logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Gangsta-yo
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-10-03 02:56
GANGSTA GRANNY by David Walliams
Gangsta Granny - David Walliams,Tony Ross
Granny tries to make her life more exciting for her grandson.  Little does he know what he'll be getting involved in.

I howled at this book.  When Ben finds out his grandmother was an international jewel thief, he looks at her with new eyes.  Then when he gets involved in the biggest heist of all I lost it.  Not only his he totally in with the greatest theft of all but poor Ben has raised his parents expectations of wanting to dance ballroom style which is their favorite thing to watch on TV.  Ben and Granny are wild as they plan and execute those plans.  They have no idea who they will meet and who will aid them with their heist.  Then to be almost undone by a nosy neighbor.  The narrator is very prevalent through the story with hints and asides that are as funny as the story.  You will need a hanky at the end, so be prepared.  You also meet Raj who is also in Demon Dentist.  I love this author.  I cannot wait to pick up another of his books and I know exactly to whom to give this book.
review 2017-02-02 03:30

Rating: Five
Review:

"Honor My Gangsta" by Pebbles Starr

My Thoughts....

This author really know how to tell a urban fiction that will keep your attention and have you wanting more. The characters...from Princess, Kaleb, Tammy, Luna, Pluto [Parker], Jazz, Ken, Kadir, Grip, Kayla, Raiden, Tyra to a few others will definitely keep your attention because there is as always so much going on. Be ready for secrets, lust, ruthlessness, greed, engagement, love triangle, twist and turns, romance and death giving this story one captivating good read. Well, in the end will Princess get her HEA? What in the world was Kadir up too? Will Kaleb be able to save Princess' before it's too late? I guess we will have to wait until part two to get the rest of this well written story.

show activity (+)
review 2015-10-06 21:31
I mostly read this because I wasn't into anything else
Gangsta Rap Coloring Book - Aye Jay

I figured this would be a nice, easy palate cleanser.  Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.   It was quick.   It was easy.

And while part of me wishes this wasn't just dudes posing, often times with guns, it's a coloring book about gangsta rap.   I suppose I really should just be happy there wasn't more calling women 'bitches' and 'hos' in the forward and afterward.

That being said, I did learn some things.   Like a rapper actually chose to call himself Brotha Lynch Hung.   I skimmed the afterward, to be honest, because it seemed to just list the rappers and where they came from.   The forward, which was shorter, also managed to give a little more insight into the history of gangsta rap.   Not much at one page long, but still.

I also got this from Humble Bundle.  I didn't expect to love this going in, but I also was really into the rest of the titles when I bought this, so I figured if I never read this?   No big loss.

Ah, well, let's see if I can finish anything else I start.  I feel so flaky, although more human than I have in the past couple of days!

show activity (+)
review 2014-08-27 02:40
THE FURIES BY: NATALIE HAYNES
The Furies: A Novel - Natalie Haynes

2.75 stars

I swear I had Gangsta's Paradise on a loop in my head while reading this. It was hard not to compare this book to Dangerous Minds. Don't get me wrong, there was more going on here, but the whole teacher out of her element trying to connect to some hardened, troubled kids through some poetic type means....it screams for a leather jacket and a soundtrack, just sayin'.

I liked the greek tragedies and the way they were not only in the story, but ultimately came through as the story as well. That was nicely done. I find all those interesting, so it was easy to see why some wayward older kids might have as well. There are a lot of elements in them that an audience like that can relate to.

What really fell short for me though, was the characters. I was as uninterested in her as she was with pretty much everything in general. She was so detached from life, and I get it, she was struggling with some serious stuff, but in turn I was detached from her. The most interesting people in this story to me were the misfit kids, and even they never seemed fully developed. I really just felt bad for them for their lots in life, and for being stuck with yet another person that was only half there in their lives. Alex had her moments of helping them, but she was way too far into her own troubles to help anyone else with theirs.

All in all it was a decent story but I think it had some real potential to be more if the characters could have been a little more.....something....just more than they were. The detachment there, for me, just seemed to make this story drag on a little.

I received this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

review 2014-02-21 16:06
ギャングスタ 1 - Kohske.

Warning, this manga is NOT for anyone under 18. It contains: Sex, naked women, gigolos, prostitutes, violence, people getting killed and various other things.

Now on to the reason why I picked this one up. I heard it was getting an official release in English, and I wanted to know if it was worth buying it.

The two main characters, two guys are totally kick-ass and I can say this you wouldn't want to find them in a dark alley. Though it seems they aren't that bad (they do some things in the manga that is actually quite nice). And later we get a third character, a girl named Alex, who used to belong to some very shady figures, even having to be a prostitute. I won't tell you how she gets in the story, you will find that out.
We slowly find out about the past of our two main males, but also see how Alex adepts to life without prostituting herself and getting her ass kicked, a life of semi-honesty. I really liked that was added. I was already worried we would just get action and action, but we also get life stories and drama.

Also a plus thing, that you don't see often, a deaf main character. That made the story more interesting. Especially for Alex who can't really do much with sign language, will have to learn it if she wants to communicate with that guy. I can't wait to see how that will go.

The art style reminded me a bit of Saraiya Goyou and Baccano. I really liked it, you also know right away this won't be a bubbly and cute manga, the lines and the whole art is quite dark and sharp, but still very pretty to look at.

The stories (each chapter has a different tale to tale) are great and really interesting.

Will I be buying the official release? Yes, I will be sure to buy it and follow it.
Thanks Viz Manga for licensing this manga. :)