logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: roan
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-07-02 19:12
Raze
Raze - Roan Parrish

Ratings aside, I truly liked Raze, and as I've come to expect from Parrish, the writing is great with those terrific lines that jump out at you. Raze gives us a May/December romance, which is one of my favorite tropes, and we get those wonderfully flawed characters that Roan Parrish does so well. That said, I just couldn't help but feel like something was missing in this one. Maybe it's because the author has set the bar so high with this series, but I didn't feel like Huey and Felix's story sucked me in the way the first two in the series did. Part of that could be my feelings about Huey for a lot of this one. I waffled back and forth with him from the beginning. He would do something so completely sweet one minute, and check out of the relationship the next. I get the reasons why, but Felix is just so darn lovable that I couldn't help but want to shake the stuffing out of Huey at times - no matter his size. I also feel like he's a little too closed off, so much so that I had a hard time getting to know Huey. Whatever the reasons for my feelings about this third book in the series, I would still recommend it. The whole series is full of fantastic writing and wonderful characters with real problems. The romances bring out all the feels and while they are angsty, it's angst that we can understand and empathize with.

show activity (+)
review 2019-06-17 04:21
Review: In The Middle of Somewhere
In the Middle of Somewhere: Middle of Somewhere, Book 1 - Dreamspinner Press LLC,Roan Parrish,Robert Nieman

I wanted to like this more than I actually did.  The author may live in Philly, but they are clearly a transplant, or just the most out of tune Philadelphian ever.  But that's not really all that important to the plot/story.  It was just little things that bugged me because it's my home town and I wanted this book to be great.  It's written in.....wait for it.... First. Person.  Sigh.

The protagonists were good.  Daniel was a little jaded and paranoid, but once the story delves into his home life and experience with romance, it kind of makes perfect sense.  And Rex was a big teddy bear; definitely fits the cliche too good to be true.  There were some fun characters and some really annoying characters and I wanted to murder all of Daniel's family--they were the absolute worst.

Daniel, a gay man from Philly, takes a position as a professor at a college in Michigan.  He met Rex after his interview after hitting a dog with his car and trying to walk the injured animal to help while he was injured himself.  The run into Rex who immediately helps them.  After caring for the dog and making her as comfortable as possible until she could be taken to a vet in the morning, Rex tries to care for Daniel who doesn't realize that he's pretty banged up from the accident.  They have an instant connection and kiss, but nothing much happens beyond that.  The duo don't see one another again until Daniel has accepted the position and has been working in Michigan for a while.  Rex had kept the dog, and that kind of endeared him even more to Daniel.  There is some miscommunication, lack of communication, and general stupidity that's kind of aggravating, but not so much that I wanted to rage quit the book.  There was a lot of fluff and romance and sweetness.  And angst.

This was just okay.  I liked it, but did not love it.  I don't know that I will check out the rest of the series, as I read that the next book focuses on one of Daniel's jerk brothers.  Don't really want to see a redemption arc for any of them, especially Collin.

review 2018-11-25 23:11
Rend
Rend - Roan Parrish

Holy Moly! Roan Parrish doesn't just tug at the heartstrings, she gives them a good, solid yank and twists until it hurts. Rend is emotional, raw, and at times, absolutely heartbreaking. The writing style combined with the character development make it impossible to not become invested in this couple, which makes the emotional aspect that much more of a roller coaster ride. The good news is the author also gives us a light at the end of that dark tunnel by way of hope, love, friendship, and family. The romance is a bit different than what we usually see. Matt and Rhys are into the second year of their marriage at the start of the book, so while we don't get that new relationship angst, there's still a whole lot of getting to know each other. Especially for Matt, who has grown up in a world where everyone leaves. His feelings of abandonment and the surety that everyone is going to disappoint him are well-founded, but that doesn't make his feelings of being unlovable any easier to read. Combine that with Rhys' determination to be Matt's protector only to find out that he doesn't always see the signs of a problem, and we have plenty of angst for this couple. In spite of that angst, or maybe because of it, there are some truly beautiful moments between Matt and Rhys as they figure out what each needs from the relationship. We also get to catch up a bit with Theo and Caleb from the first book in the series. Each book can be read as a standalone, but it's always nice to revisit past favorites. To sum it up, if you're a crier, expect tears - both the happy kind and the not so happy. But it's also a wonderful story of finding that special someone who can help lead you through the maze of this difficult life. All in all, a great addition to the series.

show activity (+)
review 2018-11-14 06:45
Maturity
Rend - Roan Parrish

This is book #2 in Riven series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader understanding and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading series in order.

