logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Time-Travel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-08-24 14:01
Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales From the Cafe
Before the Coffee Gets Cold - Toshikazu Kawaguchi,Geoffrey Trousselot

by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

This was an interesting concept and quirky in the way of Japanese stories in translation. The difference in sentence structure actually serves to place the reader in a Japanese coffee shop.

Apparently it's a second book of a series, but it stands alone just fine! The general premise is that you can travel back in time in a particular coffee shop, though you can't change anything. You are given a cup of coffee and have until the coffee goes cold, at which point you will be pulled back to your natural time. A very original time travel concept!

The character development was good and reminded me of my experience of the Japanese people when I visited Tokyo many years ago. The stories were charming and entertaining for those who enjoy Japanese media.

review 2020-06-22 17:31
TWR Ultimate Blog Tour
Crossing In Time - D. L. Orton,Micah McDonald

Book source ~ Tour

Isabel Sanborn and Diego Nadales broke up over a decade ago, but neither has gotten over the other. A chance meeting in Denver right after Isabel signs her divorce papers puts them on a precarious path to love. And destruction. The only way to save the world is for Isabel to go back in time, but there’s no return ticket and no guarantee the plan will even work. Will she take that quantum leap?

I’ll admit to being a tad confused in the beginning, but things are soon sorted out. Then there’s a bombshell (almost literally) and then I’m back to being confused. But that’s probably just me. There’s a reason why I don’t read many time travel books anymore and it’s because I can’t figure them out. They make my head hurt. Lol However, there are things in this story that are never explained or fleshed out. Some are just dropped in like a bomb, others are mentioned and then never heard from again. Or maybe I missed them? Not sure. Anyway, it isn’t until about 20% that I really became invested in the story. After that it’s a race to the end, to see if our world is saved. Or not.

There are three POVs and the story switches between Isabel, Diego, and a physics professor named Matt Hudson. I’m not sure I totally understand what was going on in The Magic Kingdom (it’s a nickname for a place, not really Disney Land), but the sci-fi mumbo jumbo takes a back seat to the characters and the world they are living in. I couldn’t help but cheer them on because they really needed the cheering. What a mess. Yikes! Plus, I really wanted Isabel and Diego’s story to have a HEA because of everything they had been through.  Do they? You’ll have to read to find out how it all ends.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2020/06/twr-tour-crossing-in-time.html
review 2020-06-16 16:39
Review ~ Decent read
Where We First Began - Rebecca Elise

Book source ~ Review copy. My review is voluntary and honest.

Aubrey Harrison is a student at Texas A&M. The night of Chilifest she leaves the party to head home and swerves to avoid hitting a deer. Ok, side note here from Auntie Carol: never swerve to avoid hitting an animal unless you have plenty of clear space to do so AND you are not traveling at a high rate of speed. Because of this very reason - she runs off the road and flips her truck, ending up in the hospital and in a coma. Seriously. Hit the deer instead. You’re less likely to be hurt. Ok, back to the review.

Aubrey wakes up in San Antonio in 1836. Yep. 1836. She is still Aubrey Harrison, but not the Aubrey these people know. I have no idea what happened to the 1836 Aubrey. Maybe they really are one and the same? Time travel is so confusing. So, now 2018 Aubrey is in 1836 and that would be bad enough, but she finds out that the Battle of the Alamo is only a few weeks away. And we all know what happened then. Should Aubrey try to change the future? Can she even do that? She could probably change a small detail here and there, but a battle so monumental? Dilemma!

This is a fascinating concept, but I found a good portion of the beginning to be too slow for my tastes. It takes a while to build up speed, but when it does it was well worth the wait. Aubrey does a good job of straddling two time periods and not going bonkers. Then there’s Tapley, who looks so much like Lee, a classmate back in 2018. I’m not going to give away anything about this story because you’ll want to discover it for yourself. If you like time travel love stories then this is one you won’t want to miss.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2020/06/where-we-first-began.html
review 2020-06-08 15:06
Continuum
Continuum (Chronicles of the Harekaiian Book 3) - Shanna Lauffey

by Shanna Lauffey

This episode really kicks the series into gear. Marcus gets a lot of character development and both he and Kallie broaden their travels to places that the author has obviously been to and knows well.

There's a lot of excitement and firepower in this one. I don't want to give spoilers but we get to travel through multiple states and move right into the enemy's den. There's more demonstration of the potential of short term time travel and ways it can be used to get away with all sorts of things.

An amazing adventure in a series that just keeps getting better with every installment!

review 2020-06-03 13:01
The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster
The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster - Scott Wilbanks

by Scott Wilbanks

Oh my, where do I start? This is a time travel book, my favorite subject, with an interesting selection of misfit characters. As far as the mechanism for time travel goes, it's a simple magic door, or actually a more complex magic door than the usual, but we're only given hints about how it actually works.

It starts out in 1895 with some rough city life and the leader of a sandlot gang being warned to flee, though we don't yet know why. The gang are pickpockets and scrounge food in an almost Dickensian situation, only they're in Kansas City. Then we move out into the country in Kansas and still in 1895 and meet Elsbeth Grundy. She owns a farm, but one day finds a house on her back 40 and writes the occupant a letter of complaint.

The letter is received by Annabelle Aster, only she lives in 1995 San Francisco and sees the farmhouse as an intruder into her back yard in her own time and location. There was an anomaly about other girls swooning over David Cassidy when Annie was growing up, which seemed to be in the wrong era, but otherwise so far so good.

Annabelle writes back to Elsbeth, explaining her side of things and the story begins to develop into something that becomes very interesting and intricate. Annie shows the farm to her best friend, Christian, who has his own strange experiences of repeatedly seeing a face in a crowd. On one occasion time seems to slow down while this is occurring, then speeds up again.

There's a great quote in reference to dumbing down writing: "Never lower yourself for others. Make them rise to you. Whether they can or not is their burden, not yours."

The writing for this story is very good and I considered giving it the full 5 stars, but a few things towards the end could use some clarification and I had to stretch belief a little far concerning something about the bad guy's sidekick.

The story did include an excellently written high tension climax, some very creative methods of self defence and the most erotic kiss I've ever read, ever! The erotica writers could take some lessons from this.

I'm being careful about saying too much about the plot because part of the joy of reading this story was discovering the intricate connections along the way. It involves a stage magician, a murder, some rough business dealings and hiding a baby in time. I found it all very original and absorbing and pretty much read the second half of the book in one sitting.

In places it feels like a nice story of friendships between women, or an in-depth look at flexible morality issues, or a high action story of intrigue. There's something of everything in there and plenty of mystery to boot. Most importantly, it was a great read and will leave me remembering the characters for some time to come. I'll also be keeping an eye out for anything else written by this author.