quite a long time to finish this Manga, it wasn't really the stories fault, more my own. First I had a bit of a reading slump, then I forgot to pick it up again. But I finished it today. And I truly enjoyed the story.

I LOVE a good revenge story, not going to lie. Granted, sometimes the revenger can go a little bit too far, people react differently and really bad things happen that he or she didn't want to happen. As was the case in this story.

I never read the original, I think it has tons of pages, so I probably never will read it, so I can't say if it was true to the original and if all the important things are mentioned. But I can tell you, that I felt like I really got to know the story very well and that for me, everything that was important was mentioned.

Once again, the artwork was just so damn stunning.

review 2018-01-03 22:42
The Three Musketeers
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

An adventurous tale of a hot-headed young man who finds true friends, faces violent enemies, falls for a few women, and escapes from danger many times, all while trying to realize his dream of becoming a musketeer like his father.

I found this to be an enjoyable read though a bit slow at times and while I was anxious to see how the action turned out, it was somewhat bogged down by the old language and lengthy descriptions.