logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: ego-tripping
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2019-06-16 22:05
Audiobook Review: Tripping on a Halo by: Alessandra Torre (Author), Tor Thom (Narrator), Charley Ongel (Narrator)
Tripping on a Halo - Alessandra Torre,Tor Thom,Charley Ongel

Love takes an otherworldly turn and I may never stop laughing again. Tripping on a Halo is not your average romance. Torre changes the rules when it comes to guardian angels. Autumn and Declan are a breath of fresh air. She knows how to keep life interesting. He's clueless when it comes to love. They shouldn't make sense, yet seem to be a perfect fit. Thom and Ongel, let their sense of humor shine through in this adorably, unconventional look at love.

review 2018-10-22 17:05
Review: The 100 Best African American Poems- Edited by Nikki Giovanni

7960189

'The 100 Best African-American Poems' compiled by Nikki Giovanni is a very fine work, a kaleidoscope of images, emotions and observations of the Black Experience in America. It's an anthology of some of the works by various poets including titans like Amiri Baraka, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Sonia Sanchez, Langston Hughes and Giovanni herself.

Ego Tripping (there may be a Reason)

I was born in the congo
I walked to the fertile crescent and built
the sphinx
I designed a pyramid so tough that a star
that only glows every one hundred years falls
into the center giving divine perfect light
I am bad

I sat on the throne
drinking nectar with allah
I got hot and sent an ice age to europe
to cool my thirst
My oldest daughter is nefertiti
the tears from my birth pains
created the nile
I am a beautiful woman

I gazed on the forest and burned
out the sahara desert
with a packet of goat's meat
and a change of clothes
I crossed it in two hours
I am a gazelle so swift
so swift you can't catch me

For a birthday present when he was three
I gave my son hannibal an elephant
He gave me rome for mother's day
My strength flows ever on

My son noah built new/ark and
I stood proudly at the helm
as we sailed on a soft summer day
I turned myself into myself and was
jesus
men intone my loving name
All praises All praises
I am the one who would save

I sowed diamonds in my back yard
My bowels deliver uranium
the filings from my fingernails are
semi-precious jewels
On a trip north
I caught a cold and blew
My nose giving oil to the arab world
I am so hip even my errors are correct
I sailed west to reach east and had to round off
the earth as I went
The hair from my head thinned and gold was laid
across three continents

I am so perfect so divine so ethereal so surreal
I cannot be comprehended except by my permission

I mean...I...can fly
like a bird in the sky...

Such collections are always subjective- you'll always wonder why something was left out, and I noticed a couple of absences myself- but that's part of the fun, and I discovered a few gems I'd never seen before such as Old Lem, Mercy Killing, Freedom Candy and those Winter Sundays, as well as the immortal standards Harlem, Nikki-Rosa, Lift Every Voice and Sing and of course Giovanni's own magnum opus: Ego Tripping- There May Be A Reason Why, which I will always consider to be one of the finest examples of not only African-American but American culture ever created (see above). The cd is a treat- readings of about a third of the selections done by the authors themselves and notables like Ruby Dee and of course, Giovanni.

It's an excellent collection of poetry and very much a time travel device, taking you for a look back to those days when... though sometimes they don't seem all that distant. This would be a wonderful gift for anyone of any age or race but especially to African-Americans. Like singing in the cotton fields it's a chorus of bright, strong voices from our past to lighten the load a little and help guide the way as you ease on down the road.

5/5 Stars
review 2017-07-16 00:00
Space Tripping
Space Tripping - Patrick Edwards

Other than the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, I can’t think of many other books that start out more strangely than Space Tripping.

The tale opens when Chuck Higgins is standing by his truck and a drunken alien pilot, Jopp Wenslode, crash-lands on earth and tries to hijack the truck. In short order, the truck, Chuck, and Jopp are pulled skyward inside a huge alien spaceship. All this in less than three pages.

