logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Photography
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-18 18:13
Trees, Ansel Adams
Ansel Adams: Trees - Ansel Adams

Y'know, that Ansel Adams guy was a moderately talented photographer...

show activity (+)
review 2020-02-14 23:21
Inspiring pictures of recent UK history
Sheffield in the 1980s: Featuring Images of Sheffield Photographer, Martin Jenkinson (Images of the Past) - Mark Metcalf,Justine Jenkinson

I thank Rosie Croft from Pen & Sword for providing me an early paperback copy of this book, which I freely chose to review.

I worked in Sheffield and lived in the area for almost 10 years and had visited it on occasions as well before that, and although it was long after the 1980s (I arrived in the UK in the early 90s), I was familiar with Martin Jenkinson’s work, had seen some of his iconic photographs of the period, and could not resist the opportunity to sample some more. This was a particularly interesting and intense period in the history of the city, with the closures of many steel and cutlery manufacturing companies, the pit closures in the region, and with many strikes and much social unrest, that Jenkinson recorded in his work. It is impossible to look at his pictures and not wonder about recent events.

This book combines a great selection of images from the period with some background text, that rather than providing lengthy explanations about each image, is organised as an introductory write-up for each one of the sections. Although there isn’t much writing, the brief summaries offer a good overview to people who might not be familiar with the historic-social circumstances of the era and provide a solid context for the fantastic images.

The book is clearly a labour of love from Jenkinson’s daughter, and it includes a foreword by Helen Hague, a reporter who has worked at a number of local and national newspapers and was a personal friend of the photographer, a Tribute, written by Chris Searle, summarising Jenkinson’s career, and a number of sections that help organise the photographic content: Who We Are Exhibition (that was an exhibition at Sheffield’s  Weston Park Museum of Jenkinson’s work, which run from November 2018 to April 2019), Steel (that includes images of strikes, a section on cutlery and silver, one on retail and the public section [including images of women taking up various jobs  that were still an uncommon sight at the time], one on rail freight), Local Government (National and Local Government Officer’s Association [look out for David Blankett], SYCC and fare cuts [about increases to the public transport fares, hotly contested], the Manpower Services Commission [a new programme to fight unemployment, also hotly contested], Campaigns and Protests (People’s March for Jobs, Cutler’s Feast [where Margaret Thatcher was not particularly welcomed, but she went nonetheless], The Miner’s Strike [this is one of my favourite sections and many of Jenkinson’s iconic photographs are featured here], Eversure [a wonderful picture of a wedding couple visiting a picket at the factory where they both work],  the National Abortion Campaign, Sheffield Campaign for Access to Moorland, Sheffield Campaign Against Racism and Anti-Apartheid, Anti-Nuclear Protests, Sheffield Street Band), Sheffield & Its People (another great section including some pictures of Hillsborough Football Stadium that are impossible to look at without thinking about the later tragedy), a section referring to The Martin Jenkinson Image Library, and a final section of Acknowledgements.

This is not a nostalgic book about the Sheffield of the 1980s, although there are pictures of some very recognisable landmarks, but rather a book about certain aspects of the period and its people, and they show the concerns and interests of a man who had worked in the steel industry and suffered in his own flesh the changes brought by its demise. It’s not a book of pretty pictures, although there are some beautiful images, but that is not the aim. They are pictures that tell a story, and not always a nice one. As Helen Hague says in the foreword: ‘Martin Jenkinson had a gift for capturing the moment.’

The book is packed with black and white pictures chronicling a city and its people in an era of major political, social, and economic changes, and anybody interested in the 1980s in the UK will find plenty to enjoy and to make them think in this book. I know many writers find inspiration in images, and here they will have a field day. In case you want to get an idea of what type of images you might find in the book, you can check the Martin Jenkinson Image Library(here).

A fabulous book for lovers of photography with a social conscience, and for anybody interested in the recent history of Sheffield and of the UK in general.

review 2020-01-31 10:06
Underwater Camera Market: By Top Manufacturers, By Application, Geography Trends and Forecast 2025
Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography - Roland Barthes
Camera Obscura - Lavie Tidhar

BrandEssence Market Research Announces another top to bottom industry research that spotlights on Underwater Cameras Market, conveys itemized examination of the market and future prospects of  Underwater Cameras Market. The critical and significant data in the study makes the research a very important tool for experts, analysts and managers to get ready-to-access analysis by the industry professionals. The examination is connected with considerable data as diagrams and tables to comprehend vital market patterns, drivers, and difficulties.

