logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: podcast
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-01 23:04
Sadie by Courtney Summers
Sadie - Courtney Summers

Trigger Warning: pedophilia, sexual abuse, drug addiction. All I can say is a book you would want to go into carefully if you are triggered by disturbing content.

***

I'm not a parent, but this was hard for me to read; of course, my mind was on my nieces and the other children I know, and children/people who have gone missing/murdered in general. I've always had an interest in True Crime; because I feel like no matter how long it has been, crimes need to be solved, justice needs to be served and friends and family need closure.

So many people get forgotten about or fall through the cracks and never reported missing in the first place. People who talk about True Crime topics keeps victims names out there so that we won't forget about them.

This book was hard to read. It was so real. So raw. I enjoyed the way it was written. It had me on the edge of my seat. Listening and reading at the same time really enhanced the experience, because half of this is in podcast format.

The ending made me cry. I can't even imagine living the horrors in this book. Mattie's murder, what Sadie, Mattie, and the other girls experienced at the hands of

"Keith"

(spoiler show)

and others like him, and the grief of a parent when they find out what happened to their child.

review 2018-02-16 18:27
Am I a vampire or just super anemic?
The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures - Aaron Mahnke

Only as I'm reviewing these books do I realize just how many 'scary' books I read at the end of last year (and how many more I've just now added to my TRL). That's how you know that I'm a 'whatever I feel like reading' reader/'I'm interested in this topic for the next 3 books and then I'm going to wildly change interests' reader. [A/N: I couldn't remember the term 'mood reader' to save my life when I was originally drafting this post. I chose to leave that crazy line in there because it cracks me up.] All of this is to set up today's book which is The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures by Aaron Mahnke. I saw an ad for this in a subway station and it wasn't the title that caught my eye but the author. I had been an avid listener of his podcast (named Lore unsurprisingly) last year and then as is my way (especially with podcasts) I had totally forgotten about it. Once I started reading the book I realized that it was essentially composed of transcripts from his podcast episodes. (Guess it's a good thing I didn't listen to all of them.) The book is broken down into categories about different creatures from folklore. Two examples: vampires and zombies. Vampires could have been created because of a disease whereby people were pale, sensitive to sunlight, and craved blood. (And then there was Vlad the Impaler who is perhaps the most well-known nightwalker. (Quick note: Nightwalker is not a cool name for a vampire like I had originally thought but I'm gonna just pretend that it is cause it's better than repeating the word vampire ad nauseum.)) Zombies were most likely inspired by victims of tuberculosis (the living dead) and the large numbers of people who were pronounced dead then subsequently rose from their graves. (This is a real thing and will perhaps explain why more people choose cremation these days.) Mahnke also discusses the history of hauntings and the popularity of the spirtualist movement among many other topics of the supernatural. He has a way of simultaneously debunking these theories while giving the impression that we should still remain open-minded. It's an interesting read especially if you haven't really delved too deep into this subject area and you want to get the rundown. 8/10

Monstrous Creatures is the first in a planned trilogy and I think there's also a tv show in the works. I guess I'm not the only one interested in the supernatural. ;-)

What's Up Next: Soonish by Kelly Weinersmith

What I'm Currently Reading: Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2016-11-19 09:13
True love
True Crime: M/M Gay Romance (Drop Dead Book 1) - Peter Styles

George AKA "Geo" and his best friend Alex AKA "Lex" are well known for their podcast about True Crime.  It has humor, and talks about things others do not like to discuss.  Many family members are not good about it - and dating?  Forget it.

Lex and Geo have never met.  They talk every day, and their friendship is solid.  Others find this weird, of course.  No one really understands these two but them.  Love must come next, right?

Sincere and sweet in so many ways.  This story made me laugh, cry and just all around feel.  I loved it and I look forward to more books in the Drop Dead series and about these characters.  I give this story a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book.

review 2016-09-26 17:28
Borrasca by C.K. Walker
Borrasca - C.K. Walker

photo scarywomen_zps1nlcem5f.jpg

I'm using this one for my Scary Women Authors square.

I just realized that I have never reviewed a NoSleep production. That's going to have to change because they are doing some amazing work and I need to stop keeping them all to myself. I listen to a ton of podcasts but this is the one I look forward to every Sunday morning when I'm making breakfast or cleaning up someone's mess.

Borrasca is a longer story than typically found on the podcast. You can find it by checking out NoSleep S7 E25. You can also read it on reddit but I recommend you listen to the full cast audio production. It is fantastic.

“This story is about a place that dwells on the mountain; a place where bad things happen. And you may think you know about the bad things, you may decide you have it all figured out but you don’t. Because the truth is worse than monsters or men.”

When 9 year old Sam’s dad is reassigned to a new location as sheriff, for some never said wrong-doing, he packs up the family and relocates them to a sleepy little town in the Ozarks. Sam makes two new best friends who tell him all about the local legend they call “Borrasca”. Apparently, every now and again people hear screams in the woods and blame it on Borrasca. There’s also a weird treehouse that requires a certain ceremony to enter and leave . . . alive.

"Underneath the Triple Tree there is a man who waits for me and should I go or should I stay my fate’s the same either way.”

A few years later Sam’s older sister goes missing and he just knows, is absolutely certain, that she performed the ceremony incorrectly (or not at all) and hasn’t run away but has become the next victim of Borrasca. His dad, who is still the sheriff by the way, doesn’t believe him nor does he seem overly concerned that his daughter is missing. Perhaps she was just too annoying or maybe he’s hiding something . . .

More time passes, more teen girls go missing and very little is done about it by anyone except for Sam and his friend Kyle who have to do their own research. In a longer book, this likely would’ve annoyed me but that’s the joy of the short story format, there’s no time to ponder and get all worked up over plot points that seem to make no sense at all. When the secret is revealed, everything that happens prior; the strange conversations and the odd behavior of the adults, make all kinds of sense. It’s a dark, disturbing, horrible secret and not one I saw coming. This story may require a reread to catch everything said and done but I don’t know if I can bear it honestly. That ending, ewwww!

photo halloween BINGO update4_zpsddljxmn6.jpg

review 2015-12-04 23:08
Do you podcast?
Welcome to Night Vale: A Novel - Jeffrey Cranor,Joseph Fink

Is podcast a verb or just a noun? I have no idea but I do know that after reading Welcome to Night Vale by Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink that I'm likely to check out their podcast of the same name. (If you're interested in checking out the podcast before reading the book then you can go here and start from the beginning.) I had heard about this podcast and the book through the devoted community on Twitter and Tumblr. (I listened to a bit of the podcast but I have a problem committing to podcasts so I picked up the book instead.) It was strange right off of the bat but it was a good kind of strange. Anyone who has read a really intense sci-fi novel will understand the feeling that they have somehow missed a step and landed someplace entirely new. That's what this book is like. I get now why there is such a passionate fandom surrounding this desert community and its inhabitants. Where else could you read about a place where it's perfectly natural to open doors with a blood offering? If your son was a shapeshifter would you just shrug and say he was trying to find himself? Are those helicopters above your house a nuisance or a comfort? For the citizens of Night Vale the answers to these questions are no-brainers. The two main characters, Diane and Jackie, are two polar opposites who suddenly find themselves working toward the same goal.: King City. It's a weird tale of self-discovery and what it truly means to belong. ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD.

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com