I definitely added a few of these to my list, though many were already there.
* "Lamb to the Slaughter" (Roald Dahl)
* "Good Country People" (Flannery O'Connor)
* "The Yellow Wallpaper" (Charlotte Perkins)
* "The Lottery" (Shirley Jackson)
* "Masque of the Red Death" (Edgar Allan Poe)
* ... and of course Agatha Christie's "Witness for the Prosecution," even though the play and the movie take that particular story to yet another level entirely.
From Harper Lee to Hilary Mantel, and poetry to parallel universes, here’s a holiday library of unmissable books chosen by authors, critics, publishers and more