It is a proven fact that living with a pet dog makes carpet maintenance a challenging task. Unexpected accidents on the floor or pet hair stuck in the carpet are what you should fight with all the time to keep your floors fresh. To enjoy the cleanliness of your carpet for longer, take advantage of these five care tips every dog owner should know:
- Invest in the right carpet – stain-resistant carpets are your best bet if you live with a pet dog since these types of carpets come with a protective layer that keeps spills and scratches at bay. While a stain-resistant carpet will not be able to neutralise your carpet cleaning efforts completely, it will certainly allow you to invest much less time and energy to banish pet accidents from the carpeted floor. However, be prepared that a stain-resistant carpet is a pricier solution than a regular one. But if you are about to replace your old carpet with a new one or wish to switch from tiled or hardwood flooring, a stain-resistant carpet is always a good idea for pet owners.
- Act immediately on accidents – no matter how well-trained your puppy is, living with a dog inevitably leads to tackling accidents on the floors. And with your floors carpeted, you need to act on those messes as quickly as possible to prevent permanent staining of the beautiful carpet. Whenever your fluffy dog makes an accident on the carpet, grab paper towels to collect the liquids or scoop hard messes immediately. Once you manage to deal with the removable part of the accident, you can continue with the proper stain treatment. To make sure you will be able to deal with accidents quickly enough, always keep paper towels close by. This way, you will avoid wasting time and allowing the mess to set on the carpet.
- Clean eco-friendly – the fact is, the well-being of your pet dog should come first and using pet-friendly cleaning products to deal with carpet stains is a must. The good news is you can easily find harmless cleaning products at the store. You can also prepare DIY cleaning mixtures with natural ingredients to tackle pet stains. Ingredients like white distilled vinegar, essential oils and baking soda work wonderfully to protect the carpet, and at the same time, they are harmless to your dog's health. Plus, eco-friendly carpet cleaning solutions are simple to prepare and pretty affordable.
- Deodorise with baking soda – carpets tend to trap various smells, and those odours could become a huge issue when living with a pet dog. To banish dog smells from the carpet, choose the eco-friendly way and utilise baking soda. Sprinkle baking soda all over the carpet and allow it to sit for at least 12 hours, preferably overnight. Next, you should vacuum clean the carpet to collect baking soda residue. As an eco-friendly cleaning agent, baking soda is safe for your dog's health. At the same time, the ingredient is absorbent, thus being able to remove pet smells and refresh the carpet in a flash.
- Book a pro service – if you live with a pet dog, germs and bacteria trapped in the carpet are likely to bother you. To rest assured your floors are safe, hire a professional carpet cleaning service at least twice a year. Having the carpet deep cleaned by the experts guarantees pristine floors with no dangerous germs remaining trapped in the carpet. Furthermore, the pros will take care of old pet stains you have failed to remove, leaving the carpet perfectly safe to use and sparkly clean.
Living with a pet dog and keeping the carpet spotless will become a simple task now that you have discovered these smart care tips.