logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: London
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-09-22 21:36
The Hostess, the Actress and the Duchess...
At the Stroke of Nine O'clock - Jane Davis

Another triumph from indie author Jane Davis in this gloriously gritty novel that engages head-on with a post-war London struggling to re-boot itself and wider society, amid ongoing privations. Against this authentic backdrop, the dawning realisation that Britain needed to change and to challenge former ingrained inequalities, particularly the structural disadvantage of women, is deftly explored by the author, through the lived experiences of three fictional women in the 1950s. Moreover the reader discovers that Caroline, Ursula and Patrice are each held hostage by their very different respective circumstances and perceptions of duty to family (parents, children, husband). Such traditional values are also cleverly juxtaposed with the tragic real-life story of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in the UK. The sensationalised accounts of her crime carried in the press at the time (Ellis shot her lover, killing him) succeeded in vilifying Ellis, but drew a veil over the scandalous and violent behaviour of the ‘innocent’ male victim.

The format of the book reflects multiple points of view and rotates between the key characters’ perspectives. Indeed, it sounds like the start of a joke, the hostess, the actress and the duchess, but despite the disparity in their social positions, their common experience of abuse (financial, emotional and physical) at the hands of men, is something of a leveller. But for quirks of chance, all three might not be so far removed from the fate awaiting Ruth Ellis, yet they are drawn inexorably together, bonded by a shared sense of being social misfits. The intertwining of their journeys also offers touching examples of support, without judgement.

Far from being a tale of ‘doom and gloom’, the writing is sumptuous and though perhaps not intended as a feminist commentary on the period, the author has provided the reader with a genuine depiction of a society in transition and three strong and courageous female characters equal to their time.

Indeed, time, as measured for the nation by the iconic notes of ‘Big Ben’, provides a wonderful symmetry to this book. From August 1949, when the bongs failed to appear on cue, to July 1955 when sections of London held their collective breath in anticipation of the nine o’clock salvo, the author locates each of the women and enables the reader to follow their discrete but convergent journeys. It is true there are no male role models to speak of, which perhaps begs the question whether the period also presided over the demise of ‘gentlemanly’ conduct, or leastways diminished capacity to do the ‘right’ thing? But, the dilemmas the book exposes and the moral conundrums posed make for a fascinating and stimulating read, irrespective of the reader’s gender.

review 2020-07-16 06:45
Luxury Homes Houses Property Apartments Penthouses for Sale London

Buy/Sell Luxury Property Houses & Flats from £5M. Prime Central London Luxury Homes Luxury Houses Apartments Penthouses for Sale from Luxury Homes London Real Estate Agents.

Source: luxuryhomes.london
review 2020-06-25 10:50
Poison in Paddington (Cassie Coburn Mysteries) by Samantha Silver

From the Amazon page: When Cassie Coburn moved to London, she never thought she'd be involved in a quadruple homicide. After a car accident ended her medical career before it even started, Cassie moved to London on a whim, expecting to see the sights and live the typical tourist backpacker lifestyle. Instead she finds herself accompanying a French private detective, Violet Despuis, as they attempt to find out who poisoned four people in the middle of London. Cassie's life soon includes this crazy detective, an ancient landlady with a curious past, a mischievous orange cat who likes going for walks on a leash, and a super hot pathologist that Cassie is sure is out of her league. And they haven't even found the murderer yet...The Cassie Coburn mysteries are a cozy mystery series featuring a Sherlock-Holmes style sleuth. If you want a light, fun, modern mystery featuring a San Francisco girl totally out of her element in London, and a crazy French woman who happens to be very good at noticing things, then this is the series for you.

As it says, it’s a Sherlock Holmes-style story. It was pretty obvious, though both ’Sherlock’ and ’Watson’ have their genders changed. All I can say is I like the characters, mainly Cassie. Violet is quite a bit like Sherlock - arrogant and a bit abrupt, but fun in a way. The story is well written and as I said, because I like the characters I wanted to find out what would happen. I also enjoyed reading about how Cassie made herself at home in London. As someone who has moved quite a few times in the past year, this made me nod in recognition at some of her experiences. The book is no longer free, except as an audio book, as part of an Audible trial. The paperback isn’t that expensive, and I would probably have bought it if I’d known how good it was.

review 2020-06-24 21:01
En Route, London to Paris, Peter Brown
En Route London to Paris - Peter Brown En Route London to Paris - Peter Brown

Peter Brown; plein air; really good; nice bloke. Prolific, too - I've still got three unread catalogues on my shelf and haven't checked his website for new ones for months. Here I found the Brit paintings better than the France paintings, generally speaking. No idea why.

show activity (+)
review 2020-06-09 06:32
Swing
Boyfriend Material - Alexis Hall

Luc is working for a charity who does not appreciate seeing his mistakes in the gossip rags.  While he does try his best, his semi-famous father is trying to make a comeback that is putting him in the sort of spotlight.  His friends and co-workers think he should try to date someone respectable and fix his good name.

Oliver has always been interested in Luc.  This chance to get to know him, and play his significant other is not one he could pass up.  Knowing it won't be easy they agree and get on with their lives.  Then the hard part happens......

I liked that this story told the truth.  Each characters felt real, open, dark, and rich at the same time.  I also loved the friendships, and I cringed at the families who made them hurt.  I also really liked the banter and sexy heat.  I give this read a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given by Netgalley and its publisher, in exchange for an honest review only.