Download sample report at https://www.brandessenceresearch.com/technology-media/global-underwater-cameras-market-2018-2024/

Underwater Cameras Market Top Players like,

• Ricoh Company Limited
  • Olympus Corporation
  • Panasonic Corporation
  • Others

Geographically, this report is subdivided into several key regions, with data concerned to the revenue (million USD), market share and growth rate of  Underwater Cameras Market in these regions, for 6 years from  2018-2025 (forecast), covering and its Share (%) and CAGR for the forecasted period  2018-2025.

Underwater Cameras Market Segmentation:

• Latin America
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
  • The Middle East and Africa

Thank you for looking into this article; you can also get Customization of the Report chapter wise or Geographic Region wise.

Table of Content

• Market Drivers
  • Market Restraints
  • Market Opportunity
  1. Chapter – Executive Summary
  • Global Mobile Satellite Services (MSS) market, 2014 – 2022, (USD Billion)
  • Mobile Satellite Services (MSS): Market snapshot
  1. Chapter – Mobile Satellite Services (MSS) Market: Market Analysis
  • Mobile Satellite Services (MSS): Market Dynamics
  • Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
  • Market Attractiveness Analysis
    • Market attractiveness analysis by Usage segment
    • Market attractiveness analysis by End-user segment
    • Market attractiveness analysis by regional segment

TOC Continue..

Key Benefits for Global Underwater Cameras Market Reports

• Global market report covers in-depth historical and forecast analysis.
  • Global market research report provides detail information about Market Introduction, Market Summary, Global market Revenue (Revenue USD), Market Drivers, Market Restraints, Market Opportunities, Competitive Analysis, Regional and Country Level.
  • Global market report helps to identify opportunities in market place.
  • Global market report covers extensive analysis of emerging trends and competitive landscape.

This comprehensive report will provide:

• Enhance your strategic decision making
  • Assist with your research, presentations and business plans
  • Show which emerging market opportunities to focus on
  • Increase your industry knowledge
  • Keep you up-to-date with crucial market developments
  • Allow you to develop informed growth strategies
  • Build your technical insight
  • Illustrate trends to exploit
  • Strengthen your analysis of competitors
  • Provide risk analysis, helping you avoid the pitfalls other companies could make
  • Ultimately, help you to maximize profitability for your company.

Our Market Research Solution Provides You Answer to Below Mentioned Question:

• Which are the driving factors responsible for the growth of this market?
  • Which are the roadblock factors for this market?
  • What are the new opportunities responsible for the growth in the coming years?
  • What are the present and future trends in this market?
  • Which are the main factors responsible for a new product launch?
  • How big is the global & regional market in terms of revenue, sales and production?
  • How far will the market grow in forecast period in terms of revenue, sales, and production?
  • Which region is dominating the global market and what are the market shares of each region in the overall market in 2018?
  • How will each segment grow over the forecast period and how much revenue will these segments account for, in 2025?
  • Which region has more growth opportunities?

Read More:

About us:Brandessence Market Research and Consulting Pvt. ltd.

Brandessence market research publishes market r3D Cell Culture Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2025)esearch reports & business insights produced by highly qualified and experienced industry analysts. Our research reports are available in a wide range of industry verticals including aviation, food & beverage, healthcare, ICT, Construction, Chemicals and lot more. Brand Essence Market Research report will be best fit for senior executives, business development managers, marketing managers, consultants, CEOs, CIOs, COOs, and Directors, governments, agencies, organizations and Ph.D. Students. We have a delivery center in Pune, India and our sales office is in London.

Contact us at: +44-2038074155 or mail us at sales@brandessenceresearch.com

Website: https://brandessenceresearch.biz

Blogs: http://www.brandessencejournal.com

Blogs: http://www.technologystatsnews.com

Blogs: https://dailynewscollectors.com/

Source: brandessenceresearch.com
review 2019-12-07 10:00
Breath of Joy! Winter Whispers Review and GIVEAWAY!

About the Book

Book: Breath of Joy! Winter Whispers

Author: Kathy Joy

Genre: Non-fiction, Gift Book, Picture Book

Release Date: October 1, 2019

The final book in the series, Breath of Joy, Winter Whispers speaks of the deep quiet earth movements that echo human proving grounds and transitions during rest. Photo Art and Prose. Three everyday celebrations on every page spread are not commercially Christmas but rather interrelational and spiritually poised. This is simply because in Winter, when the earth’s axis is the farthest away from the sun, people warm themselves and grow in the wonder of darkness, where God still sees us, breathing life.

Click HERE to get your copy.

