logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: poem
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-20 20:37
ROOM ON THE BROOM by Julia Donaldson
Room on the Broom - Axel Scheffler,Julia Donaldson

Cute story of a witch on her broom with a lot of hitchhikers.  The rhyming poem is wonderful.  It was longer than I expected of a board book but adorable.

review 2019-08-20 19:06
Unique concept combined with beautiful illustrations
Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reverso Poems (Reverso Poems) - Marilyn Singer,Josée Masse

Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reverso Poems by Marilyn Singer with pictures by Josee Masse contains reverso poetry based on fairy tales which when read in one direction tells one story (and from one POV) but when read in reverse is a wholly different story. An example would be Cinderella’s story on one page and the stepsister's tale on the other page. The illustrations were truly excellent and the concept unique (and well executed) but as I had hoped to use this as a readaloud it didn't quite hit the mark for me. This is more of a singular reading experience or one-to-one with just one child. 6/10

What's Up Next: Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder by Jo Nesbo with pictures by Mike Lowery (translated from the Swedish by Tara F. Chace)

What I'm Currently Reading: The Star Diaries by Stanislaw Lem

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
show activity (+)
review 2019-01-20 16:24
A Long Slog Through Icy Lands
The Kalevala: An Epic Poem after Oral Tradition (World's Classics) - Elias Lönnrot,Keith Bosley

I will write a thing and

Declare what I have done

I have read the Kalevala

49 cantos I have read

50 was the number of the cantos

My Mother spoke a thing and declared thus

“You cannot read the Kalevala” she said

“Such a reading is not for you.

Read the books of your home.

Not old tales of northern lands.”

I replied to her and spoke thus, I said

“I will read the Kalevala,

The great epic of Finland.

I will read the words off the pages,

Read the pages out of the book.”

I read one page, I read two pages.

I read steady old Vainamoinen

Old man of calm waters.

I read wanton Lemminkainen

Him the Fair Farmind.

I read the forging of the Sampo

By the smith Ilmarinen

The everlasting craftsman.

All the way to Marjatta

And the birth of her child

My Mother put this into words and spoke thus,

She declared, she chatted.

“I have spotted a fraud!

You have not read all these pages”

I answered her and spoke thus,

“Oh, woe is me, a luckless boy,

I read 67 pages and gave up.

I got as far as young Joukahainen

Shooting Vainamoinen’s horse.

Then I downloaded the book from Audible.

Based on oral tradition it was,

So an audio book seemed appropriate.

Read by the translator, Keith Bosley,

It is not bad if Medieval lit you enjoy

Or are curious about Tolkien’s influences.”

review 2019-01-19 04:34
The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book is on a 5.1 reading level (5th grade, 1st month of school). This story is about a toddler named Nobody who is raised by ghosts and other beings that live in the cemetery. Since most of the characters are introduced by their epitaph poem, this gives teachers an opportunity to study this type of poem with their class. From this point, students can write an epitaph for the remaining characters in the story, based off what they know about that character from the story.

review 2018-09-09 21:20
Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein

This is a book of funny and cute poems for children. It is a great introduction to poems.

In my classroom I would use this to get students interested in poems. As part of a lesson I would let students write poems using this book as an example.

Lexile Level: NA