logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arcane
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-28 18:21
Book Review: Hart Of Mine (Cale & Mickey #4) By Annie Arcane
Hart of Mine - Annie Arcane

This was a cute ending to this series. I still wish that the author would have published full books instead of novellas after the first one released. Overall, I'm satisfied with the way the story was finalized.

I like Mickey's humor and how she usually pushes back on wasting money (even though Cale seems to think it falls from the sky). In this novella, we finally find out how she and Cale ended up meeting, which was something that never crossed my mind after I finished the first book. I wish the author had elaborated on the situation between Mickey and Richard (the blackmail and her having to work in his building). That would have made for some plot enhancing twists and turns.

Cale is incredible. He doesn't let life get him down, even with the hand he was dealt. I like the dynamic he and Mickey have. He seems to be insecure about their relationship and that was surprising because of everything they've gone through together.

Even though this ending was beautiful, I still keep catching myself thinking up of 'what ifs'. This could have made for a much longer and more exciting series without all the time jumps and more content. I will say though that the dialogue in this novel was way better when compared to the other 3 books in this series. The witty banter was on point throughout the story.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Today, I wouldn't fight the inevitable. I'd surrender willingly."

"She challenged me, lured me to the edge of reason, pushed me off the f*cking cliff... And caught me every single time."

"She was my once-in-a-lifetime. My too-good-to-be-true."

review 2017-10-31 15:24
Book Review: Hart Of Hers By Annie Arcane
Hart of Hers - Annie Arcane

I'm disappointed with how this novel turned out. I was expecting so much more. My expectations were apparently too high and I've been let down. I think this had the potential to be a full length novel because of the blackmail plot point that was brought up towards the end. I would have liked for the author to elaborate on it and make it a more cohesive part of the story (with a certain degree of drama).

Mickey is a wonderful character. She's stubborn, feisty and does what she can to protect Cale. Though it sometimes ends up biting her in the *ss, she still has his back. I don't understand, though, why she kept the blackmail from Cale until it exploded in his face.

Cale is a sweet heart. He has his "alpha" moments, but he's overall caring, bullheaded and protective of Mickey. He'll do whatever is in his power to protect her and that's what I most admire about him.

On a completely different note, I wish the author would start to situate the reader in certain scenes. There were scenes that would be half a page long and would leave me confused because I wouldn't know who was talking to whom and where they were until after the fact. So it wouldn't mean anything to the story in my head until much later when context was finally added by the characters in a completely different conversation. Overall, I'm disappointed in this book but I would still give the next book in this series a chance. I like the characters and I'm invested enough to want them to get a happy ending.

My Favorite Quotes:

"I could empathize with movie villains. I could understand the temptation. The willingness to shut everything down in a split second with no hesitation and zero remorse [...]."

"Sneaking suspicions aren't natural to me. Exit strategies have always been my forte."

"And you know what they say about lies, right? They always surface. They always catch up with you. They always come out in the end."

review 2017-10-17 22:08
Book Review: Hart Of His (Cale & Mickey #2) By Annie Arcane
Hart of His: A Wounded Hero Romance - Annie Arcane

I wish this had been a full length novel because it ended too fast. I loved having the opportunity to glimpse into Cale's mind. I wasn't expecting to find what I found while in there. This was a beautiful novel. The author's writing style is amazing.

Being in Cale's head in no easy place. You could probably say that about most people, but he's had it especially tough when you consider he's a paraplegic and prideful to a fault. He's worked so hard to overcome his disability in so many ways that he isn't accustomed to having someone want to help him. His pride gets in his way and it makes his relationship with Mickey that much more difficult because she doesn't back down very easily. His insecurities about his disability and why Mickey is still around also get in his way very often. The way he deals with the consequences isn't always pretty or smart.

Mickey is more in the background in this novel but plays a part that's just as important. She's very stubborn but, unlike Cale, she'll back down when she deems the argument pointless. That only serves to irritate Cale even more, which ends with him saying something he'll regret. I liked how she dealt with his verbal assaults. At the end of the day, I think they both realize that their relationship is worth more than their stubbornness.

The ending was very sweet. The on and off relationship dynamic they have going on is starting to get annoying because this is the second book in this series in which this happens. I'd have hoped they'd have gotten over that triviality by now. Overall, this was a very eye-opening book and it does justice to the first book.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Everyone has a limit. Everyone has a breaking point. [...] He would much rather die than allow you to witness it. That's the problem with loving a superhero."

"One minute you're fine and the next minute... Everything just collapses around you. And the whole f*cking world caves in."

review 2017-10-04 00:14
Book Review: Hart Broken (Mickey & Cale #1) By Annie Arcane
Hart Broken - Annie Arcane

This book was incredible! The witty humor and the stubbornness of the main characters kept me coming back for more. This was also my second time reading about a paraplegic main character and it didn't disappoint. It made it all the more evident the everyday struggles a paraplegic has to go through on a daily basis.

