logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: kindergarten
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-06-06 16:38
The King of Kindergarten - Derrick Barnes

For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

An absolutely stunning book about the first day of kindergarten. I really liked the emphasis on confidence and enjoying the experience. Understandably many children's books on this topic focus on the more negative aspects of fear, worry, and anxiety. This was a fresh perspective of tackling the day as the King of Kindergarten and just having fun.

Wonderfully creative concept. The parallels between kindergarten and royal life were fantastic (sun behind head like crown, yellow carriage that takes the children to a grand fortress) and the similes used were fantastic.

Also, the artwork is absolutely beautiful. The bright colors play well into the themes of confidence and fun. I really enjoyed the cute style of the illustrations.

A wonderful, uplifting read that can even inspire confidence and bravery in the adults who read it.

review 2019-02-03 22:29
School Shoes
Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes - Eric Litwin,James Dean

Review:

Pete the Cat is Rockin' in his school shoes. He loves his new shoes and he wears them every where. To the lunch room, the library, and even the cafeteria. No matter where he goes at school he always sings his songs about his school shoes.

Leveling System:

Lexile AD430L

Classroom Activity:

I would use this book to encourage new students to like school. All kids will be nervous on their first day of school. Reading this book and showing them how much fun it can be, even if just having new shoes encourages you, with meeting new friends and going new places. We would use this as an encouragement for every student. We would also use this book to learn new sight words.

review 2019-02-03 02:43
What do you see?
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? - Eric Carle,Bill Martin Jr.

Review:

This book has such a singsong text to it. This book, in my opinion, was created perfectly for students who need a fun way to learn their colors. This book give children an image they can place in their head to relate colors too. Imagine being able to remember that the horse was blue and recognizing the color blue.

Leveling System:

Lexile AD200L

Classroom Activity:

I would use this book as a review of colors coming into kindergarten. I would do some painting activities with the students. We would do things such as painting a horse blue. We would also create a fun bear mask for the students to take home with them. We would also have a class discussion on how the majority of the animals in this book are not that color in real life and that the book is just for fun.

review 2019-02-02 15:02
Mrs. Thomas' Booklike pick
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin Jr.,John Archambault,Lois Ehlert

All of the letters are climbing up to the top of the coconut tree, but it starts to get extremely heavy! The whole alphabet made it up, but the tree starts to lean. Oh no, what will happen next?

Lexile Measure: AD530L

I would use this book along with with an activity where the students would put the letters of their name in the coconut tree and have a small writing activity at the bottom where they fill in My name is ________ and I have _____ letters in my name.

review 2019-02-02 02:40
Mrs. Thomas' Favorite Books
The Day the Crayons Quit - Drew Daywalt,Oliver Jeffers

Duncan just wants to color, but when he opens his box of crayons, he finds only letters.  The letters are hilarious and from his crayons. They all quit! Duncan finds a solution for them all to be happy.

Lexile Measure: AD730L

I would use this in the classroom with a writing/coloring activity. There would be pictures of all of the crayons and the students would trace the names of each color and then color the crayon the correct color.