logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: loved-it
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-09-19 15:29
The Prince Who Loved Me (Just Add Peaches #3) by Abigail Sharpe
The Prince Who Loved Me (Just Add Peaches #3) - Abigail Sharpe

The Prince Who Loved Me by Abigail Sharpe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sharpe brings the childhood fantasy to life in the most adult of ways. Brandi and Sebastien are a fairytale in progress hoping to find a happy ending. Their quest is as emotional as it is funny, but what a ride it is. The Prince who Loved Me has heart. What more can any romantic ask for?

review 2020-07-25 02:24
The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin
The City of Mirrors: A Novel (Book Three of The Passage Trilogy) - Justin Cronin

This final book in the series was just as good as the rest. An amazing story that I was sorry to see come to an end. I love the way everything tied together in a period of time that lasted over a thousand years!

After reading the whole thing, I watched The Passage tv show (it aired on FOX last year and was cancelled). It was ok. They changed a lot but I can see why. At the end of the series, they moved forward in time just like the book and were going to start where book 2 begins (I think). It could have been amazing... but it would never have compared to the books. :)

review 2020-07-01 15:00

Page Count: 143 pages

Source: Own copy

Date Read: June 27-28, 2020

Review

This story was in originally published as an Audible Original.

Trinity Jordan is a data analyst on temporary hiatus from her job and is working at another job within the company (The Hive) as a driver for self-driving cars (Uber but through the computer simulation). She is also living in the company's apartment complex, complete with home A.I. named Penny (think of an apartment complex version of an Echo or Alexis). There are her two best friends, Ru and Yana who also work at The Hive and her neighbor, Dr. Zheng and her nephew Li Wei (who is our hero). It is six months since the terrorist attack that injured Trinity and left her too shaken up to work her job. When Li Wei meets Trinity, it starts the re-downloading of memories of the attack and the few weeks prior to the attack - yep, Li Wei is the A.I. Trinity and Li Wei spend time together in the hopes of getting Li Wei well versed in humans. Meanwhile Trinity's memory is starting to falter and some memories are coming back while others are fading. Li Wei remembers enough to realize that The Hive is trying to 1) keep them apart and 2) doing experiments on them. So they remember enough to escape with the help of Ru, Penny, and Yana (oh, and TIM).

Once again Alyssa Cole put together a fun and inventive romance that just is different from the rest of the genre. There is talk of racism, capitalism, sexism, etc that make this sci-fi romance feel very contemporary and now. The science fiction part is very relatable and not so far out for those of us not so versed in high concept sci-fi. Perfect poolside reading.

review 2020-05-02 07:01
Loved You Once (The Baker’s Creek Billionaire Brothers #1) by: Claudia Burgoa
Loved You Once (The Baker’s Creek Billionaire Brothers #1) - Claudia Burgoa

Another sad love song finds the heart to be happy. Loved You Once is a tale of battered emotions, bruised egos and finding the courage to fight heartache back from the brink of despair. Hayes and Blair are one regret short of a happy ending. Will they have the courage to turn what if, into forever after romance? Burgoa dares to be vulnerable. Blair and Hayes are perfectly, flawed. Haunted by the past. Fearful of the future and hopeful in the present. Burgoa and her characters are a beautiful kind of mess that speaks to the deepest recesses of a heart and inspires it to take a chance on love.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2020-05-01 14:21
Review: Watchers
Watchers - Dean Koontz

So my first experience with this story is the Corey from the late 80s early 90s. I loved it and when I realized it was based on a novel it was immediately added to my TBR.  I listened to the audiobook version and the narrator brought Fur Face to life. And yes, I realize his name is Einstein, but he was Fur Face in the movie and will always be that for me.  The performance was excellent. I could really picture everything thing happening and I felt the emotion of the situations.

So Fur Face is a genetically engineered golden retriever that escapes the lab he was created in.  He finds his way to Travis who is a lonely man at the end of his rope. He's not quite suicidal, but he's pretty much given up on life.  Fur Face is just what he needs to bring him back to life, especially when the dog reveals his human-like intelligence.  Travis instantly falls in love with Fur Face.  Travis now has a companion to love and care for, and Fur Face gets the same on top of having freedom from the tests and cage he was in at the lab.

Fur Face leads Travis to Nora, a woman who was raised almost entirely by her miserable, horrible aunt.  She never went to school or had friends, her life was completely controlled by her aunt until the woman's death.  While Nora is attempting to learn how to live a life free of her aunt, she is targeted by a creepy man who wants to control and use her until he's had his fill.  Fur Face leads Travis to her and together they rescue her from the horrible man.  The two develop a friendship that eventually develops into love.

Together Travis and Nora discover just how intelligent Fur Face actually is and create a means of communication. They learn about his past and that he was not the only experiment that escaped the lab.  The Outsider is an abomination that has a deep hatred for Fur Face. Somehow they are bonded and can sense other another.  The Outside is searching for Fur Face because he wants to destroy him.  And then there's the  problem of the NSA and a hired hitman on Fur Face's trail.

The trio go on the run getting far enough away to give them time for The Outsider eventually finding them.  They have a final battle where the Outsider nearly kills Fur Face, and Travis kills both the hitman and The Outsider.

This is so ridiculously well written I could literally listen to the audiobook all over again.  I felt the emotions and humanity in Fur Face, but also you felt empathy for the Outsider. He was created to be a monster, a killing machine.  He grew to hate himself for being an ugly monster and his hatred toward Fur Face was really his envy at being the beloved child while The Outsider was clearly feared and even hated.  In the end I felt for the Outsider and wished that he could have been saved.  His death was actually very sad.

I enjoy the heck out of this book. It was excellent from start to finish. I felt completely satisfied with the ending.  I don't know why anyone would need a sequel. Travis and Nora lived happily ever after. And Fur Face lived, got a mate of his own and had children.  What more was needed?