logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: wacky
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-24 00:00
Bird Brains: The Wild & Wacky World of Birds
Bird Brains: The Wild & Wacky World of B... Bird Brains: The Wild & Wacky World of Birds - Jeremy Hyman Bird Brains is an illustrated book that talks about the various ways birds learn and function. I thought it was interesting that it was illustrated via drawings, and not actual photographs. Coming right off of reading It's a Fungus Among Us, it definitely required me to shift gears a little bit. Not just because of how the birds are pictured, but also because of how the information is conveyed. (Very straight-forward presentation with little to break up the information into smaller, easier to digest bits.)

This is a good book for young readers who are developing a serious interest in birds. The pictures are bright and colorful, the line spacing is good. I didn't particular care for the font, but I can't say that it is a negative thing either. Each bit is broken into sections according to the type of brain a bird has. It's probably best deliberately looked through with breaks between the sections. I found my attention wandering about halfway through, and it was hard to stay on task.

There is some very interesting information in Bird Brains: The Wild & Wacky World of Birds. I particularly liked the bird skeleton near the beginning. I didn't know birds had wrists! Though, to be honest, I never much think about bird wings beyond what spices I want on them when I'm hungry. But beyond that, the amount of songs some birds can memorize, the tricks that some of them can pull off to get food, it's all very neat. It is obvious that the author has a fascination with birds and did his best to craft a book that would showcase that appreciation.

Not a book that's high on my personal recommendations list, but for the right type of young reader, it may be the perfect gift.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book via Edelweiss for review consideration.
review 2017-05-29 00:00
A Little Bit of Nonsense: A Wacky Collec... A Little Bit of Nonsense: A Wacky Collection of Funny Poems: Funny Poems for Kids,Small Funny Poems, Funny Poems about Animals, Funny Poems about People - Denise Rodgers This was a surprisingly nice collection of poems for kids. I picked it at random when looking for a book to read with my 8 year old at bedtime and we were both happy with our choice.

Not all of the poems are perfect, and the book does need a bit of editing, but there's definite more hits than misses in this collection of funny poems.

I think fans of Shell Silverstein's work will find several poems they like in this book.

(Better review later.)
review 2017-01-29 05:46
Harley Quinn Vol. 3: Kiss Kiss Bang Stab (New 52) - Chad Hardin,Amanda Conner,Jimmy Palmiotti

This is my favorite one in this series. I'm glad I didn't give up. The silliness is tempered out a bit with good storytelling. Harley is much more of a heroic antiheroine instead of a neutral character who has no concept of right and wrong. Also, we get to see her psychiatrist roots in this book. There is still some gross humor, but not as over the top. Loved the Batman/Bruce Wayne storyline and the lesson about you might not want what you thought you did when you actually get it. A lot of good moments and this one actually had a feel good vibe to it. Not helping my Harley Quinn obsession here, folks.

review 2016-10-21 23:32
Pippi Longstocking
Pippi Longstocking - Florence Lamborn,Nancy Seligsohn,Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking, is such a cute book to read to your class!! Pippi is a little girl who has bright read hair, and silly pigtails! She is super wacky and goes one adventure after another! Pippi does like being told what to do by her parents, but she is such a sweet little girl! With this book, you can make a cute activity where the whole class can make their very own long stocking!This book is geared towards kindergarten-2nd!

review 2016-07-29 00:00
Weird but True Sports: 300 Wacky Facts About Awesome Athletics
Weird but True Sports: 300 Wacky Facts A... Weird but True Sports: 300 Wacky Facts About Awesome Athletics - National Geographic Kids National Geographic Kids Weird but True Sports definitely gets the seal of approval in this household. Not only did it entertain the child in the family, but it was a hit with the adults too! It’s stuffed with facts, filled with pictures, and formatted so that each page is attention-grabbing. The facts vary greatly. There’s a bit of the absurd in the custard throwing contest, pole-sitting competition, glacier racing, etc. For the serious (but little known) facts to offset them,they have stuff like the fact that divers use a bubbler machine to ‘soften the water’. There’s also animal sport facts that totally had the kiddo and myself grabbing my phone so we could look stuff like the Pig Olympics up.

It was so fascinating for my child that she made it halfway through the book before her attention wandered! Parents of the 5 to 7 age range can understand exactly how rare that is. Almost all the information was new to her, and it was fun to discover it together. Weird but True Sports perfectly nails how to be informative and entertaining at the same time. It’s a book that kids can pick up and browse at any time. The set-up means there will be things for them to discover time and time again. It’s the perfect size and length, so I’d definitely recommend picking it up. Especially with the Olympics not too far away. What better way to get your kid excited and interested in what will be going on?

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.