A bewildered Chuck finds himself forced to help Jopp work off a debt to the universe’s oldest corporation, the Prime Partners Intergalactic Consortium. That or be eaten by aliens who don’t think much of human abilities. Chuck and Jopp are chased across the galaxy as Jopp has been assigned the task of transporting a mysterious and apparently valuable black case. What follows is something of a college guy’s sci fi fantasy. There are endless streams of flowing alcohol or similar beverages with equivalent kicks. Chuck is astonished to meet a species called the Griffins who believe earth humans have set the intergalactic standard for partying. Perhaps alluring police officer Rohi Kahpanova can best be described as Omni-sexual as she gets along with various genders and alien species, although we don’t see her, or anyone else for that matter, engaged in that sort of physical activity.

Despite claims made in the book’s publicity, I wouldn’t categorize this quirky tale as comedy. Most of the humor occurs in the bantering, very colloquial dialogue between Jopp and Chuck. There’s one element very reminiscent of the Stainless Steel Rat books, namely the constant stream of escapes from space pirates and interplanetary police.

Patrick Edwards gives us more than a fast-paced if very light read. He has a very descriptive eye, especially detailing the constantly shifting settings and the many types of aliens. Still, this isn’t a romp to take very seriously. It’s like an old-fashioned science fiction adventure story with no attempt to be believable or give readers some sort of social message. If you like your sci fi fun, Space Tripping should be down your alley. Oh yea, it’s just volume one of a new series. There’s a sample chapter from book two to whet your appetite.

This review was originally published at:
goo.gl/WK8cUg

review 2016-08-04 04:51
Tripping Back Blue (Fiction - Young Adult) - Kara Storti

This book was an okay read. I would recommend it. It just wasn't my most favorite book but it was still worth a read. I'd read it again someday probably. The main character was pretty likable and relatable. The idea of this brand new drug no one's ever heard of before was fascinating. I have seen other reviewers say this and I have to agree, the best scenes were the ones where the main character is getting high. They were written extremely well and were very amusing.

show activity (+)
review 2016-05-24 00:14
Tripping Back Blue
Tripping Back Blue (Fiction - Young Adult) - Kara Storti

Finn wants his twin sister to succeed. He doesn’t care what happens to his future, as she is the bright one in the family, the one who has the potential to be successful. Finn has taken it upon himself to be the one to help her even though she has not asked anyone for help.   There are countless issues with Finn assisting his sister. It was a nice gesture but he is going about it, all the wrong way. Finn is going to finance his sister’s college education selling illegal drugs.

Finn has found a new magic drug that he feels he can make a fortune on. Finn, a drug dealer feels this new drug will be a hot item which will earn him more money.   Finding this drug is complicated and it brings about bigger stakes than what Finn has been dealing with previously. The novel becomes intense as I was worried about the outcome of the parties involved. Finn had developed a relationship with an older woman who had this new drug and I loved this relationship. He finally had found someone who he could talk to and be himself.   He was a different person when he was with her. She accepted him for who he was and they both found something within each other. Finn is spiraling out of control and he doesn’t see what drugs are doing to his own life, for he only wants to make money for his sister’s future. As the story unfolds, it is frightful to see Finn sink deeper and deeper into his own world, his disregard for his own life and his inadequate choices make me want to scream.   He is moving forward, not thinking about circumstances or choices, he is just looking for the next high or the dollar. He is focused and blind, a boy driven yet driving himself over the edge.   Finn’s world creates an intense vibe, a powerful adrenaline as he moves throughout the novel staying elated on life and trying to stay on top of this latest drug. He is constantly on the move, constantly being present and his constant state of high produces an air of urgency, an urgency that I felt as I flipped through the pages.   Life was good for Finn: he was making money, he had a new friend and he was higher than he had ever been. His sister tried to bring Finn back to Earth but Finn had his sights on her education. When things started to spin out of control, there was no way Finn was letting go of his goal.

I enjoyed reading this novel; I felt the intensity of what was occurring throughout the novel. I felt the power of the drugs as they filtered throughout the novel and the power they possessed. I thought it was a great story; I was captivated by the energy the novel produced and I needed to know what would happened to the characters and their lives. The story of the new drug and its origin was creepy and weird but it worked great with this storyline.