logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Alphabet
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog
review 2019-11-18 17:56
Spirit of Christmas Past
O is for Outlaw - Sue Grafton

This book was a great look into Kinsey's past. We have heard offhand via the books that Kinsey was married twice. Her first marriage was to an ex-cop Mickey Macgruder and we know that Kinsey and he parted on bad terms. This book gives us even more information than what we were given before. Mickey was accused of murder and Kinsey bounced. She never talked to Mickey again after the divorce, but you start to see some glimmers in the man which probably is what led her to getting hooked up with her long-time lover Robert Dietz. This book does such a great job of developing Kinsey. She's like a pit-bull this entire book. Once she realizes that someone hurt Mickey and is setting her up to take the fall for it, she doesn't let go and her investigation leads her all the way back to the Vietnam War.

"O is for Outlaw" has Kinsey at a bit of loose ends. When a storage vultuer (no idea what else to call the guy) calls Kinsey and tells her that a storage locker he bought has her stuff in it, he offers her cash for some of the belongings. Through that Kinsey realizes that her ex-husband Mickey has kept a ton of her things in this locker, but has stopped paying on it. When Kinsey gets her belongings back (l loved how she does that) she finds a letter sent to her which implies that Mickey was having an affair and was with his mistress at the time when Mickey was accused of killing some man. With that Kinsey starts trying to track down Mickey and get to the truth, which has her in the police's cross-hairs since someone out there is trying to make it seem as if Kinsey is part of whomever gunned down her ex.

Kinsey was great in this one. I think Grafton did a great job of showing that Kinsey was wrong about Mickey, and that her jealous over realizing the guy was cheating on her while married was actually understandable. You see her still feeling territorial over him, but also realizing that a lot of tricks she now employs she learned from him. At one point I did wonder was this book going to lead to Kinsey getting arrested, cause she seems to be dancing on the local police's nerves through this whole thing.

Other characters are fascinating to read about as well. Though we don't get any one on ones between Mickey and Kinsey, you get very good insight into him and what made him tick. You realize though the guy wasn't the greatest husband, he was actually a very good cop.

Other people that Kinsey knew back in the day pop up in this one and that also helps you get a better sense of Kinsey too. She's kind of a prude is what someone says about her and I had to laugh at Kinsey's sense of outrage about that.

The writing actually moves at a fairly big clip. I wondered how Mickey's shooting could tie back to what happened years earlier and then when you find out what Mickey was up (investigation wise) I got even more hooked. It's a really fascinating story and there are a lot of moving parts in this one. The flow works from beginning to end and I really did feel a sense of sadness on how things ended in this one. Kinsey gets to the truth, but doesn't get to do a verbal amends.

review 2019-02-03 04:46
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Review
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin Jr.,John Archambault,Lois Ehlert

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, is another children's book classic. It is a rhythmic and rhyming tale that features the 26 letters of the alphabet.  I would use this book for younger grades when learning about the alphabet. I think that every teacher should have this book in their classroom as it can be incorporated into lessons in various ways. (Book Reading Level: Lexile 530L)

review 2019-02-03 03:03
Click Clack Quackity Quack
Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack - Doreen Cronin,Betsy Lewin

Reading level and Leveling System:

Guided Reading: J

Lexile Measure: NP290L

The cows on Farmer Brown's farm are typing again. Duck can't wait to show everyone their latest note.Duck's not telling, but if you follow the alphabet one letter at a time, you'll find out. This book is a great resource for recognizing letters and alphabetical order. During the story the duck uses things found on a farm to accompany the letters of the alphabet.An activity for the book could be a Letter Find. The student will have a list of the alphabet and will look around the classroom to find words that begin with the same letter. Student can write or draw their answer.

review 2019-02-02 15:02
Mrs. Thomas' Booklike pick
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin Jr.,John Archambault,Lois Ehlert

All of the letters are climbing up to the top of the coconut tree, but it starts to get extremely heavy! The whole alphabet made it up, but the tree starts to lean. Oh no, what will happen next?

Lexile Measure: AD530L

I would use this book along with with an activity where the students would put the letters of their name in the coconut tree and have a small writing activity at the bottom where they fill in My name is ________ and I have _____ letters in my name.

review 2019-02-01 22:23
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Reading Level and Leveling System:

Guided Reading- L

Lexlie Measure- AD530L

The lower case letters climb the coconut tree in alphabetical order, with all twenty-six letters in the coconut tree it begins to bend and all the lower case letters tumble to the ground. The upper case letters come in alphabetical order and describe the lower case letters injuries.

This book would be great to use in a kindergarten classroom. This book could be used to introduce the alphabet or alphabetical order. After the story is read a letter recognition activity can be introduced to students as group work or a literacy center. The students are given a mixture of upper and lower case letters and the students have to separate the upper and lower case letters and place them in alphabetical order. Students can also pair the matching upper and lower case letters together.