Matt meets Rhys thinking he would be an amazing one night stand.  To his surprise, there is something more there.  Now he must learn to fight for what he has.

Rhys knows saying the wrong thing will scare Matt away.  He cannot help how he feels.  So he keeps Matt any way he can.

This story caught me by surprise.  As a breath of fresh air.  The men must learn to put each other above the rest, even with odds against them.  I loved the sincere feelings that came across.  The real search for the one who can love you most.  I give this book a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review by Netgalley and its publishers.

review 2018-08-03 14:00
Where We Left Off
Where We Left Off - Roan Parrish

Not sure I will ever tire of this. And now probably my favorite of Roan’s Books. Just amazingly written and narrated.

***

I swear this gets better and better with each listen. So much love for Will and Leo and thank the heavens for the voice of Spencer Goss. ❤️❤️❤️

***

Even better the second time through. Not sure I've ever analyzed a book or a relationship as much as I have this one. Thanks Nathan for continuing this with me each and every listen.  ❤️❤️❤️

***

I told him about Will. By the time I got to the part where Will had kissed me and then left for New York the next day, Skinny Jeans was shaking his head.

“What?”

“Tell me you didn’t. Tell me you didn’t pull a full-on Felicity and come to school in New York to follow this Will guy.”

“Dude, Felicity?”

“Felicity’s my jam! Whatever, don’t judge me.”

And like Felicity, Leo’s journey is one of recognizing that love isn’t like a movie.  That reality may not always work out the way you think.  That the path may be difficult but it’s worth it.

I knew Milton was joking about me acting like I was in a rom-com, running to confess my love before the plane could take off or whatever. But it hit a little too close to Will’s comments about me being a romantic for comfort. My only relationship experience was from books, movies, and TV, so of course I had absorbed that stuff. And maybe when I’d first gotten here my hopes for me and Will had kind of skewed in that direction. But I was pretty sure that recently I’d—what? Grown out of it? Or, just seen that there were a lot of ways for relationships to go. A lot of ways that romance could look different.

And this one is no doubt different.  This is not your typical romance.  Not your typical swoonfest with exclamations of love and candlelit dinners.  But this felt real to me.  And there are conversations throughout this book…whether they are with Layne, or Milton, Daniel or Rex that are such a captivating exploration into relationship dynamics and understanding people that it made some of what happened with this couple work.

Like all of Roan’s books, her characters are so well developed and complex.  Nothing is ever what it really appears on the surface and diving further into understanding what makes a relationship between two people work is always an intriguing journey. This book especially. And while this has some heartbreaking scenes, seeing both characters grow and evolve with the other just worked for me.

One afternoon when the subway got delayed on my way up to Will’s apartment it hit me with a startling clarity. This was the problem with scripting romances in your head. When someone doesn’t hit the beats, you expect of them you have no idea what their actual behavior means. Will had tried to tell me. So had Gretchen. Even Layne, in her way, had told me. That this was what being a romantic looked like: paying more attention to your own expectations than to the very real person in front of you.

Now is this book for everyone? Maybe not.  But I have to say. I have never felt a book needed a narration like I feel this one does.  Will and Leo both are very different and I am sure many want to smack Will around and beat his head in…but I never got there with him.  He was never a character that I felt wasn’t blunt about where things stood.  Will needed a voice.  He needs to be heard to be understood.  And Spencer Goss’ narration does that.  Spencer brings these characters to life.  Makes them real.  And for some reason with this book, it is needed more than ever.  Will’s heart is missing from this book, I think, if you only read the words presented on paper and Spencer gives it to you.

As I stated above, this is not your typical romance but it is a love that I am certain will last.  Is it tied up with your typical HEA bow?? No, because that is not this couple.  But do I think they have the HEA?  I do. I really do.

I am so glad I took a chance on this book.  While I had not read the blurb or any reviews, I have heard rumblings of dis-satisfaction.  What a shame.  I’m in awe again over the characters, the writing and the relationships that Roan brings forth on the page. I eagerly await more...*cough cough Milton* and hopefully another narration with Spencer.  This pairing knows how to tell a story.