Nowadays, Internet or Wi-Fi access is being used everywhere, whether it is home, workplace, internet or Wi-Fi is required everywhere. But the more it is used, the more hackers, scammers, and identity thieves are also increasing. This can only happen in your area where there is an unsafe Wi-Fi router. It steals your personal information by taking the chance of your unsafe Wi-Fi.
Cyber criminals can reach you only when your Wi-Fi network will not be secure and another reason may be that you have not set unique Wi-Fi password for IP address. While using it you will not find any person, but any type of mail, OTP code, link can come in which steals information of your personal information, banking, work area details.
Basic router security instructions
The first priority is the strong password of the router to keep your device safe from cyber criminals. When you buy a new router, then the default password comes in it, you have to enter it while setting up the router and after that you have to set a new, complex, unique password. All different routers have different instructions which you can follow through their guide.
- All the wireless routers have numerical address and instructions are given in all of these. If you do not know these instructions, you can search the router’s model number online and follow its guide.
- In the second process, you have to go to the security settings and create a router and password and also set its name, if you do not want to keep the name then you can also select WAP2 type encryption. You have to keep the name of your router unique which no one can identify.
- Most important, when you enter the complex password of the router, you should remember it and save this password in your data.
- When you follow the prompts, keep updating the information along with it so that your router will be away from the reach of cyber criminals.
Different types of encryption
The settings option in your router has different encryption options that run on the functionality of the router. Most of the router encryption comes in WEP, WPA and WPA2 and all of them run from Netgear, Linksys and ASUS companies
- Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP): This is the data encryption and superseded authentication mode that is the oldest and most popular form. It exchanges WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK authentication and data encryption when you are up to 54 Mbps from the Mode menu WEP option is displayed when you select.WEP uses radio-waves so it is the least secure of protocols.
- Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2): The use of this encryption is currently the safest. So if you have WPA2, this is what you should use mostly. It does not enumerate the use of Temporal’s Integrity Protocol or TKIP, along with scrambling the encryption key.
- Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA): It measures the shortcomings of the WEP and was developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance. It is a well-equipped computing device that scrambles encryption keys, but we cannot say it too secure because it can crack the radio waves.
- Advanced Encryption Standard: This is a type of encryption that also makes good use of WES2 or WPA. The excessive use of Use of AES to encrypt sensitive data and encryption protects classified information used in the federal government.
How to set up Wi-Fi router securely: Follow them
The more the product will be made easy and simple for the user, the more popular it will be because quality is the identity. However, many routers come with an instruction guide which explains how to install and configure them. Nowadays, apps are also coming in the market in which the set-up process takes place, so everyone can install the user easily. We give you the necessary instructions which you can follow.
Update your router periodically with new firmware
The most important thing is to update your router’s firmware periodically. Because cyber criminals can be avoided by keeping the router updated. You can update it monthly, weekly. Whatever new router is coming now, they allow you to enable your information. When you keep updating the router, it will automatically update the software, although some routers are automated, some have to be updated manually.
Change your router password and login credentials
Change your router’s password and login credentials to avoid cyber attacks. For this you have to set the default password and it is very difficult for hackers. After updating the password and login credentials, save it to your data. You can use alphanumeric characters to create unique passwords. For more security, the username of the network can also be changed.
Setup a guest network
By setting up the guest network, you will not need to set the password again and again, but your guests and outsiders can also connect your network, yet your primary network will remain secure. Therefore it is called guest network.
There will be no harm to your network even if there is some kind of malware or virus in the network of outsiders and guests.
Use a virtual private network (VPN)
Virtual private networks should be used to protect your router. It encrypts your connection so that hackers cannot get confidential and anonymous information. With the help of virtual private network, you can use your device from any location at any time, you can select different countries.
Mathew Martin is a technical writer and loves to write blogs related to technology, cyber security, computer software and click on this norton.com/setup link to read more blogs.