logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: modern-classic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-03-04 09:17
A tale of abuse and limited freedom
The Vet's Daughter: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC) - Barbara Comyns,Jane Gardam

My tutor recommended I read this when he read the proposal for my end of module assignment. My story is about losing a parent and reevaluating that and other relationships, but it has a magical realism slant. The reason for recommending this book, he said, was that this is a very straight story that suddenly becomes supernatural at the end. Having read it I suspect his memory of the tale is flawed.

The Vet's Daughter is a tale of a young woman who is stuck in a very unhealthy situation, or rather a series of unhealthy situations, with no means to escape. Her father is abusive to the point that she fears he will one day kill her. Her mother becomes very ill and dies early in the book and her father brings a housekeeper/mistress into the house (home implies a safe place). The mistress is manipulative and frequently nasty to Alice (the first person narrator), but the most unforgivable thing she does is

when she attempts to sell the young woman's virginity. This isn't said explicitly, but it is the only explanation that makes sense.

Between the harrowing nature of Alice's days she finds peace in moments of levitation, that she suspects everyone experiences but never talks about. This freedom is short lived and eventually leads to a tragic end.

(spoiler show)

It's evocatively written and a powerful read.

review 2020-01-05 18:52
Vain Shadow
Vain Shadow - Jane Hervey

The premise for this book is a simple one: the patriarch of a rich family dies and his children gather on the country estate to deal with the aftermath of the fathers death.

The book is told in four chapters, each chapter spanning over a day leading up to the burial. Within the chapters we jump between the characters and get a glimpse of their inner thoughts and their lives. And Jane Hervey really does a good job in giving each of her characters a distinct voice and personality.

However, this book is supposed to be comedic and unfortunately, I didn´t find it funny at all. So this book didn´t quite hit the mark for me in that respect and the story wasn´t a suprising one. So in the end, this was an okay read for me.

review 2017-04-05 18:37
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day - Winifred Watson

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day is the perfect book when you are feeling down and you just need something light, fun and charming to read. Even though this book hasn´t the most intricate plot, it kept me entertained for at least a few hours.

I have to admit, I could have done without the few racist comments and the message that a woman needs a man in her life to survive in the world. But since this book is written in the late 1930s and the book has a dated feel about it, I haven´t been too annoyed by it.

review 2017-03-08 14:45
Chocky
Chocky - John Wyndham

Chocky tells the story of 12 year old boy, who all of a sudden has an imagenary friend. His parents have to deal with these changed circumstances and they have to ask themselves, if their son is turning mad or if he is possessed by some foreign entity.

My second Wyndham and as much as I loved The Day of the Triffids, I didn´t like Chocky. I couldn´t stand these horrible do-gooder parents (the mother is a stereotypical 1960s housewife and the father a condescending jerk) and I was totally unimpressed by the ending. 150 pages of boredom and a plot like molasses. A huge disappointment.

review 2017-03-05 21:16
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Tennessee Williams

A Mississippi plantation on a sultry evening and a dysfunctional family with all its secrets and untold truths. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is one of these plays that I would much rather have watched on the stage than have read it, because I imagine it must be even more powerful while being performed on a stage.

The big strenght of this play doesn´t lie in discovering the family secrets, although it deals with a controversial topic (the play is set in the 1950s).

Homosexuality

(spoiler show)

It´s much more about the way the characters deal with these problems and how they behave towards each other during this crises. My favorite part of the play is the dialogue between Brick and his father Big Daddy, which is absolutely mesmerizing, spellbinding and which will change your perception of the characters.

I loved reading this play and since I won´t be able to watch it in a theater, I have to watch the movie adaption.

Maudit elizabeth taylor cat on a hot tin roof richard brooks making a fool of myself

[Source]