logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: the-penguin
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-09-09 23:36
Instant
Must Love Dogs...and Hockey - Kelly Jamieson

Lilly feels like her life is falling apart.  She has lost another job, and it has her feeling low about herself.  Then she gets an additional dog walking client.  He intrigues her, and she finds him incredibly attractive.

Easton is totally enamored with Lilly.  Right from the moment they meet he cannot help but think she is so beautiful.  She seems to love dogs, and is great with them.  Since he finds himself unexpectedly the caregiver of a puppy he needs her help.

This story has such a great balance.  I felt like it had a great base story. Was full of humor, angst, heat, and more.  I had to read it all in one sitting, since I did not want to put it down.  The characters are meant to be and it shows. I give it a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review by Netgalley and its publishers.

review 2020-07-26 14:32
The friendship bird
The Penguin Lessons - Tom Mitchell

On holiday and on a beach in Uruguay Tom Mitchell rescues a lone penguin from many thousands who have died due to oil polution. From this tragedy, perpetrated by arguably the penguins greatest enemy...humans, comes a novel of friendship, love and sadness as we laugh and cry at the survival of Juan Salvador (the penguin!) and the wonderful and lasting affect he has on all those who come into contact with him. Highly recommended!

review 2020-04-27 14:49
The Write Reads Ultimate Blog Tour~ Harrow Lake
Harrow Lake - Kat Ellis

Book source ~ Tour

Meet Lola Nox. She is the daughter of famous filmmaker Nolan Nox. Her mother, Lorelei, played the lead character in Nolan’s most celebrated horror film, Nightjar. Set in Harrow Lake, Indiana, the birthplace of Lorelei, but she took off when Lola was five so she doesn’t really remember her. Nearly as long as she can remember it’s just been her and Nolan. And Larry, Nolan’s right-hand man. When Nolan is near fatally attacked in their New York City apartment, Larry ships Lola off to her grandmother in Harrow Lake. A grandmother she has no knowledge of. The moment Lola gets there strange things begin happening and Lola needs to figure things out before she goes crazy. Or ends up dead.

Okay. This is one weird and disturbing tale of a 17-yr-old girl with a strange family set up. Told entirely from Lola’s POV it’s not always clear what the hell is going on in this creepy town. She’s never been to her mother’s birthplace so she doesn’t know anyone, not even her grandmother. Odd things keep happening, the town is disturbingly obsessed with the slasher movie that put it on the map, and women disappear from it with no explanation. On top of all that, there are signs that the town will once again slide into a sinkhole like it did before but was rebuilt. And the cherry on top? There’s a scary story about a guy named Mr. Jitters who turned cannibal when he was caught in the first sinkhole and he’s still around after nearly 100 years. Creepy much? The story is twisty and turny and has a great ending, but I feel the execution is lacking. At times, the story just stops then jumps ahead without any transition. Maybe that’s just the style of this author, but it feels incomplete to me. However, don’t let that stop you from reading this tale straight out of your nightmares.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2020/04/twr-ultimate-tour-harrow-lake.html
review 2020-03-09 19:07
Review ~ Decent read
Summon the Keeper - Tanya Huff

Book source ~ Purchased

Claire Hansen is a Keeper. I mean, as in, magically. She goes to accident sites and fixes them. And by accident I mean places that have had a magical boo boo happen. She and her companion, a white and black furry feline named Austin, go where they are summoned, fix the problem, and move on. Except this time, the guardian, a Cousin named Augustus, has buggered off from his post, the Elysian Fields Guesthouse, a rundown B&B in Kingston Ontario. It’s an accident site of unusual intensity and origin and Augustus had been there 70+ years keeping watch over it, but had finally decided he couldn’t take it anymore and summoned a Keeper. Who happens to be Claire. Now she’s stuck with this site and has to figure out how to close it for good or be trapped here until her dying day. Not an enjoyable prospect for one so powerful and in her prime no matter how gorgeous her cook/handy man, Dean McIssac, is.

This is a light and entertaining bit of fluff to keep you occupied for an afternoon. There’s magic, humor, Hell (who speaks in CAPS-trust me, hilarious!), and some yummy non-explicit hotness revolving around the handyman and a ghost. Plus, a talking cat. Yay! Dean’s Newfoundland accent got a bit irritating after a while, but I worked around it. Claire can be a little unlikeable at times, but not horrendously so. I got tired of Jacques and his constant sex innuendos. Give it a rest for a bit would ya? Claire’s sister Diana, I hated. Seriously. Anyway…The world is interesting and the characters entertaining (most of the time), so I say if you like a bit of different magic mixed with humor then give this a go. I mentioned the talking cat, right? Yay!

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2020/03/summon-keeper.html
review 2020-01-26 13:38
Lot No. 249
Lot No. 249 (Penguin Little Black Classics) - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is credited for being the first to write an evil mummy story. This is that story. I thought it was an interesting read, not in the least because these type of Victorian horror stories would hardly be called that today. The story is in fact rather slow. But what I liked about it most was how it showed the total craze for mummies/everything Egyptian that was ongoing at the time.

~Little Black Classics #121~