logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Freebies
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-19 01:35
Book Review: Not Safe For Work by L.A. Witt
Not Safe For Work - L.A. Witt
I snagged this when the author offered it for free a little while back, and devoured it as soon as I got a chance.

It exceeded my expectations!!

Now, I know LA Witt can write the sexy times, and I know that she will always, always, always make sure that her BDSM novels make it very clear indeed that while the Dom is in charge, the sub holds all the power. She takes the time to weave explanations about the lifestyle seamlessly into her books, and I cannot thank her enough for continuing to educate me and others what BDSM is really all about.

What pushed this book into 5 star territory though was the romance. Never mind the holy hot boysecks, what really impressed me here was the author's ability to convey how her characters felt, through their words and actions. She showed me their emotions, their fears, their joy - she didn't tell me. Told entirely from Jon's POV, we don't hear from Rick directly, but his character was well fleshed out just the same, and I felt a connection to him just as much as I connected with Jon.

Jon and Rick both have struggles to overcome, and Jon often carried a lot of weight on his shoulders (work issues, and paying for his kids' college education), but Rick was always supportive and understanding.

I loved every single minute I spend reading this book, cursing when work interfered, because I needed to keep reading, dammit, and follow Rick and Jon through their first realization that their kinks match up, through growing closer, through realizing that what they have is, while unexpected, exactly what they both need, and through the rough parts where they falter and stumble and nearly crash and burn.

This book is everything I could hope for in a romance novel. The conflict was exterior to the relationship, and I ranted out loud when Jon's employer did that thing they did, and I was enraged when Jon... no, you read this for yourself.

Extra kudos for not having an evil ex-wife (Jon's ex-wife lives with him for financial reasons, and they are good friends, supportive of each other), and for having a wonderful supporting cast in Jon's co-workers that often made me laugh out loud.

If you like your romance a bit on the kinky side (it's not overwhelmingly kinky, to be honest, and Rick is not a pain slut or a slave, and Jon isn't a sadist), then I would highly recommend you give this book a try.

I loved it.

review 2017-01-26 16:36
Review: My Writing Professor and My Friend the Bride by Nicolette Dane
My Friend The Bride: A Lesbian Romance - Nicolette Dane
My Writing Professor: A Lesbian Romance - Nicolette Dane

Romance Bingo square - Wedding Bells

Romance Bingo square - New Adult

I decided to make a two-in-one review posts as these books were only 50 pages each.

My Writing Professor - 1 star

This felt like a teaser excerpt for a longer novel, but unfortunately, it is a stand alone novella. There are major gaps in the story, such as the narrator's (yep, first person POV) entire back story/characterization. The only thing the reader knows about the narrator is that is in her early twenties, is in a MFA for writing program in Chicago, has no job/has no need for a job, and is a student of the title character. The writing professor character has a little more back story, but nothing deep enough to connect the reader to the character. There is a lot of sex and a lot of mental analyzing what all this sex means to their relationship. In the end, the student follows the professor to New York City (even though the student mentions how rural life is more her preferred environment) and leaves the writing program and Chicago without a thought as what she will do in NYC, other than have sex with her girlfriend. Honestly, there was no deep feelings or thinking by anyone in this story and no point in reading this.

My Friend the Bride - 1 star

Again, first person narrator without much characterization to separate herself from a mannequin. The bride is the narrator's secret ex-lover and present day best friend. Narrator is the maid of honor, and thus in charge of helping bride plan her big day while fantasizing about being lovers again. The opportunity to bump uglies one more time during a weekend bachelorette party. The bride comes from a religiously conservative political family and is marrying a guy from another equally religious, conservative, political family. I really felt that the groom got a raw deal in this story. The narrator does everything to convince the bride to call off the wedding, come out of the closet, and get into a serious relationship with her. The bride wants her cake (big, expensive wedding and honeymoon bought and paid for by her family) and eat it too (secret intimate relationship with narrator) - so the basis of this relationship at the end of the story is that the bride is cheating on her new husband. The narrator seems to be content with being a side dish and complicit in her girlfriend's cheating. There is a lot of sex and no relationship building, so there is no reason for the reader to root for the girlfriends' relationship over the bride's and groom's relationship

review 2017-01-17 14:04
Book Review: 500 Kisses by Anyta Sunday
500 Kisses - Anyta Sunday

Free story from the M/M Romance group's yearly event.

At about 55 pages, this is a friends-to-enemies-to-lovers story about two young men who were once best friends with a possibility for more but got derailed because one of them got scared of what he was feeling and became a man-whore.

Some years later, and possibly a little wiser, they acknowledge each other's existence, but that's about it.

Enter a bet.

This was at once a fun romp and a sweet romance, with two men learning that love isn't quite as complicated as they thought.

Well done.

review 2016-07-20 20:19
Book Review: The Invasion Of Tork by Claire Davis and Al Stewart
The Invasion of Tork - Al Stewart,Claire Davis

This book is proof that a story doesn't have to be long to make an impact. And hopefully neither does this review. Seriously. Get thee to your nearest bookseller and get a copy of this.

What we have here is two storytellers who have mastered their craft. I was blown away. This is a story of boy meets boy, but it's so much more than just that. It's about being kind, about being lost, about changing your preconceived notions, and taking chances. It's about pain and loss and hope and joy. It's about seeing beyond someone's exterior to the person underneath.

Read this, I beg you.

I'm off to buy The Invasion of Adam now. I must know what happens next. No, this doesn't have a cliffhanger ending. It ends precisely where it should - at the beginning of something amazing.

Read it!!

** This was a freebie on Amazon when I got it **

review 2016-01-12 20:07
Cat trivia
Cat Trivia: Funny Facts - Elliot Carruthers

Quick and cute read with a lot of funny illustrations!

However, there were lots of facts that weren't that unknown.