logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Therapy
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2021-01-22 11:22
Book Review - Lucky G and the Melancholy Quokka: How Play Therapy can Help Children with Depression by Amy Wilinski-Lyman (Author), Leela Green (Illustrator)
Lucky G and the Melancholy Quokka: How Play Therapy can Help Children with Depression - Amy Wilinski-Lyman

'eye catching illustrations helping a young person understand the difficult topic of depression.'

An ideal book to help a young person understand the difficult topic of depression whilst showing them that they are not alone in having off days, feeling down or lost. This lovely book cleverly uses a zoo instead of a school, using different bright and colorful animals that young readers can relate to helping them to open up and discuss how they are feeling.

The eye catching illustrations follow Lucky G, as he goes round the zoo asking for advice from the other zoo inhabitants on how Blue was feeling, demonstrating to the young reader that people who care and know them well will be concerned and notice a difference in their attitude and behaviour. Lucky G will help them feel that they can reach out and ask for help from someone when they need it. With the animals telling them it is okay to feel this way, I feel that they will respond to the advice rather than a person telling them.

A brilliant descriptive and excellent written book in short rhyming paragraphs and a book that can be read time after time, helping a young reader suffering from depression or knowing someone who is.

Kindle - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MCMZ2F7
Nook - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lucky-g-and-the-melancholy-quokka-amy-wilinski-lyman/1137995656?ean=2940162647904
Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/lucky-g-and-the-melancholy-quokka
Gplay - https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Amy_Wilinski_Lyman_Lucky_G_and_the_Melancholy_Quok?id=9GMGEAAAQBAJ
Paperback - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1615995412
Hardback - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1615995420
Audible - https://www.audible.com/pd/B08R45BFG9

Even the happiest creature on Earth can get the sads! Lucky G makes a trip down under to help out a struggling quokka. Join them on their journey to better mental health.

Lucky G is a big bird on a big mission: To help kids cope with their mental and physical challenges.

Source: beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com/2021/01/lucky-g-and-melancholy-quokka-how-play.html
review 2020-04-26 00:00
The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients (Audio) - Irvin D. Yalom Listened to this audiobook prior to starting a degree in counseling. I don't think I have enough of a professional perspective to have a personal opinion on the quality of this advice, but it was helpful in terms of giving me the opportunity to think about therapy as a prospective therapist, rather than a client. Not sure what to make of Yalom, not being familiar with him from his other writing - but I really disliked the narrator for this audiobook & it's hard to differentiate two. I was not at all expecting to find so much philosophy in this book, for some reason. It was a sweet surprise to hear about my fav Spinoza at the end of this book.
review 2020-04-02 14:14
My Book Hank, The Therapy Dachshund Amazon Review
Hank, The Therapy Dachshund - Mika Ryan

Hank, The Therapy Dachshund is the perfect children's book for school libraries, dog centered gift shops and dog training facilities. It tells a lovely story about a real Therapy Dog, Hank, and his long life helping others. As a Certified Professional Dog Trainer I administer the certification test for Therapy Dogs International and this book is a wonderful way to familiarize children and their adults about the important work these dogs do every day in many situations. I highly recommend this book!

review 2019-08-30 08:48
What Is the Treatment for Generalized Anxiety Disorder?

The two main treatments for GAD are psychotherapy and medications. Anxiety Therapist in Austin might prescribe a mix of treatments.

Therapists often use an approach known as cognitive behavioral therapy Austin, or CBT, to treat generalized anxiety disorder.

This popular variety of therapy, which is employed for a variety of psychological disorders, helps people identify, understand, and alter the thoughts and behaviors that contribute to their condition.

Anxiety therapist Austin may begin you first on a medication to assist along with your symptoms, and tell you that it's going to take 4 to 6 weeks to begin feeling the effects.

Your anxiety therapist can also work with you to work out whether or not to up your dose or add a second medication; typically, one medication will enhance the results of the other or mitigate its side effects.

Visit us and know more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder Treatment Austin. Or you can also schedule an appointment.

Source: atxanxiety.com
review 2019-07-23 15:50
Recommended to wellness retreats enthusiasts with a sense of humour
Nine Perfect Strangers - Liane Moriarty

I thank NetGalley and the publisher (Michael Joseph UK) for providing me an ARC copy of this novel that I freely chose to review.