About the Author

Kathy Joy enjoyed being a popular Christian radio D.J. in Colorado for many years. When her husband wanted to move to Pennsylvania to take over the family farm, Kathy Joy accompanied him with their two young daughters. Four years later, Kathy Joy found herself a widow raising two teenagers. To stave off despair, she began writing three every day celebrations in a journal. Friends on Facebook began prompting her to write a book, and so the beginning of the Breath of Joy series began. Kathy Joy now works in human services, speaking wonder on the weekends to grief therapy groups, motivational corporate meetings, and women’s retreats. Some of her topics include Vision Board workshops, Being a Harbor Pilot, Mirroring the Savior, The Fifth Season, and A Christmas Tea.

More from Kathy

I’m so excited to join Celebrate Lit for this first real blog tour of my Breath of Joy series!

As a collector of celebrations, curating pithy delights and sharing them with my readers, I do hope you enjoy the visual experience and personal comfort offered in my Winter Whispers book.

Wintertime, especially Christmas and Valentine’s day, can be some of the toughest times of the year for people who have experienced trauma, or significant loss and grief. I’m one of those people.  Collecting three everyday celebrations for me was a means of refocusing on common joys in my life. They were a means of turning my despair into faith. Now, by publishing four books in less than two years, I have encountered another ladder of faith and I continue to face fear in order to live the adventure that God has for me.

Don’t you know, the Lord gives us many different kinds of gifts, and some of those gifts we would rather return to Him?  However, my seasonal “Breath of Joy!” books helped me not only to be thankful for the phase of life in which I found myself, but writing these books also built depth into my relationship with my real self, not my public persona, and specifically with the real God of the Bible.

It brings joy to my heart to collect snapshots of life and give my readers an opportunity to experience simple blessings in fresh, new ways. My books were borne out of sudden loss and grief when my husband of 23 years died of a massive heart attack. Gathering up my will to go forward, I remembered he always encouraged me to collect “beautiful moments” and write them down.

Now, when people connect with me, they say things like, “I couldn’t sleep, and so I picked up your book, and it gave me a new perspective that has helped me go on. If you can do it, so can I.” / “I went to one of Kathy Joy’s vision board making workshops. When I posted my board on the refrigerator, I had no idea how much I would rely on it to get me through the next year.  I am writing this to thank you for helping me stay out of the hospital for a full year.” /

”Just downloaded your file/book. Absolutely beautiful. I thought you wrote prose/poetry. Forgive me for putting you off. I loved perusing the pages. I went through it too fast. I need to sip it. I will peruse it again tomorrow. Totally different from what I thought it’d be. Hmmm. It’s more than a coffee table book. Gift book. Calming book. Nice, very nice.  Let me sit with it and ponder it. Lovely creation.

These kinds of receptions make my day. They let me know that God still has adventures for me to take and purposes for me to speak wonder into other people’s lives.

My Review

Short, simple, and picturesque, “Breath of Joy: Winter Whispers” is the fourth and final book in the Breath of Joy series. Not having read any of the other seasons, I was not sure what to expect. I am accustomed to reading full-length books, so this was a unique experience for me. The format is somewhat unusual because it is essentially a postcard picture book. At first I was trying to connect each page into a continuous story, and I was struggling, especially when I suddenly finished the book. Looking back, I recognize that each page contains its own thoughts, which flow into the season and, taken compositely, offer hope: “Having strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow…when heaven sings and earth replies…echoes of mercy, whispers of Love…” There are some wonderful truths within this book, presented so frankly, and they are a fitting contrast to the sheer beauty of the photographs on each page. Likewise, the writing itself stems from a place of loss and yet brings beauty to it. After all, “The honesty of trees in Winter: how the limbs know to let things go…how we turn over the broken bits…to discover hope.” Whether you are experiencing loss or not, “Winter Whispers” is a gorgeous little book that quietly comforts and reassures. It causes the reader to ponder: What has the Lord been whispering to your heart, and how will He continue to do so in the future?

I received a complimentary copy of this book through CelebrateLit and was not required to post a favorable review. All opinions are my own.

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Kathy is giving away the grand prize of a copy of the book in reader’s choice of format!!

Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.

show activity (+)
review 2019-09-11 17:13
Impressions of Wales
Impressions of Wales - Martin Knowlden

The average standard of these photos doesn't come up to that of its companion, Impressions of the Brecon Beacons, which is a little disappointing. Some seem too conventional or obvious, others on the other hand are delightful. A lot of what you would expect is here; castles, waterfalls, beaches, mountains but additionally some urban views that add interest.