logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: bitch-planet
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-05-29 21:41

Source: Own copy

Date Read: May 13, 2019

Read for BoB Cycle 25

Blurb

Eisner Award-nominated writer KELLY SUE DeCONNICK (PRETTY DEADLY, Captain Marvel) and VALENTINE DE LANDRO (X-Factor) follow up on the success of EXTRAORDINARY MACHINE with the second installment of their highly acclaimed and fiercely unapologetic BITCH PLANET. A few years down the road in the wrong direction, a woman's failure to comply with her patriarchal overlords results in exile to the meanest penal planet in the galaxy. But what happened on Earth that this new world order came to pass in the first place? Return to the grim corridors of Auxiliary Compliance Outpost #2, to uncover the first clues to the history of the world as we know it…and meet PRESIDENT BITCH.

This volume collects issues #6-10, a reader discussion guide and additional bonus materials.

Review

Since volume 1 was less than what I was hoping for, I tempered my expectations going into this volume; yet this volume was a bit better than the first, but not by much. The artwork is still amateurish, and the storytelling is focused on telling the back story on two characters prior to their incarceration. Again, the plot didn't start moving along until the very end and then ended abruptly. I still don't like the "advertisements" stuffed in between the story telling. At the end of this volume, although I did enjoy meeting the President, I realized that the authors and illustrators are just trying to hard to be edgy and "woke" without a plan or outline for the series and the work suffers greatly. I won't be continuing with the series.

review 2019-05-29 21:33

Source: Owned

Date Read: May 13, 2019

Read for BoB Cycle 25

Blurb:

Eisner Award-nominated writer Kelly Sue DeConnick (Pretty Deadly, Captain Marvel) and Valentine De Landro (X-Factor) team up to bring you the premiere volume of Bitch Planet, a deliciously vicious riff on women-in-prison sci-fi exploitation.

In a future just a few years down the road in the wrong direction, a woman's failure to comply with her patriarchal overlords will result in exile to the meanest penal planet in the galaxy. When the newest crop of fresh femmes arrive, can they work together to stay alive or will hidden agendas, crooked guards, and the deadliest sport on (or off!) Earth take them to their maker?

Collects BITCH PLANET #1-5

*****************************************************************************************************

Review:

I had high hopes for this series. It was a disappointment. The artwork is okay, a bit sloppy in some places. The nudity isn't for shock value or to tilitate, but is very natural and there is a wide variety of different cis women bodies. But the story telling is hard to follow at times and there is a lot of setting up the world that feels like an info-dump. By the time the story gets going with the plot, the volume is over. The insert of some weird "back of a magazine" advertisement just tends to gummed up the story telling and should have been organized in the back of the volume.

review 2018-07-06 13:14
Comic collection of short stories to support Bitch Planet
Bitch Planet: Triple Feature Volume 1 - ... Bitch Planet: Triple Feature Volume 1 - Cheryl Lynn Eaton,Conley Lyons,Andrew Aydin,Kelly Sue DeConnick

In this collection, there are a load of short stories by a variety of writers and artists to back up the Bitch Planet series. They show the fascistic dystopian world of often violent oppression of minorities and women. With such a collection, some stories will work better for the individual reader than others so it's a matter of personal preference.

Gruesome and reasonably entertaining, worth a look. Quite good.

review 2018-07-04 21:45
Just not into this
Bitch Planet Volume 1 - Kelly Sue DeConnick,Robert Wilson IV,Valentine De Landro

I'm having trouble connecting with this: it's not bad, I just don't care for it as much as I expected to, especially when reading two volumes one after another.

There's a lot to unpack in this, but I just wasn't feeling up to it, so my feelings may change if I read this later on; I remember loving the first issue, and then I kinda feel like I lost the plot when reading this.

I love this author's work, so I suspect this was me/my mood more than the book itself.

review 2017-08-23 01:15
Review: Bitch Planet Vol 2
Bitch Planet Volume 2: President Bitch - Kelly Sue DeConnick

Powerful and compelling reading, just like the first volume. Interested to see what happens next.