logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: parody
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-08-06 18:14
Goodnight Zoom
Goodnight Zoom: A Pandemic Parody - Andy Ankowski

Many of you will be able to connect with this adult spin-off of the beloved Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown, as we each try to manage the coronavirus in our own homes.  The room becomes command-center, hosting a variety of items the family needs now that they are stationed at home.  A mask, delivery boxes, and work stations for everyone in the home including one with Zoom online are just a few of the items that are scattered around the room.

Some of the subject matter is not for younger readers but that’s my own opinion. It’s a creative, entertaining story with entertaining illustrations that’ll put a smile on your face. An enjoyable book for older readers. 4.5 stars

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.  Thank you.

review 2018-10-19 22:07
HOPE NEVER DIES by Andrew Shaffer
Hope Never Dies - Andrew Shaffer
This parody of cozy mysteries is told from Joe Biden's point-of-view as he and Barack Obama chase down a killer.  I loved it!  I laughed so hard at times.  Suspend belief but you have to read it.  It was so much fun.

I liked the characters.  Watching them solve the crime is a scream.  I liked how they view the current happenings in D.C.  I felt bad when Joe had to change some of his idealistic beliefs about others.  I hope there are more in this series.  I adored it.
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-08-07 15:03
Review: Anita Blake- Serpentine

A brief note: I submitted this to Amazon literally at 3:12 AM this morning and it just went through 10 minutes ago- obviously to give all the Verified Purchase reviews exposure first. So, if you're of a mind, I'd appreciate a little voting help to push it up the list.  Thanks.

I hadn’t read the last two books… actually I stopped reading the last two books about 20% in because I completely lost interest in them that fast- so when the chance arose at an early copy of this one I figured: what the hell, maybe there’s been some changes and improvement.  Maybe there’s been some actual developments, revelations and repercussions from these character choices and events.

Let’s put it this way: No.

Remember all the buildup for the plot of Bullet?  That assassins were gunning for Anita and the crew, and even Belle Morte was high-tailing it as fast as she could, only for the book to be about everything else but assassins?  How a story featuring cold blooded killers only dedicated about 19 PAGES right smack in the middle to said murderers? How the synopsis ended up getting revised because turns out there were virtually no assassins in the book, and would’ve been false advertising to keep saying it was all about them?   Well, if that was your gold standard for storytelling, if that muck thrilled you to the stars and back- boy, has Laurell got a story for you now!

I’ll give her credit; it took some serious gall to write this.  She had a lotta nerve pulling this again.   In a 500 page book about cursed snake people, they get mentioned in the beginning, referred to in the middle-ish and never brought up again until the finale.  Take one guess what’s on the rest of the dead trees sacrificed for this drek.  You got it: relationships and all the baggage they come with!

*** Mini-Spoilers Ahead***

There ain’t a K-Drama in the world that can hold a candle to this!  It’s everything all the other Anita Blake books have given you the past fifteen years, yet somehow less.  The paint by numbers scenes of gratuitous boob/crotch flashing, jellus haterz who deep down want to be just like Anita, hawt zexxy zex with the sweeties, fifty pages to leave town, forty pages to get to the hotel from the airport, recycled & rehashed pissing contests with cops, identifying friends from enemies by their boob size and curves, bad guys who suddenly can’t function without literally giving themselves away, rushed & compressed ending with tons of exposition in order to get back to the real story- troo wuv with the boyz.  It’s all there, y’all!  Knock yourselves out… or at least get a friend to do it.  Not so messy that way.

The one real surprise is the return of a character we hadn’t seen in a while- Olaf.  And despite being as boring and repetitive as everyone else, still manages to be creepy and somehow able to sneak a bit into Anita’s good graces.  In hindsight, an appearance from him is overdue but under the circumstances you wouldn’t expect him to be there, which makes the reason for his being there utterly contrived.  But given the implausibility of everything else, why the heck not?  Toss in Bernardo Spotted-Horse and it makes for a reunion of the Four Horsemen, which could’ve been a tour de force, but instead plays like an investigation by Scooby-Doo & the gang. Because, yeah- the baddie would’ve gotten away with it if it weren’t for those meddling U.S. Marshals and their were-buddies.

By the time Hamilton returns to the supposed mystery/curse to solve, you flat out won’t give a flip because it hasn’t mattered in so long you forgot all about it.  Far more important are the sudden appearance of Donna’s jellusy about Anita’s special bond with Edward, Donna’s BFF Dixie’s seething jellusy about the wedding, the cadre of bimbos jellus about Anita’s men, Olaf’s jellusy about Anita boitois… you might be sensing a theme here.  Jellusy even has a place in the motives of the bad guy- go figure!

Another theme is Hamilton’s ridiculous fixation with superhero metaphors.  Man, did she just love comparing Edward/Ted to Batman/Bruce Wayne; even Superman/Clark Kent a few times just to mix things up a bit.

No LKH novel would be complete without the sheer idiocy that’s Anita & Co- in both the classic and contemporary sense of the word.  Early on they ask a particular character if they know anything about the snake curse; they deny it, only to discover in the end just how much they did know.  Why such pertinent info was withheld is neither explained nor explored- just tossed in to avoid thinking something else up.

In the midst of an investigation into some missing women, Anita & co. come in contact with someone who’s obviously tied to the disappearances, but just plain fail to alert anyone about this in time to prevent other problems.  Why?  Why ask why.

There’s really not a lot to say about Serpentine-all the endless inanity, vapidity, vulgarity, insanity, mendacity, fragility…  It’s just plain bad, lazy, dull, self-indulgent, writing.  The usual, but somehow worse.

Sorry for the lack of snark.  But I got nothing for this thing.

review 2018-02-05 15:38
If on a winter's night a traveler
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - William Weaver,Italo Calvino

An exercise in parody

You are about to read அரவிந்தாக்க்ஷன review of calvino’s work. Ask your people not to call you for any reason whatsoever for next few minutes.
You are reading this since Calvino’s work interest you. You have read all his other works except this. You have read about it Somewhere vaguely, so you ought to find what I have to say about it or rather I have been pestering you to read it by sending u a link of my review for past few days.

At this point, you get bored that I have not said anything about the work. Somewhere in your mind, there is a mild thought that I may say something about this work at the 119th word of this post.

But you are mistaken to find and let down that I have still not said anything worthwhile.

Just when u think I am going to say something about calvino’s work you are called by someone in your house and you throw your mobile which refreshes the facebook page in a rare instance or in a fit of alarm you close your PC’s window.
You return to your device and continue reading this review, but you find you are reading some other book’s review by someone else.

You read first few sentences and have formed a liking for this new book not connected to அரவிந்தாக்க்ஷன் review.

Before this happens you have informed your friend ( who takes interest in Indian languages ) about finding my Tamil name in facebook and sending my profile link.

The person to whom this has been assigned is a person who considers himself a polyglot, but he is a more of a novelty seeker than a serious learner of languages. He Learns a bit in one language and switches to some other Language, after the initial high recedes. So goes his routine of language seeking.

So the person tries to find the keys in his google keyboard and mistakenly believes his strength in knowledge of Tamil rather than using Google’s English translator to Tamil equivalent. So the person comes up with ரவி கிரண் in place of அரவிந்தாக்க்ஷன், sends the same to you.

You, when the message pops, stop reading the current review and checks the profile and confirms by the photo that it’s the same person and returns to the review of which you have been reading and finds the review to be quite different suddenly. Actually, the writer of the review at this point discusses the subplot of the work he is reviewing. It takes a while for you to understand this and finally you find this is a book by the same author calvino which you haven’t read already, called “Outside the Town of Malbrok”.

You are sad, but comes back to this ரவி கிரண் review to read the rest of the review, which you think அரவிந்தாக்க்ஷன் has written and find it completely a new book, but again by calvino, called “learning from the steep slope”.

This has made you further sad, you thought you have read everything by calvino except his “If on a winter’s night traveler”.

Just while this goes in your head you notice that this is not Aravindakshan’s profile, his profile photo was different and also, a simple common sense strikes you. How could he write a review other than if on a winter night’s a traveler ?

You confirm that this is not Aravindakshan’s profile by scrolling further in Ravi kiran’s profile and not finding Calvino’s “if on a winter night’s a traveler” review. Perhaps a double!(?), you think, since the face resembles Aravindakshan.

Now, you try to reorder your thoughts and your memory for a minute, slowly and understands it all started when u read அரவிந்தாக்க்ஷன் review of Italo calvino’s “if on a winter’s night a traveler”.

Actually, the truth was, your liking for the second review, is in a way as a connection to the review of the first which you have not yet sensed, both which in turn is connected to Ravi kiran’s review.

Since it was all started by the first reviewer you scroll to find his review again to see whether he has finally said anything about the book at the “god knows what word by now”.
You couldn’t find it. The post is lost amidst the sea of posts churned out on facebook.

You ask your friend to check whether he as turned up with the right profile. Even though it has hurt his ego he checks and realise his mistake but while clarifying to you, he points the mistake to the linguistic peculiarity of Tamil rather than accept his own mistake.
With the new exact Tamil words for Aravindakshan, you search
Facebook, but it says the profile cannot be found

Aravindakshan meanwhile, after clicking the share button lost his interest in virtual life and once for all decided to do away with all this virtual imagery.

You try to check Ravi kiran’s review which couldn’t be found either since the owner of both Profiles is created by a person called Srivatsan and he has deactivated both the accounts.

You feel lost. He has set the wheel in motion and now he has vanished. You return to the other reviewer’s post(the unnamed reviewer) to find the connection between the two reviews to his. You stretch your memory to think of the earlier reviews and place this other review to form a whole but you cannot do, since this reviewer at the end of his review points to another review, which he says the book’s plot is mainly centered on.
It reads a review of Calvino’s “without fear of wind or vertigo” by Gullu.

You are tired, but you still follow the trail of reviews centered on Calvino. You are half way at Gullu’s review, by then you are sure that all the review is of a different story, separate books, but from the same author.
You feel salty by all this and also thirsty. You feel it whenever you read something for too long without any proper direction.

You feel betrayed by the author because you were thinking he was the only author you have read extensively.
Now it’s all a dream, he has been writing in private and holding all the books from the public but to his own favorite readers and you are not one of that favoured readers.
You sleep dejected and cry the whole night.

Now, Aravindakshan having started this act of knotting this textual thread has been lost in the maze of his own and struggles to get out and finish this. In effect, understands the greatness and difficulty in writing a piece such as this. Comes out appreciating Calvino’s Magnum opus further, even though he did feel boring in the middle of the book.

But the story doesn’t end here. Aravindakshan or ravi kiran or Srivatsan reactivates his fb again in some days as is always the case and sends you, being a dear friend of his, this review, with a line saying it’s a classic by Calvino.
I leave it to you how you might have reacted.

Post factum :
You decide to buy “if on a winter’s night a traveler” to prove Aravindakshan how better admirer you are of Calvino's work and find these separate titles are all from the same book to your surprise, relief. You feel it’s more dizzying and original than most post-modern lit.

Post scriptum :
It was later found that the unnamed reviewer above is a profile named Preethy sweety chicy which is one of Aravindakshan’s hidden profile to befriend female profiles, Rather sheepish act you say, I concur with you.

why he didn’t deactivate all of his profiles including Gullu’s is a question that is still unanswered and whether this hints at something about the Calvino's book is a matter of serious discussion among this review readers.

Originally posted at my blog: https://diffusedmode.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/book-review-if-on-a-winters-night-a-traveler/

Source: diffusedmode.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/book-review-if-on-a-winters-night-a-traveler
review 2018-01-28 17:06
Dr. Suess Does Die Hard by The Single Screenwriter

Hilarious!
The movie was broke down into forty something rhyming pages, and it was good. Although I can't get any info on the writer, he did one helluva good job parodying one of the best action films of all time.
The whole book took like 3 minutes to read though. He should've incorporated the second and third films as well. Still it was a fun read. Yippee-ki-yay!

3.5/5