I saw so much of myself in Mickey (aside from the similar nickname). She's as imperfect as they come and that makes her an amazing character. She stutters, mixes up answers to questions, is prideful and makes mistakes (i.e. the hotel scene with her ex which had me shaking my head the entire time). I understand why she kept her past a secret, but it was still heartbreaking to see her relationship slipping through her fingers. I'd like to point out that before everything was revealed I could have sworn that I had missed something big, or that my iPad had corrupted the ebook in someway because I could have sworn that there was a page or two of critical information missing because the author kept me (the reader) in the dark until the very end. It ended up paying off, but it had me very confused up to the reveal.

Cale was so cute from the start. I loved how much of a nerd he was on some subjects and his sense of snarky humor was on point for the entire novel. He was also as stubborn as Mickey and that made their relationship all the more entertaining to read about. It was different, for me, to read about a paraplegic hero and I wasn't disappointed. He made it a point to overcome his disability as much as he could and for that he's earned my respect.

Looking back on the story it seemed very long winded, but it didn't feel like it (if that makes any sense). I think the on and off relationship and the limbo phase that it took could have been cut down and made for a faster paced book. At one point it's mentioned that Mickey and Cale's relationship spanned 3 months, but the way the book was set up it felt like at least a year. Overall, this book was great!

My Favorite Quotes:

"I was cruising around in the Batmobile on my nightly patrol of the city when I happened to come across Mickey, who was in desperate need of a superhero."

"Sometimes, once-in-a-lifetime means precisely that. Sometimes, you lose something great. Sometimes you don't get a second chance. Sometimes, you can't get it back."

"You go through life expecting paper cuts. You go through life learning from knife wounds. You go through life surviving the rest. Sometimes, you lose a piece of yourself that you can never get back."

review 2017-08-18 15:50
Thoughts: In Too Deep
In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10) - Jayne Ann Krentz

In Too Deep
by Jayne Ann Krentz
Book 10 of Arcane Society
-- Book 1 of Looking Glass Trilogy

Scargill Cove is the perfect place for Fallon Jones, confirmed recluse and investigator of the paranormal.  It’s a hot spot, a convergence point for unusually strong currents of energy, which might explain why the town attracts misfits and drifters like moths to a flame.  Now someone else has been drawn to the Cove — Isabella Valdez, on the run from some very dangerous men.

When she starts working as Fallon’s assistant, Isabella impresses him by organizing his pathologically chaotic office—and doesn’t bat an eye at the psychic element of his job.  She’s a kindred spirit, a sanctuary from a world that considers his talents a form of madness.  But after a routine case unearths an antique clock infused with dark energy, Fallon and Isabella are dragged into the secret history of Scargill Cove and forced to fight for their lives, as they unravel a cutthroat conspiracy with roots in the Jones family business…and Isabella’s family tree.

In Too Deep was another highly enjoyable Jayne Ann Krentz contemporary romantic suspense, with paranormal elements.  This is the tenth installment of the Arcane Society series, and the first in the sub-trilogy called Looking Glass, and we very soon get introduced to the so-titled "looking glass" as well as some introductions to the Victorian era events that will probably be brought up once again in the next Arcane book.

In Too Deep is not my favorite of the Arcane series, but like any other JAK contemporary, it is suspenseful with lots of twists, great characters, and fun wit.  Fallon Jones is an interesting character, and while I found his anti-social, stoic personality kind of appealing, especially as he seems to also emit some sort of "fish out of water" behavior when it comes to socializing, or even playing nice, there were things about him that seemed too brusque for my liking.

Isabella Valdez is an interesting character as well, coming from a family that "leaves no paper trail" of their existence.  What it is like to have no legal or official identity, always ready to be on the run... sounds like a tiring life.  Her sunny disposition was a bit over-the-top, but probably good for Fallon, I suppose.

Neither of the two characters' talents are really delved into very well, so I never quite understood Isabella's psychic skill.  Fallon's skill has been rehashed throughout the series, so I didn't have too much of a problem figuring him out, but it was still quite confusing.

Meanwhile, the background conspiracy is still ongoing, even though I'm of the impression that this is the last of the Arcane contemporary books.  I suppose sometimes you can't solve everything.

The true highlight of this book was really the little community of Scargill Cove.  It gave off a stranger than strange small town vibe, where everyone has secrets, but everyone protects each other, and everyone sort of knows who belongs in the Cove and who doesn't.  It's an almost weird creepy vibe, I suppose, when you get a bunch of sensitives together, even if they don't know they have some form of psychic talent.

Then there's the underground bunker with the clockwork curiosities that pretty much starts me thinking in terms of steampunk.  And it sets up a great transition into the next book of this series, Quicksilver.

As per usual, my rambling really just proves that JAK books are extremely enjoyable and entertaining while you read them, but when you try to talk about them, you don't come up with a whole lot.

Source: anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2017/08/thoughts-in-too-deep.html