logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: mystery-and-thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-09-25 07:29
The Hiding Place by C.J. Tudor
The Hiding Place - C.J. Tudor,Richard Armitage

Creepy, well told story with a smattering of paranormal. Lovely narration by Richard Armitage.

review 2020-05-28 20:52
A Scandal in Bohemia ★★★☆☆
A Scandal in Bohemia - Arthur Conan Doyle

I appreciate the intrigue, and that Holmes was actually a little delighted that he was outsmarted (and out-acted) by a woman, but I'm a little puzzled as to why the Grand Duke insists that a woman who has been blackmailing him is a "woman of her word" and won't expose him now.

Audiobook, part of the enormous Audible "Sherlock Holmes" compilation of works read by Stephen Fry. I'm slowly working my way through it. I'll be listening to the rest of the short stories in "Adventures of" later.

review 2020-05-24 14:41
The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim ★★★★★
The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim (A short story) - Agatha Christie

Although I am really just getting to know him, I think M. Poirot may be at his best in short-story form. I love everything about him, from his arrogance to his insistence of the use of his little gray cells to his mustaches. And the solutions to his mysteries are almost always a surprise but are never, ever a cheat.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive. Sad as I was that Hugh Fraser wasn't narrating this, David Suchet nevertheless did a fine job.

review 2020-05-18 15:42
Blindsighted ★★★☆☆
Blindsighted - Karin Slaughter

I was initially disappointed with this book. The first couple of chapters had that sort of clumsy and obvious Romance trope of two lovers who had ended things badly but still longed for one another, and I really dislike Romance genre mixed into my mystery-thriller genre. But before long I was thoroughly engrossed in the story and the characters, so much so that I couldn't muster more than an occasional eye-roll for the terribly implausible medical stuff.

It was good! It kept me on the edge of my seat to the very end, even though the plot twist wasn't very twisty. I'm sorry, I realize I'm not making this book sound very good, and objectively I guess there was a lot to complain about, but the author's strength as a storyteller somehow overcomes all those things. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

Audiobook via Audible, read by Kathleen Early. She's read almost all the other Slaughter books I've listened to, and I've enjoyed her performances, but for some reason she seemed a little stilted on this one. But I did like it! I don't know why.

review 2020-05-15 12:16
A Man Lay Dead
A Man Lay Dead - Ngaio Marsh

The first "Inspector Alleyn" mystery and I´m glad that this isn´t the first one I´ve read by Marsh. Because this book isn´t that good.

The plot is a simple one. During a house party a man dies and one of the house guests must be the murderer.

Enter Inspector Alleyn ... or someone, who is supposed to be him, because I didn´t get the impression that this Inspector is the same one as the one in "Scales of Justice". I really disliked Inspector Alleyn in his first outing. And I´m not alone. The majority of the characters in the book disliked him as well at some point or another.

The plot was meh and the whole modus operandi of the murder and how Alleyn figured it out didn´t make a whole lot of sense. And what was the purpose of this weird Russian brotherhood sub plot?

I did like the atmosphere of Marsh´s writing, though, and the setting of a country house with a small group of suspects is one of my favorites.

But overall this book fell flat for me. Definitely not a favorite of mine when it comes to golden age mysteries.