logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: family-death
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-04-21 00:00
Batgirl Vol. 3: Death of the Family (The New 52)
Batgirl Vol. 3: Death of the Family (The New 52) - Gail Simone it was setting up to be an interesting story when Gail Simone got yanked as the writer, and the following writers brought it down terribly, then she returned on the last issue of this volume and rescued it but it's a terrible shame. Could've been a great, strong volume like the previous 2 but definitely got bogged down by the change of writer.
review 2016-07-27 18:17
Detective novel set in Botswana but for Kudu, this time it's personal!
A Death in the Family: A Detective Kubu Mystery - Michael Stanley

The fifth in the series but the first for me, this detective story takes place in Botswana with Detective Kudu at the centre of the story. The plot involves several murders and some corruption in high places regarding a mining project.

The characters are well-defined but the book could have been shorter: it's a bit drawn-out in the first half then accelerates towards the end. Enjoyable enough without being overwhelming and not particularly dark - which makes a pleasant change nowadays.

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a basic but entertaining detective novel. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

review 2015-09-28 00:47
Well, damn...
Batman: A Death in the Family - Mike DeCarlo,Jim Starlin,Jim Aparo

So many feels.   First of all, this is pretty fucked up.   Like, Joker becomes a UN ambassador fucked up.   And for reals, that happens in this.   I mean, it was like the writers asked how gross they could make me feel, and then put all that stuff in there.

But the worst is Jason Todd's mother.   See, he thinks she's dead, but when he is given a box of mementos including his birth certificate, he realizes that it was his stepmother who was dead.   His real mother may be alive somewhere!

And, yes, there is an unnecessarily long and convoluted parallel storyline.   The storyline itself works quite well, I could just easily see them cutting half of the Batman chases the Joker storyline down and not impacting the buildup or the parts that pack the feels in here.   It also wasn't a bad storyline, in that I kept reading and I was flying through it all.

Because Jason's real mother is a total fucking bitch. Like the way she reacts to some things?   They made me feel dirty.   Super dirty.

And , hah, you were probably expecting a coherent review, when this is all flails and love.    And flails.

Because, damn, I read splatterpunk and this felt just as brutal.   Damn, damn, damn.

PS - Thank you, Troy!   I loved this.   I'm glad I took your suggestion and bought it.  You might just convert me to the point where I'm a Marvel and DC girl yet :D

review 2015-09-14 12:21
Sweet as Cane, Salty as Tears by Ken Wheaton
Sweet as Cane, Salty as Tears - Ken Wheaton

I received a free kindle copy of Sweet as Cane, Salty as Tears by Ken Wheaton, published by Open Road Integrated Media from NetGalley in Exchange for a fair review.

This is the only book I've read that referenced the city of my birth, Ville Platte, Louisiana. I found that intriguing.

I gave this incredible story five stars. I am so impressed by Ken Wheaton's skill with words. The characters are in depth, the dialogue crisp & spot on & the pace of the story is fast & entertaining.

I highly recommend this book.

review 2015-07-26 11:58
First batman graphic novel
Batman, Vol. 3: Death of the Family - Scott Snyder,Greg Capullo,Jonathan Glapion

As the title intales this was my first batman graphic novel that I have read :)

Now I read this at 3am because I woke up feeling ill and i decided before reading a novel I would have a break with a recommened comic by my comic book nerd brother.

Im so glad that I read this it was fabulous I gave it 4 stars which I thought it totally deserved now it didnt get 5 stars because joker isnt really my favourite character and this is of course all about him and I also found it a very heavy comic with a lot to take in at once with no real happy relief which I later found out is with alot of DC comic.

I dont want to compare DC to marvel but they are two completely different types of comic in their style which I think it great because I get a different reading experience when reading either company I get alot of deep detail and depth when reading DC and  when reading marvel I get a deep story line with the odd funny pun.