logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: bell
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-02 22:28
The Division Bell Mystery by Ellen Wilkinson
The Division Bell Mystery - Ellen Wilkinson

This seemed to start off a bit slow just because it seemed to take a while to establish the characters and cover a lot of the governmental stuff. But either it picked up or I got more into it because the later chapters seemed to go by much more smoothly. The mystery is good and interesting overall although I think the biggest selling point of the book is that it was written by a former MP back in the early 1930s and she peppers the book with observations on the government and how women MPs were treated. I liked how the relationship between the elected people and the civil servants was portrayed as well.

Previous updates:

65 %

47 %

review 2020-03-13 16:06
Fair, Unremarkable Thriller
Something She's Not Telling Us - Darcey Bell

Charlotte’s brother’s latest girlfriend Ruth is greeted with some justified suspicion in Darcey Bell’s Something She’s Not Telling Us.  His history of dating highly unstable women, occasional lapses in sobriety and a demonstrated lack of judgement cause his family to scrutinize his latest conquest.  On the other hand, Charlotte is revealed to be an overprotective, paranoid and obsessive person who has some serious problems with objectivity and a tenuous grip on reality herself. Such a character makes for an interestingly biased perspective. This type of “protagonist” is an unreliable narrator akin to those Bell has employed in the past—one that causes the reader to immediately be on guard when evaluating her version of events. Other chapters feature the point of view of Ruth, another source that is transparently skewed. Fans of A Simple Favor and the film upon which it is based may be somewhat disappointed by Bell’s latest effort, for although the novel contains some innovative twists and is well written, it suffers from an overabundance of side plots that distract and stretch credulity. The psychology of the villain is incompletely developed, and her motives are insufficiently substantial to warrant the extremity of her actions. The reader is also left guessing as to why Ruth elects to victimize Rocco’s family, and Charlotte and her family are so unlikeable that not a lot of pity is generated for them. The big revelations are a bit predictable and banal, and the ending falls short of climactic. In sum, Something She’s Not Telling Us is diverting enough as a standard suspense story, but unfortunately is not one that is particularly remarkable or memorable.

Thanks to the author, Harper Collins and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

review 2020-01-06 17:56
Kidnapping & Murder – Dead Or Alive by Jane Blythe @jblytheauthor
Dead or Alive (Detective Parker Bell) (Volume 3) - Jane Blythe

Dead Or Alive by Jane Blythe is Book III in the Detective Parker Bell series and it is wonderful to be back with such a fabulous group of characters and to see what trouble they find themselves in this time.

Dead or Alive (Detective Parker Bell #3)

Amazon / Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Dead Or Alive by Jane Blythe starts out with a BANG…and keeps on going.

Detective Parker Bell is doing his grocery shopping, just a mundane chore we can all relate to, when he hears a gunshot and sees a car screeching out of the parking lot. Two bodies are lying on the pavement…

The characters all have their heavy baggage to bear and miscommunication abounds because of their need to protect themselves, and their secrets. Parker and Tessa are together, but she holds tight to her thoughts and feelings. It’s a good thing he has patience and so much love for her.

Wyatt is Parker’s partner, but he thinks of him as his brother. Parker has a tendency to let his emotions rule him, becoming personally involved in many of his cases. That is how him and Tessa came to be together, but that is another story.

I love Jane Blythe’s ability to put me in the middle of the suspense and danger, Darkness and their past seem to dog their every footstep.

Tessa…she is my favorite character. If something needs to be done, she feels she must do it herself. She will sacrifice everything for Parker and her friends and family. She puts herself last.

I had trouble with a few things, but as the story came together and Jane was wrapping everything up, it all became clear. I love when an author leads me down a path that trips me up and leaves me saying, AHA, I get it now.

When Parker comes up missing, she makes a deal with the devil…and that is the tease for the next book in this standalone series. I do recommend beginning at the beginning because I have loved every step of the way, but Jane Blythe recaps a lot of the past action so that you can know why these characters do what they do.

SO…What’s the cost of making a deal with the devil? Find out in Little Girl Lost.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Dead Or alive by Jane Blythe.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY REVIEWS FOR JANE BLYTHE’S BOOKS

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/kidnapping-murder-dead-or-alive-by-jane-blythe-jblytheauthor
show activity (+)
review 2019-12-21 00:29
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

I read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath to complete my 2015 special reading challenge for a book written by someone under the age thirty when it was written.

It is an intense novel and one that seems hellish upon review. I gave this book five stars.

It has a sharp hook in the beginning. I could relate to the description of the scent of the subway.

"It was a QUEER, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York. I'm stupid about executions. The idea of being electrocuted makes me sick, and that's all there was to read about in the papers -- goggle-eyed headlines staring up at me on every street corner and at the fusty, peanut-smelling mouth of every subway.

It had nothing to do with me, but I couldn't help wondering what it would be like, being burned alive all along your nerves.

I thought it must be the worst thing in the world. New York was bad enough."

The protagonist is rooming at the Amazon in New York with a dozen other girls on the same floor. She can relate to Doreen. "Doreen had intuition. Everything she said was like a secret voice speaking straight out of my own bones."

After seeing Doreen drunk and falling down into her own vomit, she decided she wouldn't have anything to do with her.

She had gone to a Technicolor movie where she began to feel ill. So did Betsy, one of her roomies. "We slipped out of our seats and said 'Excuse me Excuse me Excuse me' down the length of our row, while the people grumbled and hissed and shifted their rain boots and umbrellas to let us pass, and I stepped on as many feet as I could because it took my mind off this enormous desire to puke that was ballooning up in front of me so fast I couldn't see round it." They had food poisoning and some of them almost died. Doreen came to nurse her.

She had a problem tipping people for doing things she could just as easily have done for herself. She also had a problem with the amount of tips since she never had the correct change.

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Jar-SylviaPlath-ebook-dp-B082RW9FMP

review 2019-12-21 00:21
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

I thought it must be the worst thing in the world. New York was bad enough."