logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Pasta
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-10-16 19:45
pasta, pretty please
pasta, pretty please - Linda Miller Nicholson
I do love my pasta and I was excited to see this cookbook about pasta. This cookbook was more than I expected though. This was not a book for the pasta-maker in me, but was for a more advanced pasta maker. I did learn a great deal from this book and you really should see the pictures inside this book. Who makes this pasta?! It’s beautiful.

I like looking at all the pasta varieties in the store. It feels like every week, there is something new on the shelves. This past week, I saw thick & hearty noodles, before that it was pasta made out of beans. What’s next? A few years ago, I bought an attachment for my mixer so I could make pasta and I think I’ve only used it a few times. Before that, I had my grandmother’s old pasta maker that attached to our table. My husband used it a few times a year to make noodles. I keep thinking that I want to make my own pasta and when I saw this book, I thought perhaps this was a “sign.”

If it was a “sign,” it was really telling me, “see if there is a beginner’s guide to pasta because this book is not for you, YET.” I did like this book as it had lots of information for making pasta, packed with the different varieties and it was laid out with nice details.

I like colored pasta and this book talks about creating them and how to achieve the right color. We are talking 25 colors! From Red Beet Dough to Beet-Paprika Dough, they give you the lowdown on what ingredients you need to mix together, in step-by-step directions to get those rich colors. From there, they talk about how to roll-out and cut the dough. We are talking techniques here, this is an art. Should you freeze, store or dry your pasta? “You’ll want to serve your pasta projects in this book when they’re at the peak of their beauty.”

The author discusses the different types of pasta and I was drooling over the pictures of the fresh pasta in this section. From colorful farfalle, to hand-cut tajarin, to a six-colored fettuccine, the author gives you instructions on how to create these masterpieces. There were stars (actual stars) on pappardelle, polka-dotted farfalle, 4th of July pappardelle and then, the argyle lasagna sheets were simply amazing!

The book is set up in sections beginning with the basic dough. It goes next into the sheeting section, then the advanced section where the pasta became a work of art. Rolled pastas and gnocchi were in the next section. There was a section of sauces and a final section of fillings for your works of art. A conversion chart and index complete the book.

This book is not for me YET but hopefully in the future, I will need it. It does begin with the basics and progresses quickly with detailed information. If I were to create these works of art, I would definitely make sure we savored every bite.

review 2016-10-22 00:19
Strega Nona
Strega Nona - Tomie dePaola

The book, Strega Nona is very interesting. Strega Nona lives in a small home near the town, and she does a lot of work for people of the town. Eventually she feels to old to take care of everything, and so she hired help. Big Anthony came and he stole him what he needs to do and in return he will get 3 coins and a place to stay and food to eat. After a while, Strega Nona only had one rule for Anthony, and that was to not touch her pasta pot. One evening, Anthony over heard Strega Nona singing to the pasta pot, and the pot ended up being magic and pasta appears in it when it is sung to. Strega Nona let one at to visit her friends, and she told big Anthony to not touch the pot again. After she left, big Anthony sang to the pot and made pasta for the whole town and when he sang the song again to ate the pasta stop growing he forgot the 3 kisses at the end of the song. The pasta kept growing until the pasta almost took over the whole town. Strega Nona came back from her trip and she knew what big Anthony had done, she sand the song and made the pasta stop growing. In the very end, she made big Anthony eat all of the pasta she can sleep in her bed tonight and so he did. This book is useful in the classroom, because this teaches students to not touch anything without asking and kept their hands to themselves. Also mind instructions when given. This book is towards kindergarten-2nd grade!

review 2016-05-28 00:00
500 Pasta Dishes
500 Pasta Dishes - Valentina Sforza 500 Pasta Dishes - Valentina Sforza Enjoyed this cookbook, there are recipes I look forward to making.
review 2015-06-09 01:41
Pasta The Beginners Guide
Pasta: The Beginner's Guide - Carlo Lai

I love pasta and have always wanted to try making it myself but have never really gotten around to it.  This book is perfect for it, you are give step by step instructions for the various types of pasta, and how they are made.  Also step by step instructions/pictures on the pasta sauces.  Also, at the beginning is detailed information and photo’s on the different kitchen tools you will need along with the common ingredients used in the pasta and the sauces.  The first one I am going to try is Gnocchi.

review 2015-04-22 00:00
A Love Affair With Cold Pasta Salad:Delicious Cold Pasta Recipes Your Family Will Love (Love Affair With Food) - Rachel Lane I enjoyed this book. It has two basic dressings (Italian and Creamy). There were three recipes I haven't tried before.