logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: PR-disaster
Load new posts () and activity
review 2021-03-24 20:59
Tinder Box: The Iroquois Theater Disaster, 1903 by Anthony Hatch
Tinder Box: The Iroquois Theatre Disaster 1903 - Anthony P. Hatch
Tinder Box: The Iroquois Theater Disaster, 1903 by Anthony P Hatch
Six hundred and two people, mostly women and children, lost their lives in the fire even worse than the Great Chicago Fire that destroyed most of the city in 1873. The Iroquois Theater was advertised as “absolutely fireproof.” It was not.
Hatch has written a very readable, but scholarly, look at the causes, failings, politics, and machinations of the owners, builders, managers, politicians, firemen and inspectors charged with safeguarding the lives entrusted to them.
Illustrated by 30 pages of photographs and drawings and supported by personal interviews with survivors and voluminous research, he details the fire itself and the changes that resulted from the fire.
Any group interested in history, fires or politics will find this an interesting and revealing look at the fire, what lead up to it and the changes it forced.
5 of 5 stars

review 2020-06-21 09:04
Dating Disaster with a Billionaire (Blue Ridge Mountain Billionaires) by: Elizabeth Lynx
Dating Disaster with a Billionaire (Blue Ridge Mountain Billionaires) - Elizabeth Lynx

Dating Disaster with a Billionaire by Elizabeth Lynx

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Lynx makes sure that there's a reason to smile waiting inside of every story that she writes. From humorous to emotional, Dating Disaster with a Billionaire pulls out all the stops when it comes to taking control of your heart. Love proves itself to be a charmer and then some. Temptation is only a bookshelf away.

review 2020-06-02 19:03
The Shock Doctrine
The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - Naomi Klein

Reading The Shock Doctrine, I got flashbacks to reading No Logo all those years ago when I was a student. Klein's writing was eye-opening back then, and her case studies and research made even a dry brick of a book a project that I could not set down.

It is the same experience with this one. The sheer amount of detail and background make Klein's book very addictive because it feels like an attempt at keeping a record of events that will probably be edited out of the footnotes of history.

The Shock Doctrine feels like an attempt of holding people accountable, and it is a very timely and thought-provoking read. It's also entirely infuriating. It's very depressing to be reminded that current events/circumstances are the very basis for the disaster capitalism that Klein describes.

The only reason that I am not increasing my rating for this book is that I felt it lacked balance, which was most evident for me when Klein wrote about Hugo Chavez, without any mention of criticism. Granted the book was written in 2008, but still I expected more balance even if I agree with the underlying premise Klein is arguing.

Still, this was again a thought-provoking read and, maybe because of the current events we are living through, I loved that the book ended on the message (paraphrasing here):

What can we do right now to start to bring our community back in spite of the government, not because of it?

review 2020-04-07 05:40
Review: The Deep by Alma Katsu
The Deep - Alma Katsu

***Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley and G.P. Putnam’s Sons!***

I loved this book. I really, really loved this book. Anyone can tell you that I am a sucker for a story about the Titanic. I am one of those people that went and saw the movie fifteen times and cried just as much the last time as the first time, who still cries at the thought of the movie. And I have read pretty much every book written on the topic and watched every documentary I can get my hands on. Titanic holds a very dear place to my heart. That is what drew me to this book in the first place and I was not disappointed.

Annie was a very good character. She was charming, humble, smart, if a bit naive. I felt like I was seeing the Titanic from a fresh view, one that hasn’t been explored often. Her character also did a lot of changing and growing over the course of the book. She went from being a naive girl running away from home to a woman set on discovering the truth of her past trauma and confronting it without blinking. That was a wonderful transformation.

The story is told from Annie’s viewpoint in both 1912 and 1916, from both the Titanic and Britannic, in alternating chapters. The two storylines were seamless next to one another. You covered the journey of the two ships almost simultaneously. Annie boards Titanic in one chapter, Britannic in the next. Disaster strikes in one chapter and then again in the next. I liked that method of telling the story. For someone like me who already knows the fate of both ships intimately it left me on the edge of my seat. I knew what was coming, but I also knew the story would be different since we were adding the paranormal aspect.

The horror part of this book was creepy without being too scary. It didn’t really have any traditional jump scares. It was much more psychological. Your brain starts putting the pieces together and you delve deeper into horror and dread. And I loved speculating on what was going on. Was it something in the sea, like mermaids or sirens? Was it a ghost? Was it someone on the ship who was possessed? I enjoyed watching the pieces fall into place with ever greater dread as we went deeper into the mystery.

I am trying really hard to avoid spoilers, so I should probably leave it at this before I sink into a spoiler-laden fangirling over this book. Read it. It’s fabulous!

review 2019-12-01 07:14
Audio Review: Disaster at Roosevelt Ranch (Roosevelt Ranch, #1) by Elise Faber (Author), Keira Stevens (Narrator)
Disaster at Roosevelt Ranch (Roosevelt Ranch, #1) - Elise Faber

I was drawn to Justin and Kelly, oddly enough because I happened to stumble upon Justin's twin brother Rex's story first. There was a history there and I wanted to know just what it was. Faber didn't disappoint. Disaster at Roosevelt Ranch turned out to be a heartbreaker. Kelly lost her heart to one twin and found her forever with the other. Mr. Wrong turned out to be the best decision she ever made. Justin and Kelly endear themselves to your heart with a back story that is not always beautiful, but a romance that is oh so sweet. Narrator, Keira Stevens wraps herself around each word she utters and takes control of emotions in the most subtle of ways.