logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: I-Am-Legend
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-08-06 12:04
Resurrection: The Legend of Sanction
The Legend of Sanction (Part one: Resurrection) - Kayne Sampson

by Kayne Sampson

This has an interesting concept where demons are corporeal and have uneasy relations with humans. There was a lot of emphasis on swordplay and a smattering of magic that would appeal to sword and sorcery readers, but the writing struck me as middle-grade and didn't hold my attention as much as I'd like.

I would recommend it for boys 10-13 and maybe a little older. Especially reluctant readers who might get captivated by the fight scenes.

review 2020-07-27 06:16

FORMAT: Paperback

ISBN-13: 9780750934190

____________________________

DESCRIPTION:

"This intriguing volume looks at the early sources describing Arthur's career and compares them to the reality of Britain in the 5th and 6th centuries. It presents the most up-to-date scholarship and a convincing case for the existence of a real 6th-century British general called Arthur."

_______________________________

REVIEW:

Gidlow provides a comprehensive, scholarly analysis of ancient texts with a comparison of what is known of 5th and 6th century British life in an effort to determine if the fabled Arthur is a real person. Gidlow also examines how a 5th/6th century warrior became the "King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table". Interesting, but after a while all the picking apart of old texts and the "could have been", "might have been", "it is plausible" just got tedious. A bit more archaeological evidence would have been useful. Arthur fanatics will find the book interesting.

review 2020-06-21 03:09
THE COURTSHIP OF PRINCESS LEIA by Dave Wolverton
The Courtship of Princess Leia - Dave Wolverton
  Princess Leia has two suitors to choose from--Han and Prince Isolder. Who will she pick? Han also owns a planet. Can he get the warlord and witches off it?

The Star Wars action-adventure part is fun and what I expected. It is worth a 5. However, the romance was cheesy and cringe-worthy and as a veteran romance reader I cannot accept that. The romance part was a 3. I liked the new characters and I liked how everything worked out in the end. Luke has really begun to handle the Force better. Even Leia is picking some of it up. I am not sure if I will read more in the Star Wars series or not. Depends if my sister makes it her read for next year's book bingo.
review 2020-05-15 17:51
Monster High/Ever After High: The Legend... Monster High/Ever After High: The Legend of Shadow High - Shannon Hale,Dean Hale
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

I absolutely love the Ever After High series. The books are always gorgeous with interesting plays on fractured fairy tales. So, of course, I was beyond thrilled to see a mashup of Every After High and Monster High. While I haven't read any of the Monster High books yet (on the TBR list, I promise), I do enjoy the movies.

To start out, I actually wasn't a huge fan of this. Brooke's narration was a little grating, to be honest. Her interjections were a bit irritating and noting that a particular sentence was terribly constructed in no way makes the sentence any better. It just adds some awkwardness. I love the use of narrators as characters, but Brooke mostly just annoyed me at the beginning.

However, as the story got going, I eased in to the narration and got swept up in the plot. It was fascinating to see all of the characters come together in this entirely new setting. I loved the combining of worlds, both those familiar and those previously unexplored. It was entertaining in a way very different from the previous books.

Then things start really getting weird and I loved all of the puns and creative techniques used to portray the oddity. The use of different fonts, the arguments between narrators, and the surprise input from the reader were all so interesting and unique. It really made for a great reading experience.

As with the other books, the physical book is absolutely gorgeous, complete with Mapalogue graphics that are stunning.

Despite the rocky start, I ended up loving this book so much. It was wonderful to read and go along with the crazy ride that this mashup provides. A hexcellent book filled with puns, suspense, adventure, and surprises. Great to dive into and explore.
review 2020-05-06 14:32
I Am Legend
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

by Richard Matheson

Vampires have taken over the world and only one human, Robert Neville, is left, trying to survive night after night while the local vampires taunt him and try to lure him out of his fortress. This is a post-apocalyptic story that reminds me of zombie stories, where a lone survivor scrounges the shops and homes of a deserted world to find food and materials to stay alive. One man against the monsters.

The difference is the vampires can only attack at night and Robert takes advantage of their daytime sleep to kill as many as he can. The trouble is, this distracts him from getting other things done.

Sometimes I've thought he's being stupid with some of his decisions and his dependency on a wind-up watch to know when to get back home to his safe fortress. If it were me, I'd be moving daily and making it harder for the vampires to find me. There's plenty of room in his station wagon to carry a generator and a lot of materials.

Some of it didn't ring realistic, especially the first close encounter with fighting the vampires. Too much luck against too many numbers. That one should have been his fatal mistake. I wouldn't have even gone home once I'd worked out it was late, but holed up somewhere else. It doesn't take that long to board up a few doors and windows.

One thing I did find very interesting is when he tried to research the various folkloric methods for repelling vampires, to find a scientific basis for how it works (if it does).

Despite the character's mistakes, I found it a good read. Survival against the odds well-written generally makes for a good story.