logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: karen
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-12-26 16:05
One Of Us Is Next by Karen McManus
One of Us Is Next - Karen M. McManus
So this was good, but not as good as I hoped it would be.
This story has us reading about the same kids. This time there is a new game to be played, though no one wants to play. Revenge is the name of the game.
I did like the twists and that I did not have a clue who was the mastermind working with the guy hosting the game. When all was revealed, I was shocked and amazed! Then a side twist made it even more shocking!
Still, the first half of the story was a little boring. I felt like it took a minute to gain momentum. And the very end felt like it sped up really fast just to get the story over with. Maybe it's me, but consitency is key.
I don't know that I would read another if this series had a book 3. It's kind of done over now. Y'know what I mean?!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2020/12/one-of-us-is-next-by-karen-mcmanus-65.html
show activity (+)
review 2020-06-25 12:02
The Secrets of Ayurveda
The Secrets of Ayurveda - Harish Chandra Verma,Gopi Warrier,Karen Sullivan

by Gopi Warrior, Dr. Harish Verma, Karen Sullivan

Non-fiction

I've been aware of Ayurveda for a while but this is the first time I sat down and read a book about it. This one is divided into four chapters: Ayurveda: The Science of Life, The Ayurdedic Approach, Diet and Lifestyle and Practitioner Led or Self-Help?

The first chapter explains what Ayurveda is and gives history and a method to determine your Ayurvedic constitution. It points out that medicine is one "spoke on the wheel" of a holistic lifestyle approach to promote balance and good health, thereby making it easier to combat illness and mostly prevent it.

It explains that illness affects both body and mind and not just one in isolation of the other. It claims that modern illnesses like chronic fatigue and irritable bowel syndrome have been successfully treated with Ayurveda when modern medicine has failed.

It has its roots in Hinduism and both date back over 5000 years, yet stay dynamic to keep up with modern conditions. There are some surprising facts cited about the history, like knowledge of cells and microscopic organisms in a book written 2000 years before the microscope was invented. There's a strong spiritual connection with the practice, yet it embraces science and finds a balance between the two.

The book is filled with colourful pictures of the sort you might see in Hindu texts or temples and these are accompanied by snippets of relevant information. Over all the book is beautifully laid out.

Naturally the Hindu belief system that Ayurveda is based in comes into it and the concept of Karma is explained in full as well as the belief in reincarnation connected with it. In some ways the book is repetitive as the basic concepts get restated many times, but I can see why it is important to drive a different way of thinking into the average western mind.

I admit to feeling some scepticism about the physical types and how it affects the person to be one or another. It seemed too generalised to me. Having said that, I fell heavily into the Kapha category. The second chapter expands on methods and the third chapter, as the title suggests, deals with diet and lifestyle. The final chapter explains when you need to see a practitioner and how to treat yourself at home.

Overall I found the book very informative and easy to follow. While I might not be in complete alignment with the beliefs expressed, they are explained well and I felt the book covered the subject very thoroughly and clearly.

show activity (+)
review 2020-05-28 13:53
The Dreamers
The Dreamers - Karen Thompson Walker

by Karen Thompson Walker

I've been caught out once again by a book written in present tense. Why, oh why is this a thing?

The story is about a strange virus that makes people fall asleep and not wake up, but remain dreaming. It was an interesting premise, but because present tense is so difficult to read I couldn't really get into the story.

Some interesting ideas in there, but it's just not for me.

review 2020-05-12 07:55
Blinded (Club Indigo #5) by Karen Nappa
Blinded (Club Indigo #5) - Karen Nappa

@Archaeolibrary, @KarenNappa, #BDSM, #Erotic, #Contemporary, #Romance, 4 out of 5 (very good)

Blinded is the fifth book in the Club Indigo series and we start off with our main male character having to have PT due to a climbing accident. Sandra, our PT, is determined to help this grumpy patient and then have absolutely nothing to do with him. The only trouble is, he's a member of the Club Indigo, the same as she is, and he is a master of the ropes, which is something she wants to do more. Sandra has her baggage to contend with and GT has more than few walls to knock down.

This was a great addition to the series. Like with the others, I would say you could read it as a standalone but to get the most out of it, I would recommend reading them in order. Characters from previous books are mentioned so I found it helpful to have read their story first.

I loved how Karen Nappa managed to intertwine Sandra's relationship with her mother (dysfunctional, people!!!) with her budding relationship with GT. I found her fears and concerns completely relatable and, as someone who also shuts down and runs away rather than have a confrontation, I found her reactions to be completely realistic. The Colour Run sounded like so much fun but I would have killed GT for his "little surprise."

Source: archaeolibrarian.wixsite.com/website/post/blinded-club-indigo-5-by-karen-nappa
review 2020-05-05 15:23
One Of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus
One of Us Is Lying - Karen M. McManus

I loved this book!!! So you take a ride on a mystery train through Whodunnitville. At times you think you know who the real culprit is, and in the end it turned out I was right, but not before a few twists and turns along the way. I loved these four characters who were under investigation. Nate, the bad boy who turns out to not be so bad. Addy, the girl who earns her place as one of my favorites in the story. Cooper, the jock you love instead of hate. Then Bronwyn. The smartest girl around. Now I want more!! I'm off to purchase an ecopy of One Of Us Is Next.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2020/05/one-of-us-is-lying-by-karen-mcmanus-25.html