The Children of Húrin
The first complete book by J.R.R. Tolkien in three decades -- since the publication of The Silmarillion in 1977 -- The Children of Hurin reunites fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Elves and Men, dragons and Dwarves, Eagles and Orcs. Presented for the first time as a complete,... show more
The first complete book by J.R.R. Tolkien in three decades -- since the publication of The Silmarillion in 1977 -- The Children of Hurin reunites fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Elves and Men, dragons and Dwarves, Eagles and Orcs.
Presented for the first time as a complete, standalone story, this stirring narrative will appeal to casual fans and expert readers alike, returning them to the rich landscape and characters unique to Tolkien.
The Children of Hurin, begun in 1918, was one of three 'Great Tales' J.R.R. Tolkien worked on throughout his life, though he never realized his ambition to see it published. Though familiar to many fans from extracts and references within other Tolkien books, it has long been assumed that the story would forever remain an unfinished tale. Now reconstructed by Christopher Tolkien, painstakingly editing together the complete work from his father's many drafts, this book is the culmination of a tireless thirty-year endeavor by him to bring J.R.R.Tolkien's vast body of unpublished work to a wide audience.
Publish date: 2007-04-17
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Pages no: 313
Edition language: English
Series: Middle-Earth Universe
Beschreibung Im Ersten Zeitalter von Mittelerde, tausende Jahre vor dem Ringkrieg, gelangt Morgoth an die Macht und ein Krieg gegen die Elben und Edain beginnt. Nach einer schrecklichen Schlacht wird Húrin von Morgoth gefangen genommen und seine gesamte Familie mit einem Fluch belegt. Das Schick...
About 80% of my positive feelings about this are because of Christopher Lee reading the audiobook. He seemed to be having a good time, and I enjoyed listening to him. The other 20% is for a couple added characters and the general prettiness of Tolkein's writing. 0% is for Turin, who I've never liked...
This is the story of Turin, and in my opinion it is the most tragic of all of Tolkien's stories. It's up there with Steinbeck, for just how dark and miserable it is. For a good love story, read about Beren and Luthien in The Lays of Beleriand. If you want to cry, read this. It's been about twen...
This one is a little hard going. If you've read The Silmarillion, it is similar in tone and expands on Tolkien's mythology. Personally I like this sort of thing, but it can be a little dry for some people. It's not what you would call fast action and Tolkien does have a way of dragging things out....
Even if this is a very good book, I was not sure to like it because it was different than the Hobbit. I mean that the story explain a entire life, so it's not only an short adventure. It's a lot of things that happen in only one book, so we only read the most important events. It's a bit complicated...