I’ve read and reviewed two novels by Moriarty, Little Big Lies and Truly, Madly, Deadly, quite different but enjoyable. The first one is funnier, sharper, wittier, and flashier than the other, which is more intense, focuses around a single event and its consequences (although that is a structure the author comes back time and again), the characters are less extreme, glamorous, bubbly, and more evidently damaged and vulnerable. Secrets and lies are a common occurrence, and the difference between appearances and reality and the games people play are present in both. There are similarities in some of the themes and subjects in both novels, and these are also evident in Nine Perfect Strangers, which, in my opinion, sits somewhere in between with regards to the tone and the subject matter. The high quality of the writing is also a constant in the three books.

We have a fairly large cast of characters, seemingly unrelated and contrasting in their beliefs and attitudes to life (although not particularly diverse), composed by the guests (or clients) at an Australian wellness retreat, and the staff members. The guests are: a family of three (Napoleon, Heather, and Zoe, their daughter, whose 21st birthday is due during their stay at Tranquillum House, all still struggling with a big loss in their lives); a young couple, Jessica and Ben, who won the lottery and now are rich beyond their wildest dreams but not necessarily happier; a romance writer who hasn’t moved with the times (Frances); Tony, and ex-footballer (Australian football) who used to be known as Smiley but seems to find it difficult to find his place in the world now, Lars, a divorce lawyer living happily (?) with a long-term male partner but afraid to commit too much (no children); and Carmel, a divorced mother obsessed by her weight and lacking in self-confidence. The staff members are Masha, Yao, and Delilah. Masha, who used to hold a high-powered corporate position, has rediscovered herself as a wellness guru. Delilah used to be her PA in her previous incarnation and has come along for the ride, and Yao, formerly a paramedic, met Masha in interesting circumstances and is convinced by her programme and devoted to her. At first, this mishmash of characters seem straight out of a joke book, and they appear as caricatures, but through their “therapy” we get to know them as fully fledged individuals and get to empathise with them. There are parallels between them, perhaps inevitably. All of them are struggling with changes in their lives, due to age, to personal tragedies, to external events, and have difficulty coming to terms with those and moving on. Some of the characters are better drawn than others although none of them are true evil, they all (or most) have their moments of clarity and stardom, and I think most readers are likely to find somebody to connect with.

The story is told in the third person from most of the characters’ points of views, although some get more space than others (Frances, Masha, Yao, for example have a great deal to say), but this varies as the story evolves, and this technique helps readers get into the thick of things. There is a fairly dramatic prologue, which takes place ten years before the rest of the action and at first appears unrelated, but is not. After the main action of the novel ends (this somewhat “false” ending is cathartic but not quite as dramatic as the reveals in the two other novels), we have a number of chapters that follow the characters (some of them) for a period afterwards, providing a protracted ending that I really enjoyed and thought suited the story well. (One of the problem with therapies is that sometimes we don’t get a long-enough follow-up to see how effective they are long-term. This is not the case here).

I won’t go into detail about the actual therapy the guests engage in, as I want to avoid spoilers. Let’s say some of the elements will be familiar to people who have ever undertaken (or even read about) a retreat, but there are some pretty big surprises, and things turn pretty dark too, although people who prefer their novels free from major violence and blood are on safe ground here. That does not mean that there are no serious subjects at the heart of the novel (loss and suicide feature heavily, as does drug use, growing older… and there are major questions asked, such as: what defines who we are, how much value we place in those around us and our relationships with them, our role in society versus our own interests…), but there are moments of mirth and hilarity (many down to Frances, who made me think of the heroin of a chick-lit novel growing older disgracefully, as should be), and despite the difficult moments all the characters go through, this is not a challenging reading experience, and there are no great insights or revelations bound to make any readers feel enlightened or keep them thinking for ages once they finish the novel. It’s true that all the characters learn something by the end, but, if there is a serious message in this novel is that there are no quick-fixes or shortcuts to solving one’s problems, and we have to keep working at it day after day. But you might come to a different conclusion if you read it.

A few quotes from the book:

So I called reception and asked for a lower, cloudier, more comfortable sky. (Frances, describing how she felt contemplating the sky that day).

Sol was a real man who didn’t like adjectives or throw cushions.

She sucked in her stomach, ready to take it like a man, or at least like a romance novelist capable of reading her own royalty statements. (This is dedicated to all fellow authors).

In sum, I enjoyed the novel, although it is not my favourite work by the Moriarty. It has light touches and funny moments, some serious ones, pretty memorable characters, some ominous and dark undertones, it is easy to read, well-written engaging and entertaining. Another Australian author whose books I eagerly await.