logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: romantic-suspense
Load new posts () and activity
review 2021-02-21 08:10
Chances
The Heartbreaker - Carly Phillips

This is the 3rd book in The Chandler Brothers series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For avoiding spoilers, and to enjoy the series, I recommend reading these in order.

Chandler has waited a long time for his chance at love.  Who knew it would come along in a barrel of lust over a red-headed woman?  There may be a few stipulations too.  So hopefully he can keep her safe.....

Sloane is a strong woman.  Even she gets rocked like a punch in the guts when secrets get revealed.  Good thing there are big, strong men to hold onto.  Chandler may be the remedy the doctor ordered.

This is the final story in the Chandler Brothers trilogy.  This family had given us laughter, heartwarming moments, sizzling chemistry, and most of all a bunch of book boyfriends to drool over.  I enjoyed laughing and crying my way through.  I give this a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.

review 2020-10-26 07:24
Silverhill
Silverhill - Phyllis A. Whitney

One of Whitney's earlier publications, this one still has the intricate plotting and surprises that are missing in her later titles.  Conversely, it's one of the less evocatively atmospheric of hers I've read so far.

The thing a reader has to accept about Whitney is that her whole raison d'être in writing was to thrust heroines into the most unwelcome home she could imagine and have her persevere in spite of all stumbling blocks.  It's formulaic, definitely, but each of her earlier novels becomes unique in the setting, the secrets and the mystery.

Silverhill absolutely fits the Whitney formula, and it made me a bit impatient at the start as all the usual hurdles, cruelty and heartache were presented along with the future insta-love (these books were written in the 50's and 60's when apparently if it took you longer than 48 hours to decide you'd met your One True Love, you might as well not bother).

But one all of that was gotten through, the story was a surprise.  I thought I knew where it was going, and I was sort of right, but the salient detail of the whole thing blindsided me when it was revealed.  So much karma getting doled out to everyone.  And, of course, a happy ending for our heroine.

When a good Whitney comes along, they are a pure indulgence to a much more innocent, yet horrific, form of story telling for readers who like their suspense served in tandem with romance, and a touch of gothic for garnish.

review 2020-10-13 07:02
Deceive
Code Name: Rook (Jameson Force Security #6) - Sawyer Bennett

This is book #6 in the Jameson Force Security Series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  To avoid spoilers, and fully understand the series, I recommend reading this series in order.

Jaime finds herself being charmed by a hot man who thinks she is beautiful.  It's a treat to be wanted, and even better appreciated.  It is electric chemistry almost from the very beginning.  And it's mutual.....

Cage is back from a difficult mission.  He needs some down time.  Why not spend it with someone who is fascinating?  He really likes her and actually wants to be around her.  Maybe its time to give a relationship a chance?

The heat in this story starts right from the beginning.  I love how this couple is attracted to one another so much they can barely be apart.  The pace of the story moves well, and goes kind of quick.  This fits the lifestyle, and this works to sell the storyline.  Rich and deep characters, we have looked forward to this book - and I loved it.  I give this a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review and opinion.

review 2020-10-09 22:36
The Turquoise Mask
The Turquoise Mask - Phyllis A. Whitney

Wow, can Whitney be verbose.  Her earlier work has always been better, in my opinion, but this one was an in-between - first published in 1974.  Which makes the plotting excellent, and the abuse of the expository extreme.  Unfortunately the expository gauntlet must be run for many chapters before a hint of the rewarding plot can be found.

I'm undecided on whether it's worth the effort.  The plotting was very well done.  I was absolutely certain I knew who the villain was right up until almost the end, when she convinced me I was wrong, that it was really .... and then she blindsided me with the solution that was just unexpected.  Whitney got huge bonus points for stunning me, but I'm not sure how I actually feel about it as a legitimate ending.  It works, but it feels like it shouldn't.

The characters, and the romance, were, as is typical with both Whitney's writing and the time she wrote in, dramatic and overly simplified.  Insta-love has nothing on romantic suspense from the 70's; and characters' personalities are never subtle or nuanced.  If you accept this as the style of its time, it's not an insurmountable problem.

The one thing Whitney never lost, no matter how many books she wrote, was her sense of place.  I'm not sure I've ever read anybody better at putting the reader in whatever setting she wants them, and making them feel like they were there.  Here the deserts of New Mexico are the backdrop, and though I've never in my life seen an adobe house, I feel like I've lived in one the last couple of days.

I'd neither recommend it nor deter anyone from this one; the exposition is a challenge, but if that slow build isn't a deterrent, the story is one of her more complicated and compelling ones.

I read this for the Romantic Suspense square (which is on my card is the Psych square that's been flipped), for Halloween Bingo 2020.

review 2020-07-16 22:07
Book Review for Dirty Rocker by S. C. Daiko
Dirty Rocker by S.C. Daiko - S.C. Daiko

Another enjoyable read from this author. We really enjoyed the characters and the story itself as it was fun and flirty and it also had a serious theme to it with issues such as struggling with guilt and battling alcohol & substance abuse.

We loved Hayley from the moment we met her she was kind and funny and independent and she was the type of person that everyone just loves she also is dealing with some personal issues of her own that have her shying away from any kind of a personal relationship until that dirty rocker bad boy Pierce Fox has her wishing things were different.

We loved that cocky bad boy rocker Pierce Fox to even though he initially was a bit of a douche he redeemed himself and then some throughout the book. We loved the fact that although Pierce's past was a troubling one he never made excuses for the choices he made and the things he had done in the past he just owned up to them and moved forward creating a better life for himself. We loved how talented he was and through his process of recovery, he was discovering he had some hidden talents as well.

We loved Pierce and Hayley as a couple they had tons of chemistry and they had developed an amazing friendship before becoming lovers which really was quite endearing. As the story unfolds both slowly start to heal and as they start dealing with the secrets of their past things really started heating up and even discovered things that would yet again change their lives once again.

Overall we really loved the story which surprised me as I am not much of a Rock Star romance kind of girl I ended up loving it. The story was heartfelt and emotional and had you laughing out loud at times and smirking at others. This was a really sweet romance full of lots of messy bits some good and others not so good but, through all the trials two people found their soul mate and they're happily ever after.