logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: persephone-books
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2020-01-05 18:52
Vain Shadow
Vain Shadow - Jane Hervey

The premise for this book is a simple one: the patriarch of a rich family dies and his children gather on the country estate to deal with the aftermath of the fathers death.

The book is told in four chapters, each chapter spanning over a day leading up to the burial. Within the chapters we jump between the characters and get a glimpse of their inner thoughts and their lives. And Jane Hervey really does a good job in giving each of her characters a distinct voice and personality.

However, this book is supposed to be comedic and unfortunately, I didn´t find it funny at all. So this book didn´t quite hit the mark for me in that respect and the story wasn´t a suprising one. So in the end, this was an okay read for me.

Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2017-04-05 18:37
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day - Winifred Watson

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day is the perfect book when you are feeling down and you just need something light, fun and charming to read. Even though this book hasn´t the most intricate plot, it kept me entertained for at least a few hours.

I have to admit, I could have done without the few racist comments and the message that a woman needs a man in her life to survive in the world. But since this book is written in the late 1930s and the book has a dated feel about it, I haven´t been too annoyed by it.