logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Quilt
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-04-21 15:19
Inspired By The Beatles: An Art Quilt Challenge
Inspired by the Beatles: An Art Quilt Challenge - Donna DeSoto

by Donna Marcinkowski DeSoto

This is a book of textile art, filled with beautiful pictures of quilts that were inspired by over 100 Beatles songs.

The quilts show an incredible about of originality and artistic skill in both ideas and execution. The full color photographs are accompanied by explanations of the artists and what inspired them to make the quilts that they did, and what The Beatles' songs mean to them. They range from the literal to the abstract, from whimsical designs like one of my favorites made for the song And Your Bird Can Sing to some that use mental symbols like the one for Come Together.

Each of them is unique and they show a wide variety of styles and interpretations by the individual artists. Some of them, like the one for Day Tripper, have the most amazing use of color and detail work.

I have to admit that the songs were going through my head as I looked through the pictures and by the time I got to I Am The Walrus, the combination of music and colorful, abstract art was bringing me into a sort of natural high!

Some of them, like Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds were hand painted (presumably with fabric paints) and the result of the mixed mediums of painting and stitchery was pretty spectacular. Octopus's Garden was definitely a favorite along with Yellow Submarine. Any of these quilts would be worth a fortune and a real conversation piece for the home.

This is an art book with a difference, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys art as well as those who specifically enjoy the infinite possibilities of textile art.

review 2019-12-28 20:05
Was a kindle freebie
Franklin Roosevelt's Postage Stamp Quilt: The Story of Estella Weaver Nukes' Presidential Gift - Kyra E. Hicks

This is a lovely little book. Basically an essay, but it details the history of a quilt that was sent to FDR. Hicks does an excellent job relating the events as well as the history Estella Weaver Nukes. This was quite a nice read, and a steal for I got it when it was offered free.

If you are interested in quilts, you should check this out.

review 2018-10-01 05:42
The Grub-and-Stakers Quilt a Bee
The Grub-and-Stakers Quilt a Bee - Alisa Craig

Years and years ago, I picked up one of the Grub and Stakers books, House a Haunt because of the quirky name and the allusion to a ghost story.  I remember having to make myself finish it (I did that back then), but I couldn't remember why; it must have held some attractions because when I saw several for sale in the book room at Bouchercon, I bought them.

Now I remember why I had to make myself finish. But I don't know that it's because the books are bad, or if, as I suspect, it's because they're meant to be a type of satire/humor that I'm not primed for.  Alisa Craig is, after all, Charlotte Macleod, an author with more than a few awards and lifetime achievement honors under her belt.

I've never read (that I can remember) anything else by Macleod, but these are written with tongue so firmly in cheek, it's silly.  The characters are over-the-top in a grandiose fashion.  A random opening of the book brings this example of the narrative style:

"I should hope so, egad," Arethusa replied. "I shall sit mumchance at the sideboard, like the twenty-ninth of February."

or

"I have speculated, Dittany. I have also remarked the absence of smudges, stains, or deposits of bird droppings on his garments despite the fact that yon aforementioned ledges have visibly served as roosting places for our feathered friends for, lo, these many decades. I have concluded that it would have taken a degree of ingenuity, agility, and persistence most remarkable in an elderly man of sedentary habit and scholarly inclination for Mr. Fairfield to have accomplished such a feat."

Most of that painful verbosity comes from two characters, a Regency Romance author, played to the hilt of stereotype in that way that usually the Brits do better than anyone, and the Sergeant, a Scotsman.  Another character is a famous author of westerns and he is also played to the hilt of stereotype.

And it is hilarious - the book - on the whole, and the mystery was really clever.  But it was often a slog getting through all that florid writing.  If this book doesn't hold the record for the most occurrences of "forsooth" it must surely be a contender.  The thing is, there's genius here; if Monty Python wrote a cozy, it surely would look a lot like this.

I read this book for the Cozy Mystery square in Halloween Bingo.

review 2017-05-29 16:54
The Hawaiian Quilt, Wanda Brunstetter, Jean Brunstetter
The Hawaiian Quilt - Wanda E. Brunstetter,Jean Brunstetter

I really enjoyed this clean Amish romance. I received this book for free and I voluntarily chose to review it. I've given this a 5* rating. I really liked this heroine and her friends. I liked that she stood up for what was best for her even though she seemed to loose things a bit. It also had a lot of interesting things about Hawaii.

review 2017-02-08 16:30
Sister Sampler Quilts: 3 Modern Sampler Quilts with Paired Sister Blocks - AnneMarie Chany

I like to imagine that some day I’m going to take up quilting as a hobby. So I enjoy picking up books about quilting, and learning helpful hints, and watching how different fabrics turn into different patterns. It’s like coloring without writer’s cramp.    Library copy