logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: richelle-mead
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2019-11-08 20:50
The Emerald Sea
The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court) - Richelle Mead

The Glittering Court, Book 3

I Picked Up This Book Because: Finish the trilogy.

The Characters:

Tamsin Wright:
Jacob “Jago” Robinson:
Mira, Adelaide, Orla, Half a dozen other characters whose names I can’t remember

The Story:

The conclusion of a whirlwind of a tale of three young ladies chosen to give up their common lives and trained to become wives of wealthy gentlemen in a new land. Tamsin, the third in the trilogy, goes through enough to have lived 6 lives. Starting with her keeping a huge secret from the girls in the court and a shipwreck and taking her through an unbelievable series of events.

This is an excellent story of adventure in a strange land and wraps up with a happy ending.

The Random Thoughts:

The Score Card:

description

4 Stars

show activity (+)
review 2019-08-26 19:22
The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1) by Richelle Mead
The Glittering Court - Richelle Mead

This reader's personal opinion, ©2019, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by goodreads, Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

Outright boring.  Surprisingly disappointing.  Surprising because I usually like this author and because the disappointment wasn't with some of my usual YA objections.

This just was not a paranormal series.  Maybe if I hadn't been expecting a YA paranormal ...?  Maybe if had just been billed as alternate history?

Pretty much take a 1970s historical romance about colonizing the Americas with an uneven heroine (sort of mail order bride-ish) mostly self-involved ... oh heck, it was so utterly boring and trope-y I'm not even going to waste more time on reviewing it.  Prejudice and racism -- well yeah but even that was so utterly typical (male assholes wanting women in their place and assholes, mostly male, degrading a side character of color and all the women brought over to be brides treated like pieces of meat -- and even that was bland).

100% failed to live up to the hype and even the drama about whether or not was racist.

Drama? What drama, everything was so bland and forced and didn't flow.  Even the sudden about face towards end chapters with our shallow heroine now becoming super pioneer hardworking wife-y was just boring and a weird twist on the character that already was uneven.

Doesn't sound like rest of series is exactly "series" although follows some of the characters. I am certainly not interested enough to try the next book.

*©2019.  All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have cross-posted on Libib, LibraryThing, and other sites including retailers like kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties or indicate release of copyright.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)

review 2018-11-19 17:10
Book Review: Vampire Academy
Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

Book: Vampire Academy

Author: Richelle Mead

Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Supernatural

Summary: Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth's magic. Her best friend Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir: a guardian whose blood is a powerful blend of vampire and human. Rose's life is dedicated to protecting Lissa from the dangerous Strigoi - the fiercest vampires, who will stop at nothing to make Lissa one of them. After two years of freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St. Vladimir's Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be. But inside the iron gates, life is even more fraught with danger . . . and Strigoi are always close by. -Penguin, 2007.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-11-01 23:00
OMGGGGG
Last Sacrifice - Richelle Mead

SPOILER ALERT: It's possible to change the dead, tasha you bitchhhhh.

I READ THIS BOOK AGES AGO.

I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOK OMG.

So in the last book, everything changes. Rose breaks out of prison to not be killed basically. Dimitri goes with her. He aint dead no more. They kinda rekindle their love which I personally don't like. I liked her better with Adrian because he sounded so cool. I don't like the idea of a teacher student romantic relationship. whereas adrian was cool.

Tasha Ozera didn't like the fact that Dimitri still loved Rose and was jealous so she killed the queen and pinned it on Rose because everyone knew that Rose didn't like the queen at all. To be honest though, I wouldn't like the queen either...

Christian and Lisa are so cute and they get back together.

They prove that Rose didn't kill the queen which is badass.

Lisa proves everyone wrong and becomes the queen thanks to a secret relative she didn't know she had also known as jailbait... aka Jill!

The book made me feel a lot of emotions at once that I didn't know I had... So good!

5 million starts out of 5 :)

-Sarah.

review 2018-05-30 00:00
The Glittering Court
The Glittering Court - Richelle Mead *I received a copy from the Publisher for review. This does not affect my review*

This book, where to start? From the first, I enjoyed watching the nameless heiress of Rothford, even though her personality wasn't my favorite. While at times she showed her spoiled, pampered side, she was fun to read about because of her dangerous and daring side. From the moment she met Cedric, her life was forever changed. How much? Turns out, a lot more than the bargained for!

I loved seeing Adelaide in The Glittering Court, but it was the side characters that really made this story for me. There were quite a few, but my favorites were Mira, Nicholas, and Temsin, although Grant had his purpose as well, and the Marshall's. Not to mention Cedric's rebellious yet charming nature.

While the gist of the story line has been done countless times, I liked the unique twists this one had, and the idea of the Glittering Court, and a sort of mail-order-bride for the...New Nobility of Adoria.

I did have a few problems with this book...Most of them happening in the last half. While I admit the love interest is charming, the fact that his religion is...often ignored and never really resolved between Adelaide (Elizabeth) and him bothers me. Religion is a big deal...like really big, and should be an important factor in marriage plans.

Also blackmail, attempted murder, and sexual assault are also big deal, and even the 'rich and famous' should not be able to 'bribe' their way out of the consequences.