Rating: 3* of five In the 90 years since this was written, I think its central premise...that people will do anything to avoid embarrassment...has proved an evergreen turned inside out. Reality TV takes everyone's dirtiest and smelliest laundry public. The characters in this book would have expired in smallish heaps of the honour-vapours at their great-grandchildren's idea of entertainment. Miss Silver is clearly carrying the pertussis bacterium. Her cough is ever-present. I remember from reading these books in the 1980s how irritating I found it. The identity of Grey Mask was pretty obvious to me from the first time they appear in mufti, so to speak. One amusing piece of retrospective theater is enough to make my day, and it takes place in the very first scene. There are over 30 of these little marvies. They are all, au fond, the same book. Either you like that book or you don't. Don't read this one and think, "oh well, maybe the others are better" because they really aren't. I like them. They're quiet and peaceful little murder plots for silly and quite overblown stakes. Miss Silver is more of a sleuth than Marple ever was, in that she sallies forth in her colourless shmattes and her mouse-fur coloured hair and those blah gray eyes that see every-goddamned-thing and doesn't seem to rely as much on chitter-chatter from every ladies' maid in 1920s London. Try one. If it's not to your taste, well it didn't cost much.
*Bookish meme created by Moonlight Reader
Last week I went through Prime Reading and NOOK's free books sections looking for new material for my e-readers. My spreadsheet now stands at almost 220 books. I had to break up the list of new additions so as not to screw up my followers' eyes.
*HR = historical romance *CR = contemporary romance *PRN = paranormal romance
*CL = chick lit *CM = cozy mystery
Added to NOOK:
1. Loving the Hawke (The Seven Curses of London #1) by Lana Williams (HR)
2. Death Down Under (Ruby Bay Mystery #1) by Samantha Silver (CM/CL)
3. Poison in Paddington (Cassie Coburn Mystery #1) by Samantha Silver (CMCL)
4. The Locked Room Murder (Bluebell Knopps #1) by Nancy McGovern (CM/CL)
5. Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer #1) by Laura Durham (CM/CL)
6. Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case (Jayne Frost #1) by Kristen Painter (PRN/CM)
7. The Vampire's Mail Order Bride (Nocturne Falls #1) by Kristen Painter (PRN)
8. Mask of Duplicity (The Jacobite Chronicles #1) by Julia Brannan (HR)
9. Romance Grows in Arcadia Valley by Various Authors (anthology) (CM)
10. Mail Order Bride Amelia (Silver River Brides #1) by Karla Gracey (HR)
11. A Lady of Esteem (Hawthorne House #0.5) by Kristi Ann Hunter (HR)
12. Out of the Storm (Beacons of Hope #0.5) by Jody Hedlund (HR)
13. First Impressions by Elizabeth Johns (HR)
14. Tabitha (Girls from the Mountain #1) by Vikki Kestell (HR)
15. A Rose Blooms Twice (Prairie Heritage #1) by Vikki Kestell (HR)
*Takes a Breath*
16. Appalachian Serenade (Appalachian Blessing #0.5) by Sarah Loudin Thomas (CR)
17. At Your Request (Apart from the Crowd #0.5) by Jen Turano (HR)
18. Waiting for Dawn (Team Hope #0.5) by Susan May Warren (CR/SUSPENSE)
19. Alejandro's Sorceress (The Cardinal Witches #1) by Alyssa Day (PRN)
20. Mad for Love (Highland Brides #1) by Elizabeth Essex (CR)
21. The Three Fates (The Empress of Rome #3.5) by Kate Quinn (HR)
22. Millie Marries a Marshal (Brides of Grit #2) by Linda K. Hubalek (HR)
23. Secrets to Reveal (Highland Wolves #1) by Tilly Wallace (HR/PRN)
24. Sorceress Awakening (Gargoyle and Sorceress #1) by Lisa Blackwood (PRN)
25. Daughters of Darkness by Various Authors (anthology) (PRN)
26. Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison #1) by Mindy Klasky (PRN/CL)
27. Love's Beginning (Eagle Harbor Short Story) by Naomi Rawlings (HR)
28. Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy #1) by Jill Barnett (HR)
29. The Case of the Missing Cross (Justice and Miss Quinn Mystery #1) by Felicia Rogers (CM/HR)
30. The Elusive Miss Ellison (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace #1) by Carolyn Miller (HR) - Not free but on sale
31. The Captivating Lady Charlotte (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace #2) by Carolyn Miller (HR) - Not free but on sale
32. The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace #3) by Carolyn Miller (HR) - Not free but on sale
Wow. This book is nothing like the movie, at least the one I watched with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jeremy Irons. The end was so tragic and the actual prisoner in the iron mask was such a small part of the story. Seems to me it was the complete opposite in the movie. Huh. Go figure.
I'm glad I finally read this.
It is 11:30pm, almost the day is over and I haven't thought of a thing to be thankful for (Other than the obvious things!) because my sleep schedule is messed up again and I slept most of the day.
However, even though it was messed up, I slept good. I am thankful for the cute kitty eye mask that I have. It helped block out the light and also added pressure to my head, helping sooth any pain there.