logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: very-interesting...
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-03-30 19:24
The Great Book of Ice Hockey by Bill O'Neill & Ryan Black
The Great Book of Ice Hockey: Interestin... The Great Book of Ice Hockey: Interesting Facts and Sports Stories (Sports Trivia 1) - Bill O'Neill,Ryan Black

When you miss hockey, what else is there to do but read a book on hockey facts.
I'm glad I did too!
I've been watching hockey for most of my life. I have been a Toronto Maple Leaf fan since 1992. Beyond the Leafs, I didn't really know much about any other players or teams. I may have heard of stars like Terry Sawchuck, but I really knew nothing about him.
This book changed all of that.
I learned so much about certain players, and teams, including the para-olympic hockey sport of sled hockey.
Shows you really are never too old to learn something new about something you love.
A great book for fans!!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2020/03/the-great-book-of-ice-hockey-by-bill.html
review 2018-07-22 23:11
E.M. Forster: A New Life
E.M. Forster: A New Life - Wendy Moffat

Before judging my reading experience of this book based on my star rating, let me say this:

This was not a bad book and there are aspects of this biography that provide a valuable insight into Forster's life and work. However, this biography really follows Forster's life from one angle only, depending on what you expect from a biography, mileage on this may vary.

Moffat starts the book with an explanation of her approach, which in turn is based on something Christopher Isherwood said when looking at a stack of biographies about Forster:

"Of course all those books have got to be re-written," he said. "Unless you start with the fact that he was homosexual, nothing's any good."

That is, Moffat is quoting from an Isherwood biography by John Lehmann here, and whether this is a true account or was written as a dramatic embellishment, I could not say.

It does, however, go straight to the heart of Moffat's biography ... and also to one of the criticisms I have.

Moffat does an excellent job presenting Forster in the context of his sexuality, or more precisely his initial struggles with it and the immense pressure he felt of not being able to live openly for fear of persecution and, indeed, prosecution. Being a young man at the start of the 20th century, Forster would have only been too aware of the trials of Oscar Wilde and would himself witness the arrest of friends and acquaintances over the decades.

His resentment over not being able to tell the stories he really wanted to tell and over having to work within the expectations of societal conventions lead to Forster stopping to write major works of fiction after A Passage to India (1924). That is, he did write another major novel, Maurice, but insisted that it should not be published until after his death as the story tells of the relationship between two men and he feared the repercussions. (Btw, Maurice apparently includes a game-keeper scene that may have inspired D.H. Lawrence - one of the few people who were aware of the manuscript - to mock it in Lady Chatterley's Lover)

Moffat explores Forster's diaries - including his "locked" diaries, which he also only allowed access after his death - in detail and we do get a clear picture of the anxieties and of the passions Forster had, and Moffat does well to connect Forster's diary entries with the lives of his friends, peers, and with perception of homosexuality in society through the decades.

However, this is also the main point where this book fell down for me. Moffat goes into a lot of detail. Salacious detail. Lots and lots of it. At times, I felt like whole chapters were focusing about who bedded whom more so than Forster's life and work. Rather than developing an argument, it felt like some of the descriptions merely served to provide a sensationalist hook.

I really should have liked this more than I did, but the meandering descriptions of relationships (not just Forster's but also of his friends and acquaintances) made me skim over quite a few paragraphs. There was little point to most of them.

The other criticism I have is with Moffat's writing style. It did not work for me. Her narrative sounded dramatised in a way that made the book read more like fiction than non-fiction and some of the descriptions, as a result of the narrations, did not sound factual even tho they may have been. This was not helped by the way that references were not clearly marked in the text. They were there, of course, but I should not have to check the reference section in the book to see if a certain line on a page is actually backed up with a source of research.

All in all, this was interesting, but I would not recommend the book without some hesitation.

review 2017-12-04 00:00
The World War 2 Trivia Book: Interesting... The World War 2 Trivia Book: Interesting Stories and Random Facts from the Second World War (Trivia War Books Book 1) - Bill O'Neill,Steve Penn *I won an ecopy of this title in a LibraryThing's Member Giveaway. This does not affect my review.*

I enjoyed reading this, and learning some interesting facts about WWII. Easy to read and understand, this book is perfect for trivia fans who want to know more about WWII. None of the facts are hard to find and most are well known by historians, but it's perfect for normal people who just want to know a bit more, or anyone who wants to learn some neat facts. I enjoyed the layout of this book, with short chapters ending with some trivia questions to help you think more about what you just read.
review 2017-09-18 00:00
Serial Killers: 101 Interesting Facts And Trivia About Serial Killers
Serial Killers: 101 Interesting Facts And Trivia About Serial Killers - Jack Rosewood A book about serial killers should not be boring but this one was.
review 2017-05-30 08:37
ARC Review – Elpída, by C. Kennedy
Elpida - C. Kennedy

Elpída. Hope.

Because without hope, we are all lost.

Because without hope, we have nothing.

The final installment of this trilogy leaves me shattered and sad, and full of anger towards the men who perpetrate this kind of abuse on children. But most of all, it leaves me with hope, exhilarated and happy, which, in this context, is nothing short of magic on the author’s part.

To take this extremely important and difficult subject matter, and lovingly show it without condescension or sensationalism, and give so many young people hope? Magic, indeed.

There is such powerful truth in this series. There is such compassionate giving of hope. It is horrid and beautiful at the same time, and it has a way of sending a spiraling sense of meaning out to young people who are hurting, telling them there is a future, there is a life, there is a way. Telling them that there are good people out there, who will love them.

Hope. Truly the most powerful of all human feelings.

We started with beauty in book one. And horror. And friendship. And love.

Omorphi. Beauty.

We continued with courage in book two. Lots and lots of courage. And love.

Thárros. Courage.

We finish with hope in this third book, as we run, and hide, and make mistakes, and fix them again. And love.

Elpída. Hope.

Thimi is a young boy who lived through the same horrors as Christy in Greece, and Christy finally gets to see his old friend again as he arrives in the US as a scared little waif of a boy. Thimi slowly opens up through the story, and as he starts to understand the sunshine that can exist in a normal life we get to see more about what happens inside a child after abuse.

When you read a YA book, not often does it also work as a manual of how to do things to help a former victim of abuse. It is not often that, in soft tones and sweet turns of phrase, you will understand and learn how to act around people who have been through the unthinkable. Who have been through the unspeakable.

This is a little bit like a beautifully crafted Technical Manual of Care and Maintenance for those who work with our collective youth, especially if they work with children or young adults who have had a hard time.

And the end result? The telling of a great, great love story — with true friendship shining through, the kind of love that inspires both happy endings and good laughs.

There are other new fascinating characters entering the scene, too, and especially Zero is someone I would love to see more of in a future book... I can truly say that I hope this trilogy gets a fourth and fifth instalment, because there are still things I’d like to know, (and history is full of excellent trilogies in five parts). (Just sayin’).

Beauty and Courage and Hope.

Because Elpida means hope.

And, as we said in the beginning, without hope, we are all lost.

***

I was given a free copy of this book from the publisher, Harmony Ink Press.

A positive review wasn’t promised in return. I also beta-read an early version of the manuscript.

Source: annalund2011.booklikes.com/post/1567067/arc-review-elpida-by-c